Glass Breaker on M@g-lite?

stonehenge69

Newly Enlightened
Recently I've been kicking around the idea of installing a glass breaker on the end of my M@g85. I've come up with several possible ways to go about it but would like to know if anyone here has done this, and if so, how you went about it.

All comments, gripes, and bitches welcome.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can actually buy a glass breaker tail cap for it (made by a company other than Maglite). Sorry, I don't have any links at the moment, but a little searching might find what I'm talking about. A little waiting might be good enough, too, as I remember there being some threads relating to the tail caps that I'm talking about, and I think I also remember some people having bought them.

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
correct me if im wrong but isnt a m@g already a glass breaker i meen you shouldnt really have to do any thing to such a big and bulky item to break glass.

stonehenge69

Newly Enlightened
benchmade_boy said:
correct me if im wrong but isnt a m@g already a glass breaker i meen you shouldnt really have to do any thing to such a big and bulky item to break glass.

A car window is harder to break than a lot of people realize.
I've seen a Mag-light bounce off of tempered glass on more than one occasion.

Here's a pic of one I did a while back.
It's a combination glass breaker and skull/sternum crusher :naughty:
I'd like to go with something a little more subtle on this one.

Trey

GBSM4.jpg

swampgator

Enlightened
stonehenge69 said:

A co-worker at the department I used to work at severely injured his hand and thumb when using a Mag to bust a driver's side window. It took several blows then finally gave way. He severed a nerve in his thumb on the shattered glass as he was pulling out a suspect.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
man stonehenge69 that is one wicked looking peice. to bad its on a mag and not a surefire.

i always wonderd if my surefire could break glass in a life or death situation

Gnufsh

Enlightened
Car side windows are tempered glass and can be difficulty to break. I've seen them take a couple good hits with the back side of an axe (not the pick kind) without breaking. If it's really important to break car windows, get a spring-loaded window punch. It makes it super easy. A roll of duct tape can also be useful. Tape over the window (leaving the lower left corner free and add a handle). Use the window punch in the lower left corner and you can just pull out the tape/window combo.

Blacktop

Newly Enlightened
How about epoxying a BB to the tail cap? Should make a fine enough point without being, well...too pointy.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
stonehenge69 said:

Here's a pic of one I did a while back.
It's a combination glass breaker and skull/sternum crusher :naughty:
I'd like to go with something a little more subtle on this one.

Trey

Hey fellow USN Brother! Nice Strider Nightmare! ;)

Gnufsh

Enlightened
Blacktop said:
How about epoxying a BB to the tail cap? Should make a fine enough point without being, well...too pointy.
BB might not be sharp enough to do it well. Also, it's better to have a hardened steel point, if you're going to be using a lot. I'd also go for something stronger than epoxy.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
benchmade_boy said:

While in the army I tried one night to break a glass window in a front door because no one would answer. (An idiot and his wife left the kids at home alone and didn't take their keys.)
I hit it, hard, with my nightstick and left about a three inch streak of black paint on the window. But it made enough noise to wake the kids.

Tempered glass needs a point source and a spring loaded punch is the best choice. It's instant and you don't end up with your arm through the window if you hit to hard. A car antenna with a ball on the end held flat on the window with the tip pulled back and flicked against it works well.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
In days of old when cops carried a .38 Special revolver, there were more than a few documented cases of recovering the fragments of the bullet after it had sturck and bounced off of a car window (not the windshield). While it was more common to hear of such instances with the 200 gr round nose bullets, there were a few with the 158 gr round nose as well, especially if it hit the rear window at an angle.

Mike Painter said:
While in the army I tried one night to break a glass window in a front door because no one would answer. (An idiot and his wife left the kids at home alone and didn't take their keys.)
I hit it, hard, with my nightstick and left about a three inch streak of black paint on the window. But it made enough noise to wake the kids.

Tempered glass needs a point source and a spring loaded punch is the best choice. It's instant and you don't end up with your arm through the window if you hit to hard. A car antenna with a ball on the end held flat on the window with the tip pulled back and flicked against it works well.