How to make a CREE Throw

*Retired*
Figured it would be good to show what can be done with a CREE and an aspherical lens, and the throw possibilites.

Please ignore the stop sign, it is blasting the light back. The house is beige, so it doesn't light up very well though (maybe I should pay them to paint it white?):

aspcree.jpg

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
Figured it would be good to show what can be done with a CREE and an aspherical lens, and the throw possibilites.

Please ignore the stop sign, it is blasting the light back. The house is beige, so it doesn't light up very well though (maybe I should pay them to paint it white?):

aspcree.jpg

actually the house is what I was noticing. The beam really opens more (say compared to a MagLED) and looks to even illuminate the grass well enough to see it in this pic.

5mm lights still have a purpose as a low-level, but Luxeons to me now are nothing more than a stepping stone to ^that, and if somebody doesn't get these in mass production soon, I'm gonna freak. :rant:

It doesn't even look like it's affected by all the ambient streetlight.

*Retired*
Lit Up said:
actually the house is what I was noticing. The beam really opens more (say compared to a MagLED) and looks to even illuminate the grass well enough to see it in this pic.

5mm lights still have a purpose as a low-level, but Luxeons to me now are nothing more than a stepping stone to ^that, and if somebody doesn't get these in mass production soon, I'm gonna freak. :rant:

It doesn't even look like it's affected by all the ambient streetlight.

You wouldn't even see a 4D LED Maglite in this photo, it would be all washed out by the ambient light.

I just checked, and the MagLED 4D opens up way more than this, and I do not notice it even casting light on the house.

FYI, there are two streetlights down at that end of the block, so the area has plenty of light already.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
You wouldn't even see a 4D LED Maglite in this photo, it would be all washed out by the ambient light.

too true.

I just checked, and the MagLED 4D opens up way more than this, and I do not notice it even casting light on the house.

I mean given a useable distance of a MagLED. At their distances the spot doesn't seem to open as much and it sure doesn't illuminate its given area like that Cree does. Which are bonus points I LOVE about this Cree!

FYI, there are two streetlights down at that end of the block, so the area has plenty of light already.

I'm painfully curious to see how this performs under foggy conditions. Anything I own already hasn't done much past 20 feet or so. (navigational distances) Do you know if any colored Crees are being discussed for this new platform?

Loomy

Enlightened
Hey newbie it seems like you posted the wrong image, you accidentally posted a picture of a laser instead of a flashlight

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
would be interrested in a picture of lens and Led

the 2nd pic, the one highliting the blue (?) pickup, seems like a bit focused.
Have You tried these snap on beam widening things?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello NewBie:)

Great work:twothumbs It looks very promising. I would be also interested, to see a picture of the lens and the "business end" of the light source.

Do you use a LE for the Cree? How large is the lens, does the: "2.5585" means the diameter in inches?

Thank you very much, also for sharing this fantastic impressions.

Best regards

____
Tom

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thread Newbie put up recently shows his lens in one of the pics. It looks big and heavy but what the heck. I'd build a light with one just to have that laser like throw beam.

Macaw

Enlightened
WOW! Now that's a chunk of glass! Nice clean square wave too...