Forum etiquette..

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been brought up in the Forum Q/A section, but doesn't seem to be getting much exposure there, so thought I'd throw it in here and see if anyone has any comments.

Basically, just interested in peoples' ideas and general rules of thumb when using forums like this in addition to email etc. I've been doing this stuff for around 10 years now, so here are a few of mine:

1. Email or postings are written communication, just like a letter, so the same care should be taken when writing it.

2. Think carefully about what is written, because too often once sent (in the case of email) you can't take it back. Even postings can be copied and saved beyond your control.

3. Like any written communication, what you write will remain for people to come back and read and re-read - unlike a verbal conversation, you can't just say 'you misunderstood me' or 'you didn't hear me correctly'. Its all there in black and white, to be understood and misunderstood. So best to think before you send.

4. Never write email or post while emotional! If a post or message rubs you the wrong way, take a deep breath, count to ten, go for a walk, anything. Then write what you want. Then take another deep breath, go for a walk, and ask yourself if it is really what you want to say. Then don't send it, and write something else
smile.gif

5. Always read your messages/posts back to yourself and try to imagine what the person receiving/reading it will think it means - don't assume "they'll know what I mean.."

6. Smileys and emoticons can help set the tone of a message, but they cannot replace body language. So don't rely on them too much to get your meaning across.

Hmm, thats all I can think of..

Please note that I am not mentioning this because of any particular activity here on CPF. I just think that with the large number of members here now, there are bound to be more people less experienced with these kind of forums, and therefore a greater chance of misunderstanding/miscommunication.

So, anyone else have any rules of thumb they'd like to share?

Graham

Size15's

Flashaholic
I hope people know that our Moderators are here to help.

If you are concerned about something you want to post, or something that someone else has posted, please contact us and we'll see what we can do.

CPF is a friendly board for light-minded people to discuss erm... lights and related topics.

Al

Big Tex

Enlightened
One thing I've noticed is people interjecting comments into people's FS/T threads. If someone is really not interested in buying/trading for the item, then I think these comments are not necessary and a bit on the "rude" side. Just my opinion.

Darell

Flashaholic
However, adding comments to a FS thread can also "bump" the post and keep more eyes on it - so that sort of thing isn't ALL bad, at least. [Moderator edit (Jahn) - Darell is so very reasonable - what a guy !!]
wink.gif
The transaction is usually taken care of via private email anyway, so as long as the title of the thread stays in everybody's vision, nobody really loses.