CREE-XR-E vs my other LED lights - BEAMSHOTS~

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Today i received my A19 CREE-XR-E and decided to see what all the hype was about so i decided to do some beamshots with some other popular lights. You be the judge.

• All shots were taken at a distance of 35 ft from target
  • Camera was set to 'manual' mode with an f-stop of 3.2
BEAMSHOTS.JPG

And just for grins...the AE PL24 Powerlight
:grin2:

CANON.jpg

Last edited:

ScottyJ

Enlightened
Wow...you have a lot of cool lights, thanx for the cree foto, I have a P1 and An HDS U60XRGT, so it was a great comparison for me.

Very Nice.:goodjob:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not quite the winner but, gota love that Mag 85! :)

Nice beamshots! :goodjob:

Dave

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
iNDiGLo,
My compliments on your shots! A lot of folks post beamshots, (and God bless them!), but it's sometimes hard to ascertain the differences in their pictures. The differences are easily seen in yours and the use of the storage building helps immensely. Good job.

The Crees sure look promising and it'll be interesting to see what's available in another year or so as technology in lights is moving as fast as computers were in the '90's.

aceo07

Enlightened
Is the shutter speed the same for all the pictures? It seems like the sky is a bit brighter/darker on some of the pictures. Or is it because the sun was setting around the time you did this project?

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I think the incredible part of the A19 Cree XRE isn't the brightness - though it's definitely bright - but rather the fact that this brightness is married to a phenomenal spillbeam. Look at Indiglo's pictures again. Obviously, the center of the shed is brighter with the Cree than with any other LED in this shootout. But what's more amazing is the spill. If you look carefully, you'll notice that the Fenixes, Mags, and HDS all create a ring of light, but that this ring fails to illuminate the outer edges of the shed. Now look at the Cree - the entire shed is lit up!

I've noticed that my own A19 has the throw of a Lux III with the spill of a Lux V. It provides a really nice "context," because the floody portion just lights up my surroundings. And, of course, it can still reach out and light up objects 50 feet away. Impressive!

Thanks for the great beamshots, Indiglo - this was a nice shootout!

- FITP

EDIT: Looking at the pictures again, I just noticed that the A19 Cree also illuminates (admittedly somewhat dimly) the grass pathway to the shed. It's like the best of both worlds - a floody, throwy, LuxIII/LuxV combo. =)

Last edited:

chocho

Newly Enlightened
I was going to write EXACTLY what FITP wrote (about the brightness of the spillbeam).

Look how it illuminates the ENTIRE structure.

FITP beat me to it...:ohgeez:

Last edited:

Lucero

Enlightened
Just to know for certain... those details on the shed doors are printed, and not actual separate pieces of wood. That's a wood door image, right? The Mag85 is nicely bright (owner, here) and washes out those details. It's impressive how the XRE preserves the details and showers the face of the shed with light.

Lucero

McGizmo

Flashaholic
FITP,
Well said! I too appreciate the fact that the XR, by virtue of its flux and beam distribution puts significant light in the spill which reduces the contrast from spot to spill. A bright spot with sharp fall off can allow you to search for targets at greater distances but it does require that you search for them. Much better, IMHO, to have enough illumination beyond the spot to help you acquire the target without needing to run a search pattern. Of course I over simplify here and in certain conditions one is mandatory over the other. I don't use lights in a tactical environment and if the target is out of reach, I can usually move closer to the target. I am more concerned and interested in a wider field of view closer at hand, typically. I need shotgun type delivery of photons as opposed to high powered rifle delivery. :eek:

Mike89

Enlightened
One thing I'll say about beamshots. While they give some indication when comparing, they are not at all representative of how much you can actually see with the light on.

I did this same test at 35 feet with my L2T and I can see a whole lot more than what the beamshot shows. Holding it a stomach level I can see all the way from about 4 feet away from me on the ground all the way to the shed and I can see a little on each side of the shed (with the spot right in the middle of the shed). Sometimes a camera doesn't pick up all what the eye can see.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much!! great shots!

I see alot in that CREE!
the upgrade for the CR2 Ion at 4 sevens is tempting!!!