Just Brought A Mini Maglite 3AA LED - Few Questions

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Today, I brought a Mini Maglite 3AA LED from Fry's Electronic for $24.99. I was just wondering, can I get a tailcap clickie switch for it? What about the Mini Maglite 2AA LED model?

Do you guys think this Mini Maglite LED is a great light? Or is it a waste of money for $24.99? If the LED bulb somehow blows out, where can I get a replacement bulb for it?

I'd appreciate and comments, suggestions, and/or opinions. Thanks!

-lightUup

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good buy....tailcap clickie at Flashlightking ..they are a maglite distributor...$5.00 under speciality items I think. 1 877 338 6600 good luck !

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
I was told tailcap clickies don't work on Mini Maglite LEDs...

Is it true??

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that is true. The third-party tail caps are made for the original MiniMags that have a shorter tailcap spring and a shorter thread that is not anodized. Tailcap switches like the Kroll can use the spring from the MiniMag LEDs to replace the one on the Kroll switch and make contact with the negative pole on the batteries, but the spring contact on the side of the swtich intended to complete the circuit on the barrel of the MiniMag does not complete because of the anodizing on the inside of the barrel. You can overcome this obstacle by removing the anodizing from the threads, cutting away a portion of the barrel, or by introducing some sort of extension to create conductivity to the barrel of the light (e.g. aluminum or copper foil) that makes contact with the spring on the side of the Kroll switch to the bare aluminum inside of the Mini Mag LED barrel.

So as a straight drop-in replacement right out of the package, none of the currently manufactured third party switches will work with the MiniMag LED, unless you do some modification to them.

lightUup said:
I was told tailcap clickies don't work on Mini Maglite LEDs...

Is it true??

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably best to check with Mag for their warranty policy on this. The LED assembly is integral to the light and does not appear to be intended for consumer replacement. My inclination, especially given the low cost of this light is to treat it as a disposable if the LED should go out. That being said, in general usage, you should probably not expect the LED to go out unless there was something wrong with the light to begin with (i.e. a warranty situation) or if the light is abused (e.g. an attempt at modification.)

lightUup said:
If the LED bulb somehow blows out, where can I get a replacement bulb for it?

-lightUup

Monocrom

Flashaholic
lightUup said:
Hi,

Do you guys think this Mini Maglite LED is a great light? Or is it a waste of money for $24.99? If the LED bulb somehow blows out, where can I get a replacement bulb for it?

-lightUup

Not a waste of money. I have one, it works well. (Although I do prefer the 2AA model over the 3AA). Don't worry about the LED. It won't blow. It'll just very slowly fade in intensity as you use it, over the years.

todnar

Newly Enlightened
I installed the Terra-Lux clickie from my 2AA incan onto my 2AA MagLED yesterday. I used a speed nut, (one of those hammer on caps with a brim you would use to hold a wheel onto an axle of a childs wagon or whatever). Their in the nuts and bolts section at the hardware store.

The spring fits in the dimple to center it and to add some extra length. Wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the brim to keep it from making contact with the inside of the light and there ya go.
Didn't have to clean off any threads or anything to make the circuit complete.
It was cheap, 29 pennies.:)
You could just stretch the spring out also I suppose, but I didn't want to pull it out by accident.

Cheers,
Tod

Last edited:

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, all!

Does anyone know why Maglite hasn't made a clickie switch yet? Streamlight's Jr. Luxeon already has a rubber coated tailcap clickie. The Mini Maglite has been around for a while and they haven't come out with a clickie switch yet...

The Mini Maglite LED is my second favorite EDC. It's small, slim, and super easy to conceal, especially when you're using the Mini Maglite's holster.

My number one favorite EDC is the UK 4AA eLED Zoom. This thing is friggen bright!! It's a 2 watt LED with two output settings and uses common batteries.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has been much discussion on this subject. IMO, the 'twistie' switch of the mini mag is more reliable.

The other issue is, it won't accidently turn on.

And, click will make the mini mag even longer.

I carried the SL Junior Lux. in my pocket ofr a long time. I carried it switch down, lense up. I though the lense would get scratched with keys or something. But with switch down, it does occasionally turn on. I had it happen to me twice in 2 years, but it can happen, and then it can ruin your day.

If I see a clickie with enough resistance, I will think about it, but in all likelyhood, just leave it alone.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
lightUup said:
Does anyone know why Maglite hasn't made a clickie switch yet? Streamlight's Jr. Luxeon already has a rubber coated tailcap clickie. The Mini Maglite has been around for a while and they haven't come out with a clickie switch yet...

I think you just answered your own question. Although many CPFers would prefer a tailcap switch, we make up a very small percentage of the general buying public. Maglite came out with the twist mechanism for the Mini-Mags, and they sell well.... without a huge demand from most consumers for a clickie.

Maglite has no reason to spend the extra money to develop a clickie tailcap switch. So we're stuck with Aftermarket alternatives, only.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are probably a number of reasons, not the least of which is maintaining their current customer base.

Having two switches on a flashlight can be confusing even for members here, let alone the mainstream consumer that makes up the overwhelming majority of Mag's customer base.

People who have used MiniMag flashlights who may upgrade to a MiniMag LED light have the expectation of the switch being incorporated into the head. I've handed experienced MiniMag/Mag users my MiniMag LED with a Kroll switch on numerous occasions and the majority of the time the first thing they do is twist the head to try and turn it on.

And as has already been mentioned, the twist switch is inherently more reliable than the 'clicky' push button switch.

lightUup said:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
of course all the AA-Models are a total waste of money.

the Fenix L2S beats them in everything for the same price (MUCH shorter, better switch action, better beam, 2 stage output, ...)
the Fenix L2T, while more expensive, offers more lumen, the better finish (+ 2 stage output)

IF Mag-Leds where shorter, they could be considered much better lights, but thus
--> Fenix L2S

myk

Enlightened
yellow said:
of course all the AA-Models are a total waste of money.

the Fenix L2S beats them in everything for the same price (MUCH shorter, better switch action, better beam, 2 stage output, ...)
the Fenix L2T, while more expensive, offers more lumen, the better finish (+ 2 stage output)

IF Mag-Leds where shorter, they could be considered much better lights, but thus
--> Fenix L2S

i wouldn't call them a waste of money. If i want a flashlight, tonight, I can buy the mag, tonight, at 3am, at super walmart. I can have the fenix in just a tad under a week if I choose fast shipping from a reliable supplier? other than that - the mag will continue to be the light people buy - since they can get it today.

Also, can you adjust the focus of an l2s/l2t from spot to a pretty decent flood? the magLED did a pretty good job of making a usable flood

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
I just gave the 3AA to my old man since he's an engineer and gets free alkaline batteries at work. He's also very clumsy and always drops his flashlight. He used to have a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Xenon and he broke the whole thing by accidentally dropping it at ladder height. The whole body cracked in half and he threw it away.

If he does break this Mini Maglite, I'd nominate him for the world's best flashlight breaker. :lolsign:

I'm planning to go buy the 2AA version because it's shorter and uses an even number of batteries.

And the great thing about these Mini Maglites is that it comes with a holster!

Whenever I head to stores, I always see plenty of 3-watt Maglite LED upgrades for the C & D series flashlights.

Why don't I ever see replacement LED bulbs for the 2AA & 3AA LED models?? What if something goes wrong? Am I going to have to throw the whole flashlight away and purchase a brand new one??

Thanks.

-lightUup

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Flying Turtle said:
Just noticed the price has risen at Home Depot for the 3 AA to $23.95, unless I read it wrong.

Geoff

Nope! Not wrong. :( :shakehead

cancow

Newly Enlightened
I lost my 3 AA. Do they still make these? One of my favorite lights ever.

gsr

Enlightened
The 3 AA is no longer in the catalog. I just saw a silver one on ebay, but the price and shipping costs are quite high, IMHO. If you really want another one, put a WTB ad on the CPF Market Place.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That said, you can still find them around - you just have to look a little harder.