SMJLED PR to Garrity Lantern W/4D Adapter

Marlite

Enlightened
I have seen a post where a CPFr advised using the SMJLED PR bulb with just 2 batteries and 2 dummies in a Garrity 6volt lantern with an 4D Garrity Adapter.
Another post mentioned removing 2 batteries and rewiring due to reverse polarity. How is it that when I remove one in each direction the lantern doesn't light in this manner? Can someone show me the way till the 3-9 led's arrive? Search didn't help.

Thanks in advance,
Marlite

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 4D lantern that uses a battery carrier. I just flipped the batteries upside down and then used some telephone wire to finish the circuit of the other 2 cells. It's great for emergencies and it's great knowing that still have 2 more batteries from the pack when the first two run out.

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
How's the beam look with one of those things? And is that safe, completeing the circuit with the wire like that? Any possiblily of that shorting or anything?

Skibane

Enlightened
tebore said:
I have a 4D lantern that uses a battery carrier. I just flipped the batteries upside down and then used some telephone wire to finish the circuit of the other 2 cells. It's great for emergencies and it's great knowing that still have 2 more batteries from the pack when the first two run out.

Have you considered wiring the two pairs of batteries in parallel instead? 4 D-cells supplying 3 volts should give you slightly longer total run-time than 2 D-cells replaced with 2 more D-cells. Plus, you only need to replace the batteries half as often.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skibane said:
Have you considered wiring the two pairs of batteries in parallel instead? 4 D-cells supplying 3 volts should give you slightly longer total run-time than 2 D-cells replaced with 2 more D-cells. Plus, you only need to replace the batteries half as often.

I've thought about that. But my Carrier is a cheaper kind that if were to change it would break it.

It's extremely safe. a pic later when I get my cam back. It's just a wire tied and soldered.

If you've seen a PR SMJ in other lights you know they are throw monsters. When joined with a lantern made for throw, this thing is a cannon. With ENDURANCE!!!!

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marlite said:
Can someone show me the way till the 3-9 led's arrive? Search didn't help.

Thanks in advance,
Marlite

I'm starting to wonder if they are ever going to show up....

Marlite

Enlightened
Tebore and Skibane

Thanks for your replies. I hope that the photo Tebore takes shows clearly the wiring solution. Skibane can you describe further? Any danger of shorting? I been holding off, waiting for the same bulb Lit Up is looking for. Does polarity have any effect here?

I agree it would be a thrower and a lot less ringy than the PR incan with the ugly golden donut. The big reflector throws great! These lanterns are underused because replacement 6V batts cost way more than a new complete light.

Thanks for your help.
Marlite

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could always buy 2 2D battery holders, wire them in parallel and hook them up inside the light.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys asked for photos and you got it. I made some changes. I found another holder at walmart and I figured I'd mod it to do it in parallel. Sorry I don't have a before beam shot.

Last edited:

Marlite

Enlightened
tebore said:
You guys asked for photos and you got it. I made some changes. I found another holder at walmart and I figured I'd mod it to do it in parallel. Sorry I don't have a before beam shot.
Tebore

Thank you very much for your fine photos, the visuals are helpful for electically challenged dudes. This will double battery life and more as touted by Skibane?
I think this is a valuable service for CPF and many will find this "mod" ideal for indoors, outdoors, blackouts, emergencies and disaster situations.

Many thanks,
Marlite

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep this is 4Ds in a 2Sx2P config. This should give me a weeks worth of run time. It's not as bright as it was when it was running 4Ds(6v) pushing a 3D Mag Krypton bulb.

It was quick and dirty mod to see if it would work. I gotta add solder to the tied connections.

BEpsilon

Newly Enlightened
Any friendly CPFr knows where I could get one/two cheap SMJLED PR bulb here? I have seen enough posts on this, and I must try it out. :) Thanks.

Marlite

Enlightened
BEpsilon said:
Any friendly CPFr knows where I could get one/two cheap SMJLED PR bulb here? I have seen enough posts on this, and I must try it out. :) Thanks.

Hi BEpsilon

See: www.lighthound.com

Lighthound has them for $8.95 postpaid. Look under Maglight Accessories.......really. Ensure they are the SMJLED PR 2 - 4 die model as the 2 die reportedly has a shorter life. They are only for use in a 2 Cell light . Which is why we're doing his mod. Every one else is out of stock!

Enjoy, Marlite

BEpsilon

Newly Enlightened
Marlite said:
Ensure they are the SMJLED PR 2 - 4 die model as the 2 die reportedly has a shorter life.

Thanks Marlite. I found it on Lighthound, but the description doesn't say if it's a 2-die or 4-die model.

Could you (or any other CPF member) tell me how to check please? Like... Ask the retailer? Markings on the bulb?

Thanks.

Marlite

Enlightened
BEpsilon said:
Thanks Marlite. I found it on Lighthound, but the description doesn't say if it's a 2-die or 4-die model.

Could you (or any other CPF member) tell me how to check please? Like... Ask the retailer? Markings on the bulb?
Thanks.
Hi BEpsilon

Mine are marked 2 CELL. 4 die tiny wires are seen when magnified. Email John @ Lighthound one of CPF's favorite dealers to confirm.

Enjoy, Marlite