Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fun with an Altoids tin

Default Re: Fun with an Altoids tin

Thought I’d post my little kit as I’m getting ready to repack it. Probably a big mistake, chances of me getting all that back in is slim😁. I plan on making one for just light. I can fit 6 AA” easily in one as well as ONE OF DATILED Fantastic 1.5 volt battery drainer. That’s well over a month of light.

Last edited by thermal guy; 03-03-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

They make great portable headphone amps that'll drive tsa up the wall lol. Shown with 9v removed.

Default Fun with an Altoids tin

I have an i love lucy tin, sponge bob, heart shaped altoids tin, republic of tea tins, mini tins, and almost all of them i turned into survival tins. The kids lost interest in their tins so I upgraded those and kept them. I do acquire my wife’s hair pins occasionally since handcuff keys break sometimes. They’re great in a pinch. I backed up a tactical officer that broke his key off in a pair of cuffs. I pulled the hair pin out of my shirt and showed him the mechanics of using it. It even works with the broken part in there. Next thing I know it’s part of my curriculum as a training officer. It beats calling the fire department to cut it of with a mini sawImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1583323764.702613.jpg

You just have to pick the tips off. They were also shown how not to miss it during a search
    Last edited by aginthelaw; 03-04-2020 at 06:12 AM.
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

So they really are that easy to pick? No wonder you guys have to do a good search before you put them in back😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

So far you’ve listed Altoids tins being used for first aid kits, survival kits, and portable headphone amps. Here are a couple of other uses: melt a candle into one and put the wick in the middle (hey, this here is the Candlepowerforums, right?), a mini fishing tackle box, a way to make and carry char cloth. Other ideas?

And there are several companies selling nylon or kydex pouches to hold that Altoids tin.
    Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual; 11-06-2020 at 05:47 AM.

Altoids Tin Survival

Cutting edge (Utility knife Blade)

Water purification

Fire - Flashlight - Compass

Cordage... (Wire and Dental floss)

Missing a whistle, and mylar/space
    blanket

Fire:

Cut down Magnesium bar with flint bar
    and hacksaw blade striker

Small Bic lighter

Three sealed plastic straws of
    vaselined cotton balls mixed with Mg dust.

Water:
    coffee filter (to be used as a prefilter) (SHTF dust mask)
    folded aluminum 16-24oz. container (made from aluminum (approximately 7"x9") cut from throw-away aluminum roasting pan)
    folded 2 qt mylar bag marked at 16 and 24 oz.
    2 spring clips to hold bag over fire
    22 ga wire wrapped around lighter
    12 iodine tablets in 3 sealed straws

instructions for pasteurize temp and iodine use

candle to melt at 145F and 160F as a pasturization thermometer

gumball size plumber's putty to repair alum container (I unfolded one that I made and found that the corner developed a hole in it)

Additional items

Utility knife blade taped to cover

12 lumin 4 button cell Browning bore-scope flashlight 8 hours runtime

compass

six feet minted dental floss.
    six feet 22 guage wire wrapped around lighter
    <HR> __________________________________________________ _____________________</hr>

The standard magnesium bar with mesh metal flint glued to the side takes up WAY too much room. I cut off about 80% of it and put some of the shavings into a straw with the vaseline coated cotton balls. I left some of the Magnesium to give the mesh metal support, it would be a bad situation if it snapped on me. That though would give you a lot more room in your's.

Last edited by Poppy; 02-23-2021 at 06:02 PM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

My altoids kit:

xxo,
    I like your kit!

Is that a home made knife, two blade saw? Very cool.

I put some of my stuff into straws. I held the ends together with needle nose plyers, and melted them together over a flame. Iodine degrades with air/moisture, and corrodes everything in the tin,

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    xxo,
    I like your kit!

Is that a home made knife, two blade saw? Very cool.

I put some of my stuff into straws. I held the ends together with needle nose plyers, and melted them together over a flame. Iodine degrades with air/moisture, and corrodes everything in the tin,

It's a derma safe razor knife that I drilled a hole for jig saw blades, one for wood and one for metal.

I used to use the fat slurpee straws for sealing stuff in, usually mineral oil/cotton balls for fire starting. The slurpee straws are much better for this than thinner straws.

BTW, There is also a P38 can opener that goes in the kit.

I love the deep woods towels. Whenever I see an episode of "naked and afraid" and see them all bitten up, I think... screw the knife! Give me insect repellant!

I never considered a P38. What are the chances I'll be out in the wild, and come across a can of beans?
    Two things that are severely lacking in my kit is a whistle, and a mylar emergency blanket.
    Actually if I am out on a hike, where I'll be carrying the altoids kit, it'll be in a fanny pack with additional gear, and a bottle of water, or a one liter stainless bottle. FAK and mylar blanket will be included, along with a pump bottle of deet.
    hmmm,. I can't find a dump out picture of it.

My EDC includes a cooyoo keychain flashlight and gerber EAB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12