L2T with CR123 body

Buffalohump

Enlightened
I'm thinking seriously about picking this combo up.

Can I hear from people who have this set up? Does the two stage thing work with both types of battery?

Does the add-on part match up exactly with the Fenix head or can you tell its an add-on?

The Huntlight FT-02X offers this as well, but without the two stage option.

I really like the idea of having interchangeable batt power.

arty

Enlightened
It works great, and looks good too. It comes in at just under 3 inches with the 123 tube.

I wonder if anyone has runtime plots for the combo?

clipse

Enlightened
Where are you getting it from. I'ld love to have a CR123 body for my L1T

edited to add: Nevermind, just found it. :)

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buffalohump wrote: "Does the two stage thing work with both types of battery?
Does the add-on part match up exactly with the Fenix head or can you tell its an add-on?
I really like the idea of having interchangeable batt power."

I just happen to have a CR123 body on loan for review - thanks to 4sevens (http://Fenix-Store.com)

The CR123 body for the Fenix L1T/L2T is a thing of beauty - cosmetically it matches the L1T/L2T head really well - which is somewhat amazing, since the typical CR123A battery is much fatter than an AA battery.

Here's a pic of the CR123 body with a L1T/L2T head and tailcap on -
L1TCR123sz.jpg

The visible part is mainly knurling/checkering which would mitigate any variance in anodization - and the flashlight that way looks like it was meant to be like that.

The machining/engineering is very precise, since they've managed to keep the diameter down to match the head and tailcap, yet accomodates a much fatter CR123 battery.

Battery compartment is snug for a typical Primary CR123 battery - in fact for some one may have to insert the battery tail first from the head end.

The body will also allow some 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123 - but some may be just too fat....... I have two different UNprotected 3.7V RCR123's and one fits and the other is just a bit too wide (so some Protected RCR123 may be too wide due to added circuitry in the battery).

(warning its' probably not a very good idea to try to force any battery - otherwise one may risk getting it stuck)

Think of the combinations one can have using a L1T/L2T head
- CR123, single AA and 2x AA with the appropriate bodies -
get the Fenix L2T with extra cr123a body and a L1T 1xAA Spare Body (or L1S 1xAA Spare Body)

Or better still - get a Fenix L1T and a Fenix L2S with extra cr123a body for 2 different heads that can be combined with 3 different bodies... my head's spinning!

I particularly like the L1T and L2S combination - see -

Fenix L2S/L1T Combo Review

Last edited:

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Your head is spinning? As a relative newbie to the crazy world of LED flashlights, I feel like I gotta take a night course to catch up with all the terminology (luxeon, cree, rigel, clickie, twistie, reverse clickie, r bin, t bin, u bin, 1 watt, 3 watt...etc etc)

But I think I'm making progress... :laughing:

I too am a bit confused as to which option to go for.

I prefer higher output, so therefore L2T appeals, but perhaps L1T would be more practical for EDC.

However, I think the combo price on the L2T + CR123 body is pretty good ($60).

Oi vey!

zapper

Enlightened
The batteries might be the only limitation to this setup. All the primaries I've used fit, but some more snugly than others. Also some protected and unprotected rechargeables may fit, ymmv.

I may keep my P1 but only because it is smaller than the L2T/CR123 (combo) body setup. If I had the CR2 body, the P1 would be gone. If I could somehow get a small as possible twisty tailcap made to make the combo even shorter, that would do it also.

The combo is slightly brighter and also has a lower level but the anodizing on the head is shiney compared to the body. It's so small (body) it's hard to tell the difference. I have to twist the head down fairly snug to the body to get the high output. On my L2P it works flawlessly. It is ever so slightly dimmer than the L2T or P1 and if you mod the tail switch you get a dual output light with a much longer runtime. Keeper combo.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a related question.
I have just received my CR123 bodys from 4-7s and was wondering what you guys that have them use for o-rings. None of the spares I have from either the Lxt's, P1, or Civictor will work. Where can I get some that will fit and how do I know which size I need? It appears to need something thinner than what is used on the origional AA bodys.
Any Ideas? If no one viewing this thread has an answer, maybe I'll start another thread. Just thought I'd toss it in here first.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should come with o-rings. Did you look inside the tube?
If not, I'm sure 4sevens will make it right.

Lite_me said:
I have a related question.
I have just received my CR123 bodys from 4-7s and was wondering what you guys that have them use for o-rings. None of the spares I have from either the Lxt's, P1, or Civictor will work. Where can I get some that will fit and how do I know which size I need? It appears to need something thinner than what is used on the origional AA bodys.
Any Ideas? If no one viewing this thread has an answer, maybe I'll start another thread. Just thought I'd toss it in here first.

arty

Enlightened
Mine came with a couple of o-rings in the mailing bag.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put mine together and noticed no O rings...but found them on the floor where I tore the bag open. Must have fallen on my pants and dropped to the floor when I stood up.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Mine was wrapped in bubble wrap, and the O rings were separate from the body but also in there.

I missed them at first as well. :)

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I FOUND THEM! I ordered 3 bodys. One is for a friend. I only opened one and stored the other one away for later. They were in that one. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Pokerstud

Enlightened
Buffalohump said:
Your head is spinning? As a relative newbie to the crazy world of LED flashlights, I feel like I gotta take a night course to catch up with all the terminology (luxeon, cree, rigel, clickie, twistie, reverse clickie, r bin, t bin, u bin, 1 watt, 3 watt...etc etc)

But I think I'm making progress... :laughing:

I too am a bit confused as to which option to go for.

I prefer higher output, so therefore L2T appeals, but perhaps L1T would be more practical for EDC.

However, I think the combo price on the L2T + CR123 body is pretty good ($60).

Oi vey!

That's a crazy handle you have there dude!! LOL

You will love the L2T with the CR123 tube, believe me, or the L2P. Very small and compact, bright, and I have found the Fenix's to be reliable, in as much as there is a chance of getting an off-white tint. My L2T is like snow, my L2P is a shade off white, and my L1T has a very slight greenish hue to it. I have found the clickie to be trouble free so far. I alternate the three lights as my EDC.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second what Pokerstud says about tint. I have two L2P heads, and two L2T heads, and only two of them are close in tint. However, I've found (and 4sevens has confirmed) that the more recent L1T/L2T heads have a more reliable white tint. The latest one I ordered is noticeably brighter than the other 3 also.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow have seen alot of posts on the cr123 tubes. Just ordered my L2t with cr123 tube!! It will add to my collection. There is just something about fenix lights that I like. They are very addictive.

nightrider

Enlightened
I got my 123 tube yesterday. I'm using it with an L1T. It's really nice and I like the knurling. The only dissapointment is that my Tenergy RCR123 Regulated/Protected cells will not fit. Even the primary cells that I have are a close, snug fit. Looks about the same as my P1 on high, and about the same or slightly less than my L1P on low mode.

A two-stage P1 with a clickie... well almost!

Last edited:

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Yeehah!

This seems to be a winning combo, with many happy customers... :sold:

I am ready to pull the trigger, but have to charge my IPD (Internet Purchashing Device) first. It is a little depleted right now, for some strange reason :whistle:

Looking forward to play... mess... uh, using my new flashlight when it arrives!

Thanks 4 all the input!

:goodjob:

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
I just got my CR123A body last night. Stuck it between my L2T head/tail cap and love it. Now I have to buy another L2T because I used it around the house so much (w/NiMH, 2400mAh Titaniums) and will miss it. This new combination fits where my L1 won't, so I will probably be carrying it more than the SF L1 now. I wish they would offer it as a complete light because I have a lot of Fenix "L" pieces/parts going unused.

St8kout

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine today and it's great.

The regular 123's fit just fine but not the rechargeables. I could probably make it fit if I removed the plastic wrap off the battery, or would that be a bad thing, since it's voltage is higher?

I've been running 1.2 volt rechargeables in the L2T body, so it's not only more compact but brighter too:)

Tailstanding is obviously much more stable than with the L2T.

Last edited:

LowTEC

Enlightened
UnknownVT said:
The body will also allow some 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123 - but some may be just too fat....... I have two different UNprotected 3.7V RCR123's and one fits and the other is just a bit too wide

Which brand or unprotected RCR123 fit and which one doesn't?