RMSK, Inc.        

Thread: my new dragonlasers 125mW greenie

Party my new dragonlasers 125mW greenie

Got my new 125mW laser pointer from dragonlasers last Friday night. Wanted to wait longer in case either wickedlasers or dragonlasers dropped prices more but just couldn't resist.

The box was pretty ordinary, card board shell with a foam inside. Good for protection and storage but not a display case.

Can't say if it lights matches or burst balloons (could not find any) but the beam looks awesome. I've got some photos below of the beam, mirrors and a beam diffuser (glass of water).

The laser pointer is fantastic, so cool in the dark and puts holes in plastic. God bless dragonlasers and their low (even after increases) prices.

Can't say the same for the mirrors i used. The reflectivity is so poor, you can see light from the beam through the back of them. The reflected beam in one of the photos is so much weaker than the original beam.

In summary, excellent laser, s$$t mirrors.

Hope to post burning photos next week.
    Last edited by The_LED_Museum; 11-05-2006 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Edited post so images appear.

Default Re: my new dragonlasers 125mW greenie

damn, the photos are not showing, just links. how to i include photos so people can actually see photos instead of links?

Really want to know!!!

Lightbulb Re: my new dragonlasers 125mW greenie

First off... it's a module, not a pointer... Nice one though. To show images, but the[img]image link[/img] tags around the image link.

Last edited by allthatwhichis; 11-05-2006 at 07:37 AM.

thanks allthatwhichis a big help

You sure your not mistaken about it being a module though? This is the link http://www.dragonlasers.com/inc/sdetail/168 It is portable, uses two AAA batteries, it meets all the characteristics of a laser pointer.

I was under the impression that module is just legal name often given my sellers to laser pointers.

Although you should never use it to point at anything, if it looks like a pointer, smells like a pointer.. it is, in as far as 'pointer' is a form factor decription. I suppose for clarity it could be called a 'laser pointer weapon.' That takes the kid's fun and toys feeling out of it about as effectively as calling it a 'laser module', eh?

is this 125mw stable? too bad they jacked up the price on this unit, i would've picked one up, but i wanted to wait for the reviews from other purchasers!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_lava
    ...I suppose for clarity it could be called a 'laser pointer weapon.' That takes the kid's fun and toys feeling out of it about as effectively as calling it a 'laser module', eh?
    For legal reasons in the United States, it (and for that matter, any portable laser product that has a power output of greater than 5mW) should be referred to by one of these two names:

Laser module
    Laser device

Quote Originally Posted by The_LED_Museum
    For legal reasons in the United States, it (and for that matter, any portable laser product that has a power output of greater than 5mW) should be referred to by one of these two names:

Laser module
    Laser device

Large sellers prefer to call them that because it's legal to sell >5mW lasers as modules when they are intended for OEM manufacturers, but the truth is that they aren't intended for integration into an end product, they arethe end product, making them more akin to a pointer. If the law says no pointers can be sold by manus >5mW, does calling them a 'laser device' make it legal? Sorry, judging by a few past border seizures, the FDA doesn't think so.

It is legal to own such a device, however, so what you call it doesn't matter.

I know this is OT, just wanted to clear this up, this will be my last opinion post in this thread on the subject.

On my website, I call any laser device that emits >5mW a "module" - primarily to help cover my toliet muscle. Lasers that emit >5mW of laser radiation are not intended to be used as pointing devices, even if they look & smell like laser pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by senecaripple
    is this 125mw stable? too bad they jacked up the price on this unit, i would've picked one up, but i wanted to wait for the reviews from other purchasers!
    I waited till i saw a few good reviews on lasercommunity.com before i ordered mine. You can also see reviews on a new laser forum http://deeptide.com/ I thik this forum was set up because laser community was too pro wickedlasers. Not surprising considering its owned by wickedlasers.

Anyway, about stability. I don't have a meter so i can't give you exact numbers. The brightness or burning ability does not diminish until the batteries lose power so i'm confident its stable.

It has a much better burning ability than my other laser pointers and the mean is so much clearer at night. You can see from the photos that much of the beam comes out of the back of the mirror. Could be just bad mirrors, hoping its over powered.

my question had no reflection on your pix, btw looks really nice. just from somebody commenting on it's stability or the lack of, but that poster never even bought one, guessing or asuming was more like it.
    wish they did not increase the prices!

How much did the prices increase?

Quote Originally Posted by YAG
    How much did the prices increase?
    $30 increase on the 95mW unit since last week. Somebody has gotten greedy at Dragon.

Thurmond
    Resistance is Futile. You Will be Modded!!
    Infinity (CMG that is) and Beyond!!

Supply and demand...

Quote Originally Posted by senecaripple
    my question had no reflection on your pix, btw looks really nice. just from somebody commenting on it's stability or the lack of, but that poster never even bought one, guessing or asuming was more like it.
    wish they did not increase the prices!
    I know what you mean. But no matter whether your buying from wickedlasers or the much cheaper dragonlasers, they are expensive so i waited until there were posts from people who actually bought dragonlasers. At the time that i decided to buy, there where roughly 6 people who had posted they were happy with their laser pointers from dragonlasers.

Have not seen any negative posts at either lasercommunity or deeptide.com/forums. My dragon laser is still working well used after been constantly in my spare time. Have to get rechargable batteries cos the cost of replacing batteries is killing me

you are lucky you got that 125mw when the price was a bit lower hehe

still its a pretty good deal i think at the current price!
    LaserPointerForums.com
    Laser discussion and product reviews.

guess they undercut themselves, now that they got the free publicity, they need to increase their prices to atleast "break even". as they are now on the laser map!
    if the prices go down, i may consider, but, after this increase!

I've had some complaints forwarded to me about Dragon not offering any after sales repair etc. Seems to be a number of defective units being released as well and although refunds have been issued instead of unit replacement, the complaint that a number of buyers has made is that they were still out of pocket for shipping since Dragon Lasers are not including this nor would they replace the units when defective.

Again, this information was forwarded to me by other buyers wanting to know what I knew about Dragon. I have not purchased one of their units not assessed any so I can't make any calls on quality yet until I get more feedback from other buyers.

Might be worth waiting for more diverse feedback from regulars here who have been around a while long enough that we know they're not shills from any particular seller. I've been fairly loyal to any laser supplier who's products met my approval but I notice this last few months that there's a lot pf people plugging particular products in this forum who are employed with the laser companies they're plugging.

My suggestion is to see what some of the old-timers have to say about some of the new sellers and products on the market right now.

PS: Luvlasers - I HOPE you were using safety glasses when setting up your mirrors and water containers with the laser. That's a scary combination of specular and reflective surfaces!

Hi nero design, for sure i used glasses. with that many mirrors lined up, it is too easy to end up with a beam in the eyes. I've got a pair of old heavy duty industrial glasses that work well but are a fashion disaster. I'd never be game to use them outside.

Wickedlaser's glasses look great but i'm short on cash and after a cheaper alternative. Know of any?

Cheaper, only perhaps the Barr and Stroud goggles on eBay. The Wicked goggles are great for the price and have an OD of 5 or 6 if I recall correctly. The Barr and Stroud goggles also have a high OD of at least 5 to 532nm, but also have the advantage of being highly resistant to UV and IR as well. The rubber design is not quite on par with the Wickeds ( I have both these goggles), but I find them to be very useful. The BS goggles also have a strap that wraps around your head, as such there is no chance of them coming off should you be looking down upon your work area.

I would avoid any goggles that are laser enhancers, though you might be tempted as they are usually $20 or so. Make sure they are protective goggles.
    cheers,
    Sean.

"The BS goggles" =D.

As for stability, although I've seen a stable unit of this type over 150mW, generally the stability is very poor, and I would not expect you to be getting a true 125mW output out of it. The WL ones aren't perfect in this respect either, but seem to have improved a lot over the CNIs. Then again, they have the disadvantage of poor initial diameter, and higher price, so it all depends on what you're looking for.

As nero mentioned though, I've been hearing some bad stuff about DL lately, so I guess you get what you pay for.

aaarrrggghhhhhh my digital camera is not working. all set to take some more awesome photos of burning matches and the $%&* camera packs up.

Now i have a laser that works and a camera that doesn't. Will try to borrow one from a friend at school and take some.

So the 125 will light matches? Do you think it would light a cigar? I'm shopping for a 200mw and can only spend $5-750 but maybe a 125 would work for me.

I can't imagine that the laser stays stable for very long, do to the fact it hasnt got an efficient heat dicipation setup. 2 AAA on top of it, the unit can't maintain full output for very long. has anybody tested it with a meter to see if it truely puts out what it says and isnt bombarding with IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Madz
    I can't imagine that the laser stays stable for very long, do to the fact it hasnt got an efficient heat dicipation setup. 2 AAA on top of it, the unit can't maintain full output for very long. has anybody tested it with a meter to see if it truely puts out what it says and isnt bombarding with IR.
    The 125mw unit I got seems fine. Preliminary tests on this item show very low IR output, and good stability over 30 seconds. I don't think the batteries would last too long, for that kind of output must require some serious current draw. Either that, or they've developed improved MCA's with improved conversion efficiency. In any event, if and when I do some more detailed tests I'll post the results here.

--Ted.

Hey Ted, can you share the love and post some photos of your 125mW???

Ok, here's some pics...
    Comparison picture - black one is the dragon laser, silver one is leadlight

Close up of end with cap removed (threaded end) - I like this part
    since you could clean the IR output filter if required. I keep mine in a
    box since I don't want pocket lint getting in there.

Getting ready to give a hunk of plastic a blast from the laser

Laser shining on black plastic - it melts pits in this stuff pretty easily.

Laser in action!

Afterglow on a europium disk after a hit from the laser - you can get these puppies on ebay, and they're a lot of fun.

Spot viewed through goggles - there's always some kind of orangish weak spot generated by these lasers (this is NOT IR, its actually orange)

Laser shining on disk through goggles.

It would be nice if there was a lens cover (to keep crud out of the optics) and if it used AA instead of AAA batteries. Other than that, it seems to work pretty well.

The shot of your dragonlaser burning plastic is awesome!!!!!!

Interesting to compare the dragonlaser shell to the lead light.

A lens cover would be nice. Who sells laser pointers with those?

Quote Originally Posted by luvlasers
    The shot of your dragonlaser burning plastic is awesome!!!!!!

Interesting to compare the dragonlaser shell to the lead light.

A lens cover would be nice. Who sells laser pointers with those?
    The PGLIIIa has an integral lens hole cover - so does the RPL series from optotronics.

For non-portables, some aerotech heads have covers, usually the melles griot heads have covers. The blue non-portable laser has a slider to protect the output optics (that's the 50mw item in other threads), and the 100mw non-portable greenie from aixiz has an integral cover. I'm sure there are others, but that's what I know from personal experience.