isp email or free account?

Spork

Enlightened
How many of you prefer a free email account over the one provided by your isp? I've had yahoo for a few years now and I'm tired of putting up with junk mail. I've been careful to stay off lists but I still get about 5 junk mails a day even with the spam guard on. with hotmail i get a little less but still not good enough. my reason for using them is because it would be simple to check my email when I'm away from home and would be a permanent address. however its not worth the time going through all the junk mail piled together with my normal messages. i know yahoo is letting certain junk mail through on purpose because I get a send 4 fun email everyday. the thing that i really hate is that to use yahoo and msn messenger you automatically get an email account. but thats ok I will just set up a filter so every message that comes to those accounts will go in the trash.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
The ease of checking web based e-mail away from your ISP is why I go w/ them. My ISP account is for very limited use. Some things require an ISP account. I put a question up about this a few weeks ago and I decided to go w/ Eudora, but I like Fastmail also. Juno seems slow. I just ignore adds and usually delete them w/o looking.
With all the dot.bombs you can't be sure about permanent anything but Hotmail and Yahoo seem to be safe

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Since I'm never away from my ISP
blush.gif
I use them for all e-mail, and let Netscape 4.08 do all the dirty work. Netscape's built-in mail handler isn't quite as prone to executing a virus as Eudora or other seperate mail clients are, and it serves my needs quite adequately. I can also set up filters for trashing spam, and for automatically redirecting certain messages to different folders other than your catch-all inbox.

AT&T Worldnet comes with a server-based "spaminator" type thing that catches a good amount of garbage mail before it hits your inbox, and the many filters I set up locally take care of about half of what little gets by the spaminator. So I only get 3 or 4 nastygrams a day, and I give those to Spamcop.

Before I got internet access, I had a Juno e-mail account. It was alright as a stand-alone, but I couldn't deal with all the $*(#*#@ ads. Even with an adbuster hack I made for it, that didn't stop the long process of loading pages of ads you got with each e-mail. So enough of that.
frown.gif