Adjustable brightness lights?

M

Mikko

I'd like to get an adjustable brightness LED torch with really low output and long runtime on minimum. It should run on lithiums, because we have very cold winters here in Finland and I have heard that they work best in temperatures below freezing.
My usage would be normal wintertime EDC situations and backcountry ski trips in the North during the winter (when the sun does not come up at all). I usually use petzl headlamp when camping, but I'd like to have backup light that could be used for hours in the tent during the nights.
High output should be at least the same that my L2T has on high.

So what are my options?
I have found the HDS EDC XR models and the Night Ops Gladius so far...
Either would be OK I think, but these are hard to find with good price and international shipping.

Any suggestions on lights or vendors? Or should I wait few months until Lighthound has new EDC models on stock?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to give a vote to the HDS lights as they do everything that you indicated as important.

I have been extremely happy with mine. They have the ability to provide you with extremely long runtimes at lower levels in addition to respectable runtimes at higher levels. They are a best in breed pick to me.

-Goatee

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
i think i would take the gladius for your particular situation.lighthound ships overseas for $8.00 i believe
Mikko said:
I'd like to get a adjustable brightness LED torch with really low output and long runtime on minimum. It should run on lithiums, because we have very cold winters here in Finland and I have heard that they work best in temperatures below freezing.
My usage would be normal wintertime EDC situations and backcountry ski trips in the North during the winter (when the sun does not come up at all). I usually use petzl headlamp when camping, but I'd like to have backup light that could be used for hours in the tent during the nights.
High output should be at least the same that my L2T has on high.

So what are my options?
I have found the HDS EDC XR models and the Night Ops Gladius so far...
Either would be OK I think, but these are hard to find with good price and international shipping.

Any suggestions on lights or vendors? Or should I wait few months until Lighthound has new EDC models on stock?

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone ever used a HDS in very cold weather for an extended time? Not sure if there would be issues with cold weather such as engaging the switch.

If you decide to go that way but would like someone to do some test with the HDS in a freezer first just let me know.

SCblur

Enlightened
another vote for HDS. Pretty much perfect for the uses you stated. I'm also partial to my Surefire U2, but that's a whole magnitude more expensive and a much larger light all together. The HDS is quite pocketable and sports a much lower 'low' level than a U2. Watch the BST board here, as there are frequently HDS models for sale that you can proably get shipped overseas.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waion's VB-16 ($55 shipped) has 32 levels from a very low low (I calculate good for about 3000 hours of run time) to 4 W at high (about 1500 cd central brightness). Has easy to change levels (separate higher/lower buttons) and can run off protected 18650's, 2xCR123s, 2xRCR123's, has HAIII, AR coated tempered glass lens, and on and on. Mine works great.

M

Mikko

Thanks for your suggestions. HDS lights seem to be very popular here. I'll try to find one for reasonable price, don't want to be too dissappointed when the new models are introduced later...

I have bought few lights from lighthound and it works great, fast and cheap shipping. But gladius is 199$ there, seems a bit expensive when it is available from some not so good store at 129$.

I'll start the morning now with coffee and search on the wb-16.

Personally I'm not too conserned about the switch freezing etc, you can melt things under your clothes and in your sleeping bag at night. LOP SE seems nice too, but is going to be too small to use with gloves on.

Thanks guys

Mikko

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
Waion's VB-16 ($55 shipped) has 32 levels from a very low low (I calculate good for about 3000 hours of run time) to 4 W at high (about 1500 cd central brightness). Has easy to change levels (separate higher/lower buttons) and can run off protected 18650's, 2xCR123s, 2xRCR123's, has HAIII, AR coated tempered glass lens, and on and on. Mine works great.

I would be a bit careful with this in cold weather since the rubber on one of the small buttons on mine got stiff and broke after a bit of use in the cold.

I use my HDS a lot in very cold conditions and it has worked flawlessly.
I'd take this over any other light in it's size category.
I use Li-ions in mine and have normal cr123s as spares.

There really isn't a need for the XR version for your use.

I would invest in one of the new clips that Lighthound sells for it since the stock clip leaves a bit to be desired...

Sverre

PS! The PT Apex is great for night skiing and can use NiMH, lithium and alkaline AAs. The 4 5mm leds are great for setting camp, cooking and so on.

M

Mikko

If the EDC works fine in Norway during the winter it will work here too...

So now I need to get one, they seem to be sold out at batterystation, they had few last week.
Any ideas where to get one, doesn't really matter which model..?
I put a WTB post on the forum here, but I'll take a new one if they can be found somewhere.

PM me if you have extra one... :)

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mikko said:
If the EDC works fine in Norway during the winter it will work here too...

So now I need to get one, they seem to be sold out at batterystation, they had few last week.
Any ideas where to get one, doesn't really matter which model..?
I put a WTB post on the forum here, but I'll take a new one if they can be found somewhere.

PM me if you have extra one... :)

I would, but I only have one and it is modded as well....

Somebody is selling 4 HDS lights in the BST section. I think there are some left. You should check it out ASAP. Good prices as well;)

Sverre