Cheap LED Light

Bearcat

Enlightened
I just back from my bi-annul camping and fishing trip that I go on with some of my relatives and friends in NE Alabama. I gave all of them a $.99 clone keychain light from Lighthound, they thought they died and went to heaven, because they liked them so much. I would like to do better on my next trip, but I would like to keep it around $5.00. Keep in mind most of them use cheap old incandescent flashlights and I would like to introduce them to LEDs. What do you suggest?

Bearcat

Enlightened
Thanks, I see what you mean by get one with a reflector. I hate spotty lights. I wonder if Walmart still carries the ones with reflectors. I will keep that one in mind. I forgot to say that the size of the flashlight does not matter.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I believe some of the black Dorcy AAA lights don't have the optic. I have a red one I bought a couple months ago and hate mine. Giving it away at Christmas, I think.

Try this 3 AAA, 21 LED light for about $7 (in quantity):

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/21-led-ice-cream-ii-p-231.html

I have over a dozen "cluster" lights and this is probably the most impressive one I've seen. :)

I believe they are currently out of all colors save black.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
You just have to be careful ... all the DAE lights are NOT created equal.

In addition to the 21 LED "Ice Cream Cone II" lights I love, I bought a few 19 LED "Dancer" lights which were poor and will be headed back this coming week.

Bearcat

Enlightened
Bror Jace said:
You just have to be careful ... all the DAE lights are NOT created equal.

In addition to the 21 LED "Ice Cream Cone II" lights I love, I bought a few 19 LED "Dancer" lights which were poor and will be headed back this coming week.

Thanks, the "Ice Cream Cone II" looks like a good light for the money, but it seems the runtime is a little short. They also have the "12 LED Ghost II" that is a little cheaper and has a super long runtime and it runs off of 1xAA. Have you or anyone else had any experience with these?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've gotten the 5LED Xnova and 28LED shower head from Dae, and both are ok. Check out Flashlightreviews.com for samples of these. FifthUnit has the 28LED for $5.50. Note that build quality is still fairly poor - although better than some of the other cheap lights Dae and FU offer. Runtime on the Xnova5 is about 6 hours on 1AA, so not bad - the 28LED drains 3xAAA pretty fast.

Something else you might want to consider is the Nuwai TM313X (also reviewed on FR.com). J2LED sells them 2 for $20, see: http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/specials.html . I find this is an excellent light - despite the 0.5W Nichia, it throws fairly decently (at expense of sidespill). Runtime is an impressive 8+ hours on 1AA.

I think most non-flasholics would be impressed with the TM313X.

Newuser01

Enlightened
Bearcat said:
Thanks, the "Ice Cream Cone II" looks like a good light for the money, but it seems the runtime is a little short. They also have the "12 LED Ghost II" that is a little cheaper and has a super long runtime and it runs off of 1xAA. Have you or anyone else had any experience with these?

folks are happy with ghost type lights. Bright, cheap battery ETC. If you search on this forum with "ghost" or "xnova" you will find lots of mention about this kind of light. But do remember that you get what you pay for and they may not be as reliable as $20 lights from better brands/shops such as Fenix, streamlights and such..

Enjoy.
Noob.:grin2:
PS. You can pick up the same types on fleabay for about 3 bucks each if you buy like 20 pieces with shipping. search with "AA LED".
EDIT: Check this out!! Link!
and this !

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Bearcat said:
..... I would like to introduce them to LEDs. What do you suggest?

$6 at Target. And, it's something that non-flashaholics are likely to carry.

Energizer LED Pen light. Runs on 2AAAs.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
As stuff seems to crop up for short runs (sales) from time to time, you might want to just keep an eye out for one of those offers to come up like the Lowes 3AA Lux for $2.50 that just ran a little while ago, or those Garrity 9LED lights that Costco had in 4 packs for $12.99. You'd get some real value for your money and you're more likely to get a light that would really knock their socks off (you don't have to tell them what you paid for them :) ) And there should be a few inventory clearance sales that will appear after the beginning of the year.

Bearcat

Enlightened
Thanks for all the help. I am hooked on LED lights and have bought a bunch of different types. My favorite light is still my Lightwave 2000, because it is relatively small, LONG runtime and gives me all the light that I need. Still, I find myself using my Photon Freedom Max the most, because it is on my keychain and very handy. I just shake my head when I see my relatives and friends shaking their old Eveready type incandescent lights with their weak yellow beams to get them to work. I would like to buy all of them more expensive lights, but I need at least a dozen or so and I do not want to spend that much money. Heck, anything that I get them they will be tickled to death with, compared to what they have. I am just looking to get them the most light for the money I can afford. :)

Newuser01

Enlightened
Bearcat said:
Thanks for all the help. I am hooked on LED lights and have bought a bunch of different types. My favorite light is still my Lightwave 2000, because it is relatively small, LONG runtime and gives me all the light that I need. Still, I find myself using my Photon Freedom Max the most, because it is on my keychain and very handy. I just shake my head when I see my relatives and friends shaking their old Eveready type incandescent lights with their weak yellow beams to get them to work. I would like to buy all of them more expensive lights, but I need at least a dozen or so and I do not want to spend that much money. Heck, anything that I get them they will be tickled to death with, compared to what they have. I am just looking to get them the most light for the money I can afford. :)

Get the one's from costco and see how you like it. They still had them when I was there last week.

noob.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Even at $8.97 the plastic 3AA Luxeon light is a pretty decent gadget.

The Garrity 2AA GT LED is a spot type LED light that gets a pretty fair amount of use at our shop. It is something like 6 bucks at Walmart.

The River Rock 2AAA .5W LED light for $10 at Target is a darn nice little light!

And if you can find reflector Dorcy 1AAA lights, GRAB 'EM!!!

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some extra 1w. Luxeon lights which were on sale at Lowe's last week for 2.50. I don't think there's a better value anywhere. PM me if you like some.

frank777

Enlightened
Great suggestions here, but I would avoid Chinese made flashlights on eBay. I have purchased thousands for a resale business, and have had nothing but quality problems.