Without A Clue

Empath

Flashaholic
I posted this elsewhere at another time. It somehow seemed relevant (slightly) here.

Two cats, and a laser pointer, it was a paranormal event in the making.

The younger cat, Merlin wandered about the living room, just looking for something new. I grabbed the laser pointer and aimed it at the wall beyond his reach. Then slowly lowered the point of light to where he was sure he could pounce upon it. He darted for it, only to have it race past him onto the floor. Not to be outdone by a lowly little red bug dashing across the room, Merlin set off in pursuit, expertly determining it's path and pouncing upon the spot he knew the fleeing "bug" would be in that instant, only to have the "bug" alter its path at the last moment. The bug, darted under the entertainment center out of his reach, only to reappear a few inches away from where Merlin crouched peering at the point of retreat. Again and again, the bug outsmarted the cat, much to his delight and frustration.

The older cat, Rom, resting in the kitchen, preferring the vantage point of being able to tell if one of his humans opens the refrigerator or a cupboard, heard the commotion. Deciding he should investigate the reason for such wild activity from his friend, he arose, stretched, and casually wandered toward the living room, arriving just after the "bug" dashes again behind the entertainment center.

Merlin looks at Rom as if to communicate a recap of all that has occurred. Rom looks at Merlin, with a skeptical sneer as if to say "yeah, right". As if to give him the opportunity to prove his claims, Rom awaits the reappearance of Merlin's "bug" to demonstrate for him the exceptional abilities reported by his peer. "Hmmm...no bug, just as I thought", thinks Rom, "the little fellow is delusional". "There's no such creature". "There just ain't no such bug that can do all that". "Kook", he meows, and wanders back to the kitchen.

Merlin, not to be dissuaded by his cynical buddy, waits, and is rewarded by the reappearance of "superbug".

"Superbug", is of course a production of a higher intelligence, beyond the ability of a cat to comprehend. It appears at the "intelligence's" whim, and was reserved for the benefit of a chosen one.

"Come off it, Michael", said Lucifer. "That was no miracle. I know exactly how you did it."

"Lucifer, begone", said Michael. "The one for whom it was intended didn't have a clue, nor are they concerned with how."

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm- My cats all react differently than that. A couple of the really "uncivilized" ones just run away if the dot gets within about 2 feet of them.

Most of the rest are just: "Ho Hum. Is it time for dinner yet, or should I continue with my nap?".

I only remember one of the kittens that "played" with the dot at all, and he got bored with that after just a few minutes and decided to chase his brother instead.

Size15's

Flashaholic
My cat goes crazy. She'll chase it all over. When she was younger (and slimmer) she would follow the dot up curtains!

You gotta love the way they prepare to pounce - bum in the air, twitching, judging every distance and movement.

Sometimes we used to tape a laser on and then hang it from a string and leave it to move about - the dot would go round and round and so would Mitzi!

Now she has a little play if the dot gets close enough and then zonks out.

rolleyes.gif

Al