American Dad Vs Family Guy

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are funny cartoons. The adult Swim line up on the cartoon network is pretty good too.

Mad1

Enlightened
I know American Dad is made by the Family Guy people, but its worse than The Simpsons (newer eps) for humour. :|

Family Guy is the funnyest cartoon there is at the moment. American Dad just doesn't compair it to.

swampgator

Enlightened
My preferences in order:
1) Family Guy
2) Tie South Park
2) Tie Beavis and Butthead
4) American Dad

I guess I watch too many cartoons? As an aside, last year after having surgery I was watching a lot of Aquateen Hunger Force. Pretty durned funny while on pain meds. Not so funny sober.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
heres my preferance order
1)south park
2)King of the Hill
3)Simpsons
4)Family Guy
5)Futrama
6)American Dad

and i really like beavis and butthead but its not on that much, except on mtv then you have to watch there stupid music videos

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like south park the best, because it is so awesome and irreverent, but family guy is a close second. The simpsons have lost the edge...

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of the two, I like Family guy but having said that I have not seen alot of American Dad. I didn't know it was even on over here till last month.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
ATHF is an acquired taste. Then again, so is Tom goes to the Mayor, Squidbillies, SeaLab 2021, Space Ghost c2c, The Brak Show, etc. Lets not forget the grim adventures of billy and mandy. Scourage, the cartoon about a little dog and an eldery couple has to win hands down for the spookiest cartoon I have seen.

I like American Dad as it seems to point fun at poltical stuff going on today. The war on terror, racial profiling, gas guzzling suvs, etc. Kind of like how South Park does.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, having a milk shake, meat ball, pack of fries as characters does make it a bit difficult to make sense of, then again, has anyone watched fosters home for imaginary friends.

What I like is the humor and logic in the skits.

swampgator

Enlightened
Okay I watched a couple of ATHF episodes last night. The one where Shake buys a new nuclear grill and the 'all-knowing cube' episode. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.

Much funnier than the Family Guy episode I saw last night.

havand

Enlightened
The old Family Guy episodes are absolute classic. The new ones...Eh, not so much. They have a few gems, but there is just something 'off' about the new ones. Their joking timing i just all wrong. They either rush from joke to joke without pause (to let it sink in) or they extend the moment WAYYYYY to long. The old episodes had the perfect slight pause after someone said something ridiculous. The new ones either make light of this to an agonizing degree or rush to the next punchline. The one this past sunday was just pretty bad, i thought. I actually think American Dad has gotten really good. It was a little rocky in the beginning.

What is funny, to me atleast, is how many tastes have changed. When Futurama was on TV, I watched it sometimes, but didn't think too much of it. I thought Family Guy was light years better. Now, I actually prefer Futurama. There is more storyline, more going on, more to look at in the scenes, the jokes are usually a bit more subtle, but ridiculous none the less. It retains a higher rewatch value for me.

In short, the new Family Guy episodes are ALMOST on, just not quite right. Futurama is my favorite of the 3 and I can't wait for the new episodes/movies they're bringing out.

EDIT: ATHF: They're either sidesplitting or horrible. Nothing in between for me. Depends on the episode and my mood :)

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
So have any of the above cartoons offended any of you yet?
My wife was horrified at the Elizabeth Smart joke on Family Guy and we were both a bit surprised at the South Park Steve Irwin joke (not that it was ourageous -- we just thought it was still a little soon).
They all revel in pushing the line but has that line been crossed for any of you yet?

havand

Enlightened
GJW said:
My wife was horrified at the Elizabeth Smart joke on Family Guy and we were both a bit surprised at the South Park Steve Irwin joke (not that it was ourageous -- we just thought it was still a little soon).
They all revel in pushing the line but has that line been crossed for any of you yet?

That south park skit about Steve was bad enough to make me go 'awwww' while watching. It was a little extreme, even for them. At least within the joke they pointed out that it was 'too soon'. So atleast it wasn't as bad as it could have been. What caught me off guard wasn't that they made the joke...It was that they had the stingray hanging there.

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
Hey...its the new millenium...right ??? I CANNOT believe what is on TV these days...I am in awe!!!! I especially enjoy it when our teenage daughter joins us in the family room !!! I dunno ???lighten up huh !!Sure !!!...." Rome rots from within" !!!..." ...Its all good !! hmmmmm???????

havand

Enlightened
PhotonThrower said:
Hey...its the new millenium...right ??? I CANNOT believe what is on TV these days...I am in awe!!!! I especially enjoy it when our teenage daughter joins us in the family room !!! I dunno ???lighten up huh !!Sure !!!...." Rome rots from within" !!!..." ...Its all good !! hmmmmm???????

Wow..Little upset about something?

And if you want to discuss Rome rotting withing, there are a lot more issues farther up the list than TV IMO. Ever read the common practices and what was 'acceptable' (supposedly) in ancient Rome? Might wanna reconsider it as a Moral degredation comparison.

EDIT: And, on a personal sidenote, I don't find what is in Family Guy, American Dad, or South Park to be NEARLY as offensive as shows like CSI. I HATE those shows. I'm watching then all of a sudden they show a burnt corpse for 5 minutes..What is that? It seems like just about everyone (of all age groups, maybe slightly more towards the older scale) LOVE those shows! There is a ton of them on as well. This is just my opinion and from my point of view, but atleast South Park tries to be political and actually points out how RIDICULOUS so many things are (If the viewer is old/mature enough to 'get the message'. Most young kids watching it, I admit, arn't. They just think its 'offensive' so they like it). The political and social issues tackled by South Park are actually pretty staggering. It is only a matter of weeks and South Park will have a take on it. Pretty amazing. Like the election episode with Puff Daddy and the whole 'Vote' campaign? I won't say it on the forum, but if you remember what the two people running for office were named, it was a rather accurate take on our election process. :/

Last edited:

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
True, was a bit over the edge !...and there are countless other issues which are fundamentally more repugnant...but....IMNSHO...todays TV truly has an amazing
latitude /freedom. I think some of the comedy on these adult animations are very, very funny...I know...talkin outa both ends !!! but....they are sometimes just too much...just too gross !!! ...and no...I find veiwing a CSI " burnt corpse " disturbing..but.."shock value"... its all about ratings ===> money !!
Well...enough blahx3...and just what was wrong with the Roman family tradition of " Pater familus "(Pre first century) What a deal...If you were the " Big Daddy"

swampgator

Enlightened
GJW said:

South Park

To me it seems that Matt and Trey either do something completely funny or completely sick. I'm don't get offended easily but some of the stuff they do goes over the line. Especially their jabs on religion. But if it's offensive I watch something else.