LED's Forum has reached 2,000 Topics !!

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED\'s Forum has reached 2,000 Topics !!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

LED, Electrolumenescent and Lasers Forum has reached 2,000 topic headings, 21456 posts.
I feel like a really momentous point has been reached.

General Flashlight and Headlamp Discussion is on 1583 topic headings. (14792 posts)

If all that people say is true, within 3 years or so, LED's will overtake Incands for flashlight applications requiring 250 Lu or so, if not even more.

I'll be kinda sad when Incands become curiosities or museum pieces, but the world moves on ......

lightlover

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED\'s Forum has reached 2,000 Topics !!

You know, I still remember when I first started lurking here back at the start of 2001, the LED board made it to the first 1000 posts! That was fun.

It`s always been more popular than the incandescent side. I wonder if it may be something to do with all the Mods and stuff they like building and discussing? The incandescent side is usually just about the torches.

Maybe we should have a Mods forum? Not my interest really, but loads here enjoy doing them. Just an idea.

tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Actually, I've always wondered why all the posts for circuits & drivers like the ZLT weren't posted in or moved to the power supplies & batteries forum.
confused.gif

It says right in the header:
Electronics Forum. Batteries Included
A forum for discussing power sources and circuits.

Wouldn't "electronics" and "power sources & circuits" include the ZLT and the Satcure and all the other related drivers and inverters that people have been building, and posting in the LED forum?

If the threads *should* be (or are) moved, they should all be done at once, in a single sitting. That way, there wouldn't be ZLT threads scattered in both for any longer than the time it takes to move them.

Should I test out my new moderator hat, or keep it on the table while this is debated for awhile? I'm open to discussion on this one, so it isn't something that'll happen behind anyone's back.

Empath

Flashaholic

Some of the threads are clearly more "circuit" oriented than LED, and the Electronics forum would likely be the more fitting area. Others are closely intertwined, and may be comfortably on-topic in either forum. Still, a precedence, probably due to the overlapping relationships, exists.

I too would be interested in the views of our elders. Would it make for a cleaner LED forum, and also prove attractive for our Electronics forum?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Actually, I've always wondered why all the posts for circuits & drivers like the ZLT weren't posted in or moved to the power supplies & batteries forum.
confused.gif

Should I test out my new moderator hat, or keep it on the table while this is debated for awhile? I'm open to discussion on this one, so it isn't something that'll happen behind anyone's back.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig- I have often though that myself-
But Batteries Included is so neat and uncluttered now. Those 30+ page topics will mess it up
tongue.gif

Actually, I'm thinking that maybe what should be done is when David gets back a new forum should be started (unless Brock wants to do it now)- Batteries Included should be battery related topics, and then a NEW forum for electronic circuits.

Because Batteries are "universal" to the CPF world, they are of interest to everyone here, but LED driver circuits etc. are of little or no interest to the incandescent crowd, so why should they have to wade through the circuit posts to decide what battery will work best with their application? What you think Empath?

And maybe THIS discussion should go over to Admin & Moderator forum?

Brock

Flashaholic

I think when the thread was started it was only a batteries section. Once the electronics and batteries section opened I was tempted to move it but I thought I might really confuse people so I left it. It definitely belongs in the electronics and battery section.

Craig or whoever, if you want to use you new powers to move the post feel free to move away.

Empath

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron:
What you think Empath?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The idea of a dedicated "circuit" forum has been presented at one time to David. David advised that there is already one, in the Electronics/Batteries forum. Whether they're in the LED forum or Battery Forum there are those that have to wade through something that doesn't have great appeal to them. Practically everyone loves the LED forum, and will continue to monitor whether they're crowded by circuit lovers or not. By moving the subject to it's proper forum, Electronics, Batteries Included, some new, knowledgeable, and interesting participants would become active participants. The postings represent members rather than just words. We may become crowded, but it's a crowd of great people.

Unless one's options are set to view old messages, the lack of participation of the inactive ones will render them unseen anyway.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Well I think the matter is pretty much settled then. As soon as I reboot the computer and go back online, I'll start moving, starting with the most recent and moving my way through all 2,000 threads.

I'm only going to move them if it's obvious what the threads are for (ie. Zetex, ZLT comparisons, Satcure, etc. in the title). I don't need to move every thread that has the word Satcure buried in it, if you know what I mean.
smile.gif

See ya all on the flip side.
Sorry I haven't been around this evening. Just finished up a very long game of Wolfenstein 3-D and ended up with 1,295,700 points. That may be close to a record.
blush.gif

Oh yes, the picture... right.

dscn1408.jpg

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I've decided that instead of hunting down & moving *every single thread* that was ever posted about driver circuits, that it would be better to just move those that have seen any activity in the last few months. I've arbitrarily set January 31 2002 as the cutoff date. No threads posted or showing their last sign of activity prior to then was moved. It doesn't make sense to do all the work for a thread for which interest in has been long since lost.

Comments? Objections? Fire mail?
wink.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
We may become crowded, but it's a crowd of great people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, I guess I didn't state my case clearly enough. My stupid little joke was the only thing that seems to have come through. I was just JOKING about the long threads "cluttering up" the forum.

My real point was that I think that Batteries (and chargers etc.) deserve a separate forum, because EVERYONE here has a battery need /interest, but only a small percentage really care about circuits etc. There are a lot more flashlight buyers than there are builders and "modders".