IRC chat

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
As some may have noticed Here MrChri5 was asking about getting a chatroom for CPF. Well, I went ahead and set one up on DalNet (an IRC server). The room is #candlepowerforums for those that already know what IRC is. Graham stopped by yesterday, but I was not at the computer at the time. MrChri5 and I have been there quite a bit and talking for a while.

For those that have never used IRC (internet relay chat), here is how to get started. You can download one of the IRC clients such as mIRC or some of the others, or you can go to www.dal.net and use the java application to join. On mIRC when you open it, check the little popup box (the little square that has no words around it, bottom left corner, that will get rid of that from coming up again), then the server thing will pop up. Connect to random Dalnet server. After you get connected, type /join #candlepowerforums in the status window and you will join the room. If you have chosen a nick that was registered by somebody else, it will say in the status window to identify, so you will have to change your nickname. If you find one that you like, you can type "/nickserv help register" to find out how to register it. It is fairly easy, and there are a LOT of rooms on IRC.

Spudgunr

Hope to see y'all there

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I had a quick peek and was trying to remember how to register a nick..as it turns out Graham is taken anyway..

mikep

Enlightened
I've been checking in during the day also.

I use software from www.trillian.cc it's a messenger that allows you to connect to IRC, as well as Yahoo,MSN, and AOL Messengers. It's great if you are like me and have friends/relatives on different 'networks'. So while its running in the background it's a peice of cake to connect to IRC.