Reverse beam shot? Possible!

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reverse beam shot? Possible!

The other day I was looking at a video clip of someone's home brewed lens tube that was place in front of the red laser to make it pop the balloon at farther distance. SO I thought I should try it with my led flashlight but with simpler version which is just a magnifying glass. After a few adjustment or focus, I can't believe that I was seeing a "reversed beam shot" which is like you are looking at the light but it won't blind you. I started to have fun and tried this with several other lights and I noticed that I can even focus so that I can see the 2 tiny wires in the led's! Moreover a fine adjustment can focus anywhere from the very front of the reflector to the led. I can clearly see the texture of the reflector too.

It is fun and easy to do but taking pictures with one hand holding the magnifying glass and the camera in the other was not that easy so the pictures may be not that sharp.

Let's start off with the StreamLight Ultra Stinger with regular beam shot followed by the reversed beam shot (RBS):

PICT4476Medium.jpg

PICT4478Medium.jpg

Next 3 are from the GatLight, Pelican Recoil and the Coast 4 color led:
PICT4532Medium.jpg

PICT4530Medium.jpg

PICT4522Medium.jpg

Last edited:

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next 3 are from the Surefire Kroma:

PICT4517Medium.jpg

PICT4515Medium.jpg

PICT4513Medium.jpg

Next 3 from the SureFire L6 Porcupine where you can see different focusing points:

PICT4496Medium.jpg

PICT4498Medium.jpg

PICT4500Medium.jpg

Next is the SureFire 9AN dual bulbs:

PICT4485Medium.jpg

And last, if you care to guess what is it?

PICT4480Medium.jpg

Last edited:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Wow- kind of some alternate reality!
It lets you check out reflector alignment really well.
Is that last "beamshot" a LumaRay FL-6? I don't own one, but I am reminded of one somehow....

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gothmog, you arecorrect! :goodjob:

ICUDoc: the Lumaray RBS is below: (you can even see the little 2 wires in the leds)

PICT4536Medium.jpg

Last edited:

maxilux

Enlightened
Yes, looks funny but what does this pictures say?? What can i do with this ?

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
ICUDoc already mentioned one: It lets you check out reflector alignment really well.
I use one as my desktop wall paper.

I have FUN looking at those.

What do you do with the images you see everyday? :huh2:

maxilux said:
Yes, looks funny but what does this pictures say?? What can i do with this ?

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Archangel,

You will need the magnifier about 2" diameter and up. Try with diffrent distance starting from a few feet to the wall and up. Also try to hold the lens at slightly different angles for odd effects.
Archangel said:
That's pretty slick. I'll have to pick up magnifying glass.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow cool. I've done similar with a magifying lens but never got the results you got!!

BTW off-topic, I bet the recoil would focus a cree XR-E greatly!! Maybe even tighter than the luxeon since the beam angle is more narrow!

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Arrr, missed the diagnosis!
Happy to lose out to Lt Gothmog, 'though!
tanasit I am impressed that you happen to have a LumaRay available just to show me the differences!