E2e vs A2

ugrey

Enlightened
I EDC an E2e. Should I replace it with an A2. Is the A2's "soft start" OK for tactical use. (Yes, I hate the word tactical because of it's over use) Is the hotspot large enough? Thanks to many of the A2 posts on here, I think I finally "get" the A2. It may well be SF's most misunderstood light. Why do they only list it at only 50 lumens? Several of you have proven it to be 80, and that level does not fade. Thanks for any answers. Curses to you all for making me buy another light. Will it ever end? We will at least recognize each other in the old age home. I will have some sort of SureFire. What are you bringing?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned, soft start is very fast, and is ALMOST unnoticeable. The hotspot of the A2 is oval but about as large as the E2e. The A2 throws farther, though. But the E2e is slightly brighter on brand new 123's. I like the feel and action of the light much better than the E2e, though. I EDCed the E2e for about 6 months, IIRC, before getting the A2, which I have probably EDC'ed for almost 2 years now, still going strong, still loving it. If you don't know about it already, you can check out my SF A2 thread for further discussion of this light, and lots of links to other discussions.

ugrey

Enlightened
JS, I read all your A2 posts and that is what sold me on the A2. SF should hire you. Your explainations wre very well written and extremly informative. Many, many thanks.

oregonshooter

Enlightened
I never knew it had a soft start until a few weeks ago and I've been using it as my EDC and tactical (room clearing) light for over a year. I am looking for something brighter in as small a package but no luck yet.

Funny how an old light like the A2 is still the front runner in versitality and power for tactical use. Thought by now something better would have come along, but haven't seen it yet.

supes

Enlightened
I too am thinking about the switch from EDCing a E2e to a A2, I like the E2e when you pop in fresh 123a's but after some use it gets dim and changing batteries out is needed. I tired a L4 in place of the E2e but it's not the same, just can't beat the incan. yet. I REALLY like the idea of regulation of an incandesant. I'm pretty much sold on getting the A2. Nothing bad can happen to buying one of these amazing creations. Now I'm just waiting for funds to bulid up for one.

Damn, I wish the L4 had the awesome flood it has now PLUS throw -ability like a E2e or A2........:popcorn:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
ugrey said:
JS, I read all your A2 posts and that is what sold me on the A2. SF should hire you. Your explainations wre very well written and extremly informative. Many, many thanks.

You're welcome! Thanks so much for the kind words! I honestly never imagined that thread would be as well received as it has been. Makes me think I should finish part 2 of it. As soon as I finish the TigerLight thread I'm working on. LOL! Too much to do. Too much.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an E2e for a long time, gave it to a friend and got an A2. Also have a U2 and HDS U60.

The A2 incandescent beam is roughly similar to the E2e, but a little oval. The E2e is an amazingly compact light, so be advised the A2 is somewhat longer, but still quiet compact. To me the A2 has better balance/feel than the U2.

I strongly recommend the A2, with the caveat that it won't win any white wall contest of beam pattern beauty. However it does "get the job done" in a very practical way.

I was surprised how useful the A2's LED "low beam" is. It's quite bright, and very broad. It's perfect for close range tasks, even in the daytime. The spillbeam edge has an uneven "biohazard" pattern, but you normally don't see that, the spillbeam angle is so broad. The LED hotspot is also very broad, smooth and even, and somewhat blueish on mine. It's sort of like an Arc AAA-P, but 3x as powerful.

Assuming my HDS U60 is truly 60 lumens (they're individually calibrated during mfg), comparative lux meter wall/ceiling reflection tests indicate my A2 is about 75 lumens. Measured similarly, my U2 is about 2x the U60, in theory 120 lumens.

From a throw standpoint my U2 still out-throws my A2, which is different from flashlightreviews.com's test results, but maybe my U2 is exceptionally powerful. At 25 ft (7.62 meters) the beam center lux of my U2 was 35 lux, whereas the A2 was 26 lux, and the U60 was 18 lux. The A2 incandescent beam color does aid target recognition in some cases, but my U2 still wins through sheer output.

The dual-method A2 high/low switching is very nice. In some ways it's easier than my U2, which requires turning the selector ring to change brightness.

Judging the A2 by numbers alone is misleading. It's not particularly outstanding in throw, run time, beam symmetry, etc. However it combines various features in a remarkably useful package. But it can take some usage before you finally grasp that, so I understand how people buy the A2, then quickly become disappointed and sell it.

My main problem with the E2e was it's just too bright for many tasks. The A2 solves that plus adds regulated incandescent output which doesn't dim.

Unlike the U2, the A2 has two totally different beam patterns -- the LED beam pattern is very broad and suitable for short range tasks. The incandescent pattern is more narrow, which throws better. By contrast the U2 can adjust brightness, but not beam angle. The two different beam angles makes the A2 very flexible.