Two quick Surefire L2 questions:

Jasmes

Enlightened
- Is the beam the same as the L4's?

- How is the high/low level selected? Is it possible to "lock" it into low level so that no matter how you press the tailcap, it only comes on low?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Beam pattern wise, yes. Same LED and same reflector. Brightness may vary, due to different driving current and Luxeon lottery.

- The setting is selected by twisting the tailcap. From the lock-out position, turning right (like tightening screw) goes to momentary low ALONE, no high. Turning further, momentary low, high. Then constant low, momentary high. Then constant high. It works like a charm. One of the best multiple stage switches out there.

Jasmes

Enlightened
elgarak said:
- Beam pattern wise, yes. Same LED and same reflector. Brightness may vary, due to different driving current and Luxeon lottery.

- The setting is selected by twisting the tailcap. From the lock-out position, turning right (like tightening screw) goes to momentary low ALONE, no high. Turning further, momentary low, high. Then constant low, momentary high. Then constant high. It works like a charm. One of the best multiple stage switches out there.

That sounds awesome, exactly how I hoped it would work. Do you own one?

Snow

Enlightened
FWIW, my dad just got one of these and it's an excellent light. The low/high settings are good amounts of light for their different uses and the switch setup is great. It's very intuitive.

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
I bought one recently and have carried/used it a great deal. I grab it without much thought because I know that if I grab another I might have too much or too little light depending on the one I choose. Some complain about the low setting being too low but I think it's just right. The way the switch works is great. The "high beam" reaches not quite as far as my Pelican 2390 and with a narrower beam but is deceivingly bright for its advertised "22 Lumens." Small consolations for the fact that it has so much else going for it. It's got to be the best all-'round light I own (Fenix L2T with a CR123A tube is close though) and has found a permanent place in my pocket. My one regret is not having bought several. I shopped hard for the features I wanted and bought this lighth based on that alone. I very ignorantly purchased it for $81 (which included shipping) from Optics Planet and when I decided it was a fantastic lighth I went back to get one for each of two friends they were $135!! Then I started looking around and realized I got one heck of a bargain. That said, I would have missed out on experiencing this great light had it not been so cheap. If I lost it, now knowing what it is worth in non-monetary terms, and had to pay $135 to replace it, I would do it.

kumar762

Banned
I owned one at one point and it was an awesome all around light.The size and shape is a big plus it's nice and slim and fits in the pocket almost like a large pen or sharpie.

22hornet

Enlightened
I have an L2. It was my first quality led flashlight and it might well be my favorite.
Btw, I thought the L2 was slightly more powerful than the L4, a fact which should also be indicated by the shorter runtime. Something like 100 lumen for the L2 and 80 for the L4.

The low setting is very useful - 15 lumen, same as a SF E1E - and provides you with enough light in most cases with quite a long runtime. But the high setting is addictive because it is so impressive and beautiful.

I use rechargable cells: Wama 600mah 3.0volt. These cells fit easily in my SF E1L and Fenix P1, but are too fat for the L2. In order to get them in, I have to remove the outer foil off the cells. This can be done, since there is still a second, transparent, foil around the body of the cell.

One of it's nice points is the regulation. When the cells run out of juice, it simply clicks out, as if switched off. No stressful dimming, just "click" and finished. Nice light. Love it a lot.

The only minus of the L2 is the lenght. While it is comfortable to hold (the E1L is rather too short in this regard) when in use, it is a long light to carry in your pocket.

Kind regards,
Joris

whippoorwill

Enlightened
Jeff H said:
I bought one recently and have carried/used it a great deal. I grab it without much thought because I know that if I grab another I might have too much or too little light depending on the one I choose. Some complain about the low setting being too low but I think it's just right. The way the switch works is great. The "high beam" reaches not quite as far as my Pelican 2390 and with a narrower beam but is deceivingly bright for its advertised "22 Lumens." Small consolations for the fact that it has so much else going for it. It's got to be the best all-'round light I own (Fenix L2T with a CR123A tube is close though) and has found a permanent place in my pocket. My one regret is not having bought several. I shopped hard for the features I wanted and bought this lighth based on that alone. I very ignorantly purchased it for $81 (which included shipping) from Optics Planet and when I decided it was a fantastic lighth I went back to get one for each of two friends they were $135!! Then I started looking around and realized I got one heck of a bargain. That said, I would have missed out on experiencing this great light had it not been so cheap. If I lost it, now knowing what it is worth in non-monetary terms, and had to pay $135 to replace it, I would do it.

You got an L2 for 81 bucks??!!! Did it burn your fingers?

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Jeff H said:
81 bucks? 22 lumens? Can't be an L2! Should be at least 170 bucks and 100 lumens.
BTW, it really is 100 lumens of (slightly creamy-coloured) light. It illuminates a room, not just a corner.

EV_007

Enlightened
I'd say it gets warm, but not hot. Definitely not so hot that you can't hold it unlike some of my incans do.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Huh?
Mine gets really hot after some minutes on high mode. Just like the L4. Small lights with a lot of LED power tend to be hot lights. I can still hold it at the body without pain though, but make sure I don't touch the head.
BUT ... I rarely need the high mode for more than a few moments anyway as the low is so useful.
The only problem I have with the light is that it slightly hums on low ... a little tiny screetching noise. Other than that ... a fantastic light, so useful, so KISS. Should have gotten it earlier.

bernie

P.S.: EV_007 ... you got pretty insulated hands, do you? :D :wave:

EV_007

Enlightened
Gloves my friend. LOL jk

I had my P91 running for 10 min one hand and my L2 in the other. I guess it wasn't a fair test. :touche:

carrot

Flashaholic
The L2 is a great light. I carry the A2 more because I'm an incan guy, but the L2 is definitely a keeper. It's hard to beat the huge flood that the L2 puts out.

M I K

Enlightened
The fiscally dysfunctional State of Kommiefornia
I had an L2. It was a project keeping the tailcap adjusted to where it had momentary low and high beam. I carried it in a belt pouch. The tailcap would often turn enough to light up the low beam and drain the batts. It doesn't take much low beam battery drain to where the high beam won't even come on. Often times I would grab the light in a moment of need only to discover that the L2 had turned itself into a paperweight. The low beam always seemed too bright at 22 lumens. That's probably why the batts would drain pretty fast. The low beam seemed to be more of a medium beam to me. And it's length always seemed so loooong. It was a battery eating hastle.

I eventually sold it and invested in a U2. Wow, definitely the best upgrade I ever made. The U2 is the ultimate multi-level light and I love the momentary/click switch.

Good luck, JMHO

jiwq

Newly Enlightened
I have an L2 and L4, but I prefer the L4. The L2 is just a tad bit too long to carry around and I usually use the high power mode anyway.

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
Frank Maddix said:
81 bucks? 22 lumens? Can't be an L2! Should be at least 170 bucks and 100 lumens.
BTW, it really is 100 lumens of (slightly creamy-coloured) light. It illuminates a room, not just a corner.

My sinserest apologies for dragging this off course.
Mine is an L1 (with a "one").
I was reading an L1 thread, was summoned elsewhere, came back to comment but opened the wrong thread when I logged back on.

Sorry.

Jasmes

Enlightened
jiwq said:
I have an L2 and L4, but I prefer the L4. The L2 is just a tad bit too long to carry around and I usually use the high power mode anyway.

How much longer is the L2?

carrot

Flashaholic
I for one, do not think that the L2 is too long for pocket carry. My L2 is only about a centimeter longer than the Minimag 2AA incan.