Next Project: LED upgrade for Brinkman Maxfire Rechargable

S

stdlrf11

Okay guys, I have a Brinkman Maxfire rechargable. With fresh batteries, I'm getting about 20 minutes of eye searing brigh light. I don't know the lumen output, but it has one hell of a bright spot with good throw. There isn't much flood.

I want a longer runtime, so I'm thinking about an LED upgrade. What bulbs can I use to maximize the runtime of a "2/3 Ni-Cd x 4 650mAh 4.8V" rechargable battery? I'd like a drop-in replacement, if possible, and I'd like to keep a good amount of light output.

Also, the whole light cost $25, so I don't want to spend more than it is worth on the new bulb.

You guys haven't let me down yet with good ideas, so let them roll.

Thanks a lot,
stdlrf11

bones_708

Enlightened
I like this light (can't beat the price) so this is something I'd like to hear

Darkheart

Newly Enlightened
www.cheaperbatterypacks.com You can get custom made battery packs with 1400MaH batteries made for $15 per. I got a few and they work great. I just wish I could get a smart charger for them and the original battery packs.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll probably be better served by just getting another light that houses a Luxeon. There are quite a few in that general price point that you're looking at, including the MiniMag 3AA LED, the SL PP4AA/3C Luxes, and the Brinkmann 3W Lux.

stdlrf11 said:
Also, the whole light cost $25, so I don't want to spend more than it is worth on the new bulb.

Thanks a lot,
stdlrf11

zapper

Enlightened
Darkheart said:
www.cheaperbatterypacks.com You can get custom made battery packs with 1400MaH batteries made for $15 per. I got a few and they work great. I just wish I could get a smart charger for them and the original battery packs.

I did the same thing. I also removed the bulb and housing and replaced with a Surefire P60 and a P61 for short use. Nicer beam and brighter overall. The drop in LED units cost as much (for the 1 watt) and more than the light itself. Get a StreamLight ProPoly 4AA Lux and if you use it a lot then some rechargeables as well. Runs forever, throws forever and tough as nails. About the same price as this light.

S

stdlrf11

Just our of curiousity, Zapper, what IS the drop in replacement LED bulb?

For now, new flashlights are out of the question. The wife is still pissed about the new CRKT Desert Cruiser that snuck into the collection. Besides, I have about a dozen anyway, I'd just as soon tinker with those than buy anything new.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of curiosity, have you considered the Brinkmann 3AA Lux or Lux III? It works pretty much the same as the Maxfire except that it is a bit larger around the barrel, and it uses common 3AAA batteries.

stdlrf11 said:
Just our of curiousity, Zapper, what IS the drop in replacement LED bulb?

For now, new flashlights are out of the question. The wife is still pissed about the new CRKT Desert Cruiser that snuck into the collection. Besides, I have about a dozen anyway, I'd just as soon tinker with those than buy anything new.

S

stdlrf11

I've thought about it, but as you quoted me saying, "the wife is still pissed... I'd just as soon tinker with those (that I already have) than buy anything new." :whistle:

stdlrf11