easy questions from a new modder

highorder

Enlightened
hey folks.

I am jumping into the mod/build game, and need your help and experience. I convinced myself to give it a shot whlie doing machining work for you fine people. here are some easy questions I need answered. if there is a good read that covers this stuff, please direct me. thanks!

define potted/unpotted

given their parabolic (are they all parabolic?) nature, can reflectors be turned without CNC?

who does typeIII ano work, and what is the approx cost.

when do you use an optic vs. a reflector?

with the current advances being made, it seems products are being obsoleted faster and faster. what are the pros and cons of getting into the Aleph family?

who makes multi function lights with levels, dimming, strobe, etc. in a small package aside from HDS, and when will folks that are not invited to SHOT going to see them?

thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm sure the responses will generate more questions, but I have been bitten by the bug, and need help.

-highorder:help:

greenLED

Flashaholic
define potted/unpotted:
Covering a circuit with epoxy or encapsulating resin makes it "potted". We do that to prevent shortcircuits and/or provide structural support to the circuit (to prevent crushing or shearing).

given their parabolic (are they all parabolic?) nature, can reflectors be turned without CNC?
Yup, some people do this "free hand", with a Dremel and a curved abrassive tip.

who does typeIII ano work, and what is the approx cost.
Contact your local metal plating shop - cost is high for small and/or custom runs.

when do you use an optic vs. a reflector?
They're pretty much interchangeable (unless you have specific uses in mind, such as the collimating ability of SF's TIR optic in the K/L1, for example. I see the choice as personal preference (I like the beam of a well focused NX-05 or NX-01) but I have to acknowledge reflectors give a nicer beam as well.

with the current advances being made, it seems products are being obsoleted faster and faster. what are the pros and cons of getting into the Aleph family?
Aleph line is discontinued; pro- it's SF e-series compatible. The newest, baddest LED is the Cree XR-E

who makes multi function lights with levels, dimming, strobe, etc. in a small package aside from HDS, and when will folks that are not invited to SHOT going to see them?
Contact goldserve; he's been offering programmable FluPIC boards for a while now.

highorder

Enlightened
thanks for the answers!

what king of precision and quality can you expect from grinding a reflector freehand? isnt the shape very important?

(edit: fenix question answered)

Last edited:

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
highorder said:
pic request for a potted vs. unpotted led, as ready to assemble, or assembled. thanks!

Check out Icarus's mods. If I remember he pots everything.

Oh and if you have any questions regarding anodizing send me a PM.

MM

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
highorder said:

What you need to do is creating a turning tool with the desired shape. As it is much easier to shape something "positive" than "negative", the inner shape will be nicer with an appropriate turning tool.

The picture does not show a reflector, but it shows the concept of turning something to a specific shape by grinding the turning tool to this very shape.

ausdrehen.gif

highorder

Enlightened
thanks!

I am quite experienced with the concept and manufacture of form tools. where can I find specs for parabolic reflectors?