Where's the Tri XR-E Heatsinks for M*g Mods?!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why hasn't anyone made one of these sinks yet? I'm sure there would be a high demand... A screw style heat sink would be idea... made to the McR-19 spec or something...

Thanks for any comments!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure someone out there is either designing one or waiting for the XR-E shipment to come it to see how it all goes together. These things take time...

Looks like I'll have to make my Quad XR-E out of a dremel and drill press. :( This might take awhile but it will be worth it. :)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
bent, if you decide on doing it hollah at y0 boy...

sadly my dang LED mod projects are current canceled until the XR-E becomes more established....

whoever comes out with a quality screw in, tri/quad heatsink first is going to make a lot of money!

Nell

Enlightened
jar3ds said:

sadly my dang LED mod projects are current canceled until the XR-E becomes more established....

whoever comes out with a quality screw in, tri/quad heatsink first is going to make a lot of money!

Agreed with the changes with plans and purchases. I would like to see a M#G D or C cell version also.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:

Decide?
My wife is aware of the money pit my Quad Mag has become :( HA-III Mag, HA-III black strike bezel, four McR19 reflectors, MaxFlex current regulator, XR-E LEDs, 8AA to 2D battery holder, glass lens, Powerex 2700 NiMH batteries, chargers, TwoFish bike blocks (for mounts) and thermal epoxy add up quickly! She gives me "that look" when the parts come trickling in so there is no looking back now. My "bike light" has to move forward or she is going to shoot me!
Under threat of serious body harm I am going to build the heat sink. That increasing pile of flashlight parts had better turn itself into a bright bike light or I'll have to change my name to "BustedHead"

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've thought about doing such a thing, but lack the requisite machine tools. I have some sketches...

The main stunbling block right now is the lack of small optics/reflectors designed for the XR-E. The main contender right now seems to be McGizmo's McR-19. I love the McR-19 in my A19 XR-E, but at roughly $15 each, that's a bit much to be spending on optics...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Found my sketches:
XS-000.png

XS-001.png

XS-002.png

Maybe if I dig up some detailed mechanical specs on the D maglite and the XLamp I can finish the design. I know that my CAD model of the maglite is lacking, and the XLamp spec sheet is missing a few dimensions.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of one for the cree optics once I see a beamshot... Optics if they have some spill would be nice as they would cast some light inside to charge glow poxy!

My only problem with a quad mag is with the cree they voltage Vf to current graph is way different than luxeon and DD doesn't seem to be so easy of an option. :( I don't want to run multiple drivers, just one, but I want to use 3xNiMH cells... Any suggestions? (no drivers do ~3amps output!)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Have you looked at The Shark? Running the LED's in series @ 1000mA with 3 NiMH powering it, you should stay under the 4A input threshhold right up until the cell voltage drops as the cells get into the last 10% or so of their life.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, forgot about that. I'll run it through the formula I have and see if indeed it will work and what runtime it would be. That'd be awesome.