Sealed Surefire Light - Must Open?

amlim

Enlightened
I have a e1e which is in a sealed condition - light in Surefire box which is wrapped in plastic.

The light is for collection purpose only. I am wondering if i need to open it to lube the o-rings in case they dry out. Or is it safe to just leave it in original sealed condition?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
I would worry about the battery leaking over time than the lube drying up.

B737Driver

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't be worried about the o-ring and threads as they won't be getting a "workout" in a sealed box. The battery on the other hand would be my only concern. If you plan on selling it in the future, I would keep it sealed.

Regards

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm pretty sure the battery is not inside the light, as packed in the box at the factory. If it leaks it will get some glop on the cardboard packaging but the light itself won't be affected.

VWTim

Enlightened
Ya, Surefire's usually good about packing the battery(ies) in a seperate thick plastic bag that's sealed. I'd leave it sealed if it were mine.

Scottiver

Enlightened
I've bought five Surefires and every one had batteries already installed from factory.
On another note, I bought a survivor knife back in 1984 that had a small lithium battery powered flashlight in the handle and it has been in there with it's original battery the whole time and it is fine. The light actually still lights up (not very bright) but it does still work. Lithiums are designed for long shelf life.

kumar762

Banned
and when surefire packs the batteries in the new lights they are left in the locked out postion,and yes lithiums have a really realy long shelf life.

nexro

Enlightened
I think the shelf life for the lithiums are about 10 years. No idea what will happen after that time passes. Also, all my new SF lights comes with the batteries installed too.

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
I think it may depend on the kind of packaging that the SF comes with.
So far the ones that came in "proper" cardboard type packaging, always had the batteries sealed in a little plastic bag.
Ive bought one in a blister type packaging though, and the batteries were already installed. Kind of makes sense, as there was far less room in the blister pack... .

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Akubra said:
I think it may depend on the kind of packaging that the SF comes with.
So far the ones that came in "proper" cardboard type packaging, always had the batteries sealed in a little plastic bag.
Ive bought one in a blister type packaging though, and the batteries were already installed. Kind of makes sense, as there was far less room in the blister pack... .

Every Surefire I have ever bought has had the batteries in it. Whether in the old style cardboard box, the newer style cardboard box, or the new style blister pack. Not that it matters for the purpose of this thread.

Open the box you know you want to.:grin2:

amlim

Enlightened
Mikeg23 said:
Every Surefire I have ever bought has had the batteries in it. Whether in the old style cardboard box, the newer style cardboard box, or the new style blister pack. Not that it matters for the purpose of this thread.

Open the box you know you want to.:grin2:

no.. no... noooooooooooooo......................................................... :grin2: