Unforseen problem with MMag3AA and rechargable batts

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been using energizer lithiums in my MMag 3aa light, when I saw a graph showing 2600mah rechargables would give the same runtime. I went out and bought 4 2500mah (energizer) batts and a slow charger (all in one package) for around $20 at Target.

I charged the batteries and everything worked great... the first night. When the beam became dim I threw the 3 batts on the charger leaving the 4th unused battery's spot empty. The beam started out bright but dimmed within 30 minutes. I had thrown away the instructions (put batts in the right direction seemed pretty simple to me) but thought that I must need to charge all 4 batts at once or the 3rd batt would not charge. I knew that I could charge only 2 batts in the charger from the instructions. Again...4 batteries-1 unused-3 very low were charged until the light went off on the charger. Again, dimming after 30 min.

I emailed energizer and they said their charger could charge 2 or 4 batts only. My belief is that unless all 4 are = dead, it will stop charging when it senses the full battery.

Can anyone recomend a charger that can do 3 and only 3 AA's? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
RayOvac universal battery charger Model# PS3
It will charge 1-4D, 1-4C, 1-8AA, 1-8AAA, 1 9V NiCD, NiMH, rechargeable alkalines.
I've been charging 3AAA no pronlem

With your Energizer charger you can:
Charge all 4 batteries
Use #123 in torch put #4 aside
Charge #12
Use #124 in torch put #3 (dead) aside
Charge all 4 batteries
If it is over a month since the last charge you can charge all 4 batteries

This thread belong s in the Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included forum.

Last edited:
woodrow said:
I had been using energizer lithiums in my MMag 3aa light, when I saw a graph showing 2600mah rechargables would give the same runtime. I went out and bought 4 2500mah (energizer) batts and a slow charger (all in one package) for around $20 at Target.

I charged the batteries and everything worked great... the first night. When the beam became dim I threw the 3 batts on the charger leaving the 4th unused battery's spot empty. The beam started out bright but dimmed within 30 minutes. I had thrown away the instructions (put batts in the right direction seemed pretty simple to me) but thought that I must need to charge all 4 batts at once or the 3rd batt would not charge. I knew that I could charge only 2 batts in the charger from the instructions. Again...4 batteries-1 unused-3 very low were charged until the light went off on the charger. Again, dimming after 30 min.

I emailed energizer and they said their charger could charge 2 or 4 batts only. My belief is that unless all 4 are = dead, it will stop charging when it senses the full battery.

Can anyone recomend a charger that can do 3 and only 3 AA's? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Kodak cheapie with 4 cells for $12 ish from Wal-Mart should do anything from 1-4 if I recall correctly.

Also, the 15 minute and 30 minute charger from both Energizer and Duracell can do anything from one to four cells.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take it back if you still can and add about 10 more bucks for the 15 minute charger; it's so worth it.

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
I've had no problem using duracell 2650 mAh. No problems charging them using a 15 minute charger (takes 20 min). From flashlightreviews.com it starts to dim after about 30 minutes, but should take almost 3 hours to 50%.

KEN TYE

Newly Enlightened
I am using the DURACELL model CEF80NC . it will do 1-4 AA in about an hour. it has reg/green LED for each cell to let you know when done. youu can get it at wally world