I had a pretty strange day today.....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I was waking up from a nice afternoon nap.My wife had just handed me a package from Aragorn(Trevor)with a couple of flashlights in it,and I was just about to open the package.All of the sudden,I hear what sounds like someone trying to break into my house.So I run out into the living room,and I see a border collie standing up at my all glass storm door trying to press down the door lever with his front paws.It is barking and trying to find a way into my house.I'm still not sure at this point if I am dreaming,but I quickly realize that this is really happening.
My 2 year old daughter and 5 year old son come running in to see waht is going on and my daughter begins chanting "pup-pup pup-pup".My son says"You know what, thats my new dog.I've been thinking about getting a dog friend and here he is."
The dog now sits down and looks at us through the glass,and my wife and I are laughing about the whole thing.I decide to go out and run him off.I keep running at him and telling him to "git",and he just keeps coming back to the porch.Finally,I sit down and the dog sits next to me.
Now here's where it gets a little weird.I look into the dog's eyes and I'm not kidding;I feel as if I'm looking into the eyes of someone I know.No, I don't know who.Not a dead relative or anything like that.Just a really familiar feeling that makes my spine start to tingle.I start to get the "willies",because the whole incident feels very strange.I would never ,under any circumstances,let my guard down around a strange animal.But I felt extremely comfortable and so did my wife.We even brought the kids out after a couple of minutes and they began to pet the dog.
I put a leash on the dog and a couple of minutes later,a car rolls up and a guy gets out.He tells me that the dog escaped from their back yard and they have been looking for over an hour for her.
I tell the guy how much I like the dog and that I was a little sad to see him go.My son is crying in the backyard,and I am feeling pretty bummed out.The guy says that they have only had the dog 2 weeks and that they saved him from the animal shelter.She was going to be put to sleep ,so they had decided to adopt her.The wife already had a big Lab,and didn't particularly like the new dog,and the guy said that they were thinking about putting an ad in the paper to get her a new home because it was causing alot of problems between them.
I said to let me know if they decide to do it,because I wanted that dog.Just then the wife rolls up in her Blazer and gets out,she begins to thank us and the guy says"Honey-they want to keep the dog."
We talk about it for about 10 minutes,I show them my big backyard that I am in the process of fencing in,I show them all my other animals(yellow Lab,Iguana,Black-Tailed Prairie dog and Cockatiel).I put the 2 dogs together,and they started playing together.His wife told me that the dog has had all of her shots,but has not been spayed because she is only 7 months old.The lady drives home (they live about 5 blocks away) and brings back the dogs rabies tags,gives me her phone # in case we have any problems,or change our minds,and says goodbye to the dog.They had not even given the dog a name(they were just calling her 'girl'),so we decided on "Gabrielle" to go with our Lab "Xena"
So here I am typing this story.The dog is laying at my feet and it feels as if I've had this dog for years.
troy

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool story Troy.

Not at all uncommon to feel that way, and it usually happens for a reason, even if that reason never becomes apparent to us "two legs".

Glad you could take in someone that was apparently meant for you.

Greta

Flashaholic
I've always said that, contrary to popular belief, people do not pick their pets... their pets pick them... I know this to be true with my pets... (currently 8 dogs and 3 bunnies)... every pet I've ever owned, from the hairless rats to the tiny little desert groundsquirrel to the cat without a tail... they have all picked us to live with... and they say animals are dumb... I don't think so...
smile.gif

Troy, I'd love to hear about your Prairie Dog... is she really tame? ... Can you let her run around the house? ... I've heard they are wonderful pets!...
smile.gif

DonL

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sasha:
I've always said that, contrary to popular belief, people do not pick their pets... their pets pick them... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll agree with that. A woman that my wife worked with brought in a box with some kittens in it she needed to find homes for. One kept playing with my wife's shoelaces, and my wife picked it up to play with it. It alternated between the corner of her desk and her lap for the rest of the afternoon.

8 years later, he's still a PITA, but we'd never give him up.
wink.gif
smile.gif

Spork

Enlightened
lets see some pictures.
Here is a pic of my dogs.
Shelby and Kiwi

dogs.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Cool picture.How do you post a picture?

I spent alot of time in Montana during my teen years,and hunting Prairie dogs for local ranchers was a way to make a lttle cash.I had never considered them to be anything more than pests.
15 years later in Illinois,I came across a prairie dog pup in a local pet shop.I had alot of guilt about all the prairie dog hunting I had done(I grew up alot) and decided to buy him in an attempt to salvage a little of my damaged Karma.I'm really glad I did.He is almot 3 years old now,and I can say of all my pets,he is the one I have connected with the most.He is incredibly smart,he loves nothing more than to fall asleep in my lap while I am online at the computer.
Since getting him(biscuit)I have learned that they are very smart and social animals.They bond to you as family and will fight to protect thier loved ones.They haave one of the more complex "languages" of any animal.And they are fiercly loyal.My prairie dog hates other men,and will give a warning cry and "purr" by rubbing its teeth together in an attempt to drive off other men.He is unaffected by women and children.He can't get enough love from them.
grin.gif

During late fall and through the winter months they go into a semi-hibernation where they sleep alot and pretty much want to be left alone.Feed him and love on him for a few minutes a day during these months and that is all he seems to need.The native Americans refer to them as "ghosts" during this time.The term really does seem to fit.
He has never been neutered,even though the experts say it is a requirement in order to own one, because they can develop a nasty and violent disposition.I have never seen even a hint of violent or sexual behavior out of him.
He knows the drill now,understands his place in the household and seems very happy to be with us.
Prairie dog experts(I don't consider myself one) often say that when you adopt a Prairie dog pup,you have him for life.They become so bonded to the family that if you try to get rid of them, they will often die trying to get back to the original owner or go into a depression and waste away.So I guess have a prairie dog for life.
grin.gif

Yikes ,I'm usually not so wordy.I guess I could have posted this in the "what are you passionate about" thread.
troy

Greta

Flashaholic
Here are two of my dogs...
smile.gif

My Bullies... Lord Harry and Lady Greta...

Peeping%20Bullys.JPG

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackBart:
My dog Nagy... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Is there really a dog in there?
grin.gif

Seriously now - do you show these beautiful animals?

- Darell

B@rt

Flashaholic
Yeah, there is about 100 lbs of dog and 20 lbs of coat.
grin.gif

The are actually very effective (and powerful) flock-guardians from Hungary.
There are about 5000 Komondors worldwide, with biggest populations (~2000 pcs) in Hungary and the States.

I don't show her, due to the fact that she had a HD operation and this disqualifies automaticly.
frown.gif

Evan

Enlightened
I've heard Border Collies might be too smart to be pets. They've been known to herd children just to keep busy (not that the children notice why they all decided to be in one area). Might have to assign her chores so she doesn't get bored.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I guess I'll have to give her a pooper-scooper and assign her to Doggie Doo Patrol.
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Heck, if she can help the kids with those tough math problems, she'll be earning her keep.

Great story, BTW, Troy. Thanks for sharing.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Troy, fascinating stories! I had a black lab show up on my doorstep in a similar manner when I was 9..beautifully behaved animal, don't know why he was running down our street that rainy night, put ads in paper, couldn't find owners, kept him!
smile.gif
Really interesting about the prairie dog behavior in your family..I co-habitated with a domestic European ferret for 9 years, no relation to the North American Black-footed ferret though, mortal enemy of prairie dogs until they (the Blackfooted ferret) almost became extinct...what is the life expectancy of the prairie dog?

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
I co-habitated with a domestic European ferret ...what is the life expectancy of the prairie dog?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect the life expectancy of said prairie dog would be significantly reduced if it were "co-habitated" with very often.

grin.gif

Yeah, probably crossed the line again...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have heard that the life expectancy in captivity is around 8-12 years.I think the big problem is with overfeeding and obesity and lack of excercise.
I guess that could apply to me too!
blush.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
I suspect the life expectancy of said prairie dog would be significantly reduced if it were "co-habitated" with very often.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Darell,
Do you think Ted knows Snakebite???
rolleyes.gif
TX
rolleyes.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
Darell,
Do you think Ted knows Snakebite???
rolleyes.gif
TX
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. That's what was worrying me too...