Magcharger running a WA1331 lamp

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Somewhere I read the Magcharger is the same length as a Mag 3D, so I wonered if I couldn't replace the MC's 5 1/2D cell Nicad pack with a 9AAto3D holder. Or better (lighter) yet, 3 series 18650 Li-Ion cells. Sure enough, not counting the charging jack which sits inside the tailcap spring, the 9AAto3D is a perfect fit. For 3 18650 cells, deanodizing the tailcap and using a 3C
spring fits as well:

magcharger1.jpg

(Yeah, I know the small bubble wrap spacer around the Li-Ion pack isn't very sophisticated. But it's lightweight, adjustable, pretty much shockproof and even free if you hit the right trash dumpsters).

I also opened the MC's charging base to see what circuit is employed. It uses the LM317T regulator:

magcharger2.jpg

magcharger3.jpg

I'm pretty sure I could modify it for the Nimh pack if I wanted to. Converting it for Li-Ion use is beyond my capability. In addition to the critical charging voltage required for Li-Ion, one would also have to accurately compensate for the protection diode built into the MC's body.

I installed a WA1331 lamp. It's about 200 bulb lumens brighter than the WA1160, which is the popular drop-in upgrade often used. I placed two layers of 3.5 mil Kapton Tape over the MC's bi-pin socket:

magcharger4.jpg

Kapton is pretty tough stuff - a heated soldering iron tip does nothing to it. I've run the WA1331 for 15 minutes continous, and so far the socket is fine. Also, 10.8 volts is pretty much the safe maximum for the WA1331. On both the 9AAto3D and 3x18650 packs, I bled about 300mah capacity from them before running the the MC to help avoid flashing. So far, so good, and the WA1331 has quite a white beam.

The MC Nicad battery weighs 15.20 oz., vs. the 5.00 oz. of the Li-Ion pack, a nice reduction in weight.

(Yeah, that's right. I have a nice digital scale now. Expect to see weight comparisions in all of my posts) :)

ELM