Help find me a pocket light.

Giezr

Newly Enlightened
I want something with a (really) good throw for my pocket.

I used to carry a Surefire 6P with a P61 lamp. However with a cellphone, keys, and a pocket knife I found the head of the 6P to be a little large in the pocket.

I carry a Inova X5 now, and I'm happy with it's size but I want more output and throw.

I was looking at an Inova T1 but I don't know if thats much different than my X5.

What should I get? Price isn't that much of an issue. Battery life would be nice but I'm looking for output over battery life.

Thanks Again,
Giezr

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want throw you need a big reflector, and the output of that p61 will be hard to approach with any pocketable LED. You might look into some modder setup like a Streamlight TL2 with 2xRCR123A and a TL3 bulb. Total output will be in the same ballpark as your P61 but the beam might be a little narrower and the light a little bit smaller.

(edit): Oh wait, you're not trying to beat the P61, just the X5 which is a pretty weak light. Yeah, just about anything. Why not an E2e or A2 if you like Surefire incans? If you want LED there's lots of choices too.

Last edited:

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the P1 and the throw is great...you are right, I have the X5 and the T1 and there is not a whole lot of difference. You could also go with the Ord Raw.....that is the next purchase for me..

Macaw

Enlightened
The Peak LED solutions has the Ranier on sale for $82. It is one of the best throwing 1x123A flashlights I've ever seen. The Aleph 19 with the Cree XR-E does outperform it by a little but at nearly 3X the price.

Giezr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I wasn't aware of the orb, that looks like a cool little light.

I was debating getting a ED2 but after reading all of this I'm proabably gonna order a P1.

Thanks Again,
Giezr

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Surefire L4

Very good throw. Smaller diameter head than P6. Good pocket-carry clip. (Just a bit too stiff, but not bad).

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom said:
Surefire L4

Very good throw. Smaller diameter head than P6. Good pocket-carry clip. (Just a bit too stiff, but not bad).

Joking :confused: Good flood but weak throw:whistle:

Best regards

____
Tom

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Long John said:
Joking :confused: Good flood but weak throw:whistle:

Nope. Not joking. My job involes patrolling the widest building on Manhattan Island, at night. One of the painfully few advantages of my job is countless opportunities to test out the lights in my collection. My Surefire L4's throw is definitely not weak.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom said:
Nope. Not joking. My job involes patrolling the widest building on Manhattan Island, at night. One of the painfully few advantages of my job is countless opportunities to test out the lights in my collection. My Surefire L4's throw is definitely not weak.

I'm glad, that you like your L4 and that you think, it would have a "very good throw". Perhaps compared to the other lights in your collection it appears to you it would have throw due to it's overall output but it's definetly not a good thrower.

Gietzr asked: "I want something with a (really) good throw for my pocket."

And the SF L4 is not a good advice for his requisition.

Best regards

____
Tom

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Long John said:
I'm glad, that you like your L4 and that you think, it would have a "very good throw". Perhaps compared to the other lights in your collection it appears to you it would have throw due to it's overall output but it's definetly not a good thrower.

Gietzr asked: "I want something with a (really) good throw for my pocket."

And the SF L4 is not a good advice for his requisition.

Honestly, I don't appreciate your cute way of insulting my intelligence.... or my collection. Your blatant statement that "it's definitely not a good thrower," followed by no explanation of why you feel that way, is proof of your arrogence. I don't know if you own or have tested out a Surefire L4 against other lights.... or if you're just blindly repeating something others have told you. Once again, "Widest building in all of Manhattan Island." each floor = 1 football field long, divided into 4 corridors. One end to the other = very good throw. But I'm willing to admit that is a subjective conclusion. You could have stated that you disagree, without trying to be "cute" about it.

atm

Enlightened
It might be worth taking into account that english is probably not Long John's first language, and that he may not be aware of, or had intended, the inference you took from his post. My reading is that he was trying to make his point politely.

Andrew

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire L4 Has HORRIBLE throw!
Its not meant at all to be a good thrower.
L4 is Pure Flood and is meant for Lighting up an Area no farther than 20Yds.

People Are Entitled to their opinion though.

Chuck289

Enlightened
I think since Giezr is used to the 6P, the L4 would be a much weaker thrower compared to the 6P. It's all relative.

But I would also recomend the P1, or an L1

Monocrom

Flashaholic
To: atm-

I agree that perhaps English is not Long John's first language. But from what I've seen, he's very articulate and often posts intelligently. The insult was a bit of a surprise. I'm old enough to know how to read between the lines.
---------

To: Skalomax-

Well then I guess my L4 is some sort of Next Gen prototype that someone accidentally shipped to a distributor! Having seen the results myself, I can definitely say that the throw is out further than just 20 feet. (All of a sudden, I'm reminded of that old cartoon with the talking bear. Everyone tells him he's a funny-looking man in a fur coat who needs a shave. I feel like the bear).
--------
To: Chuck289-

Thank You! You said it best.