What flashlight am I looking/dreaming for?

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Well, last week I posted about how my fiance wanted to get me a good flashlight for my birthday, and I'm hip to that myself. :) I'm a newb here, and I've been reading up. Let me tell you, from an outsiders standpoint, you guys can speak a whole 'nother language! LOL

Anywho, I thought I wanted a McLuxIII-T till I saw what one goes for in the B/S/T forum. Ouch. Too much $$ for an EDC for me.

So, with a week of on and off reading, here is what I'm looking for in a light:

LED for sure.
At least an hour runtime (give or take)
I like the styling of the McLux-T and/or SF E2D
I like Titanium, aluminum, or chrome. I like a little flash to my flash. :)
I realize how Tritium could be useful, but is not a deal-breaker if not available
I prefer a palm sized light with a thinner profile. IE 4" to 4.5" AA diameter.
Clicky preferred over twisty as I'm often working one handed
I don't mind the initial cost of rechargables, I'll buy what I need and it will get used!
Modable, swapable (I think you guys call it LEGO) is fun, but since this could possibly be my ONLY light (Scary thought, huh?) It's not a deal breaker either way.

This is for EDC, but I like a wow factor, and I love the lightsaber look.
The McLuxIII-T would have been perfect (although a bit short), and if a PD was available in aluminum or chrome, I'd be all over it tonight.

So what light am I dreaming of??

T-Psyco.jpg

X Racer

Enlightened
If you can only have one, and will carry it every day, go for the McLuxIII-PD. Even in black, it has its own type of flash. Its super heavy duty and close to perfect for an EDC...

Meeshi_ma

Newly Enlightened
I think that its posted somewhere in all of those threads about the PD that you could get it in raw aluminum. The slate HA will hold up a lot better though. I've got mine right here on the table...

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
I'm not really concerned with the raw aluminum looking dog-eared after some carry time with me, I'm just really needing a solid light that will put up with regular abuse, and look really good while doing it.

If I'm reading that order page correctly, it's saying that only the 27LT is available right now, that the PD is out of stock.

Also, is there a way to get/mod a PD to be slightly longer? Maybe with a 17500 rechargable in a longer body? The specs show 3.227 in length, and I want something just about the size of my palm, or slightly larger.

I missed a PD in the B/S/T forums today, I would have absolutely snapped it up had I seen it.

marxs

Enlightened
if your willing to wait....the mCree's soon to come out are a little longer according to Don, around 4" IIRC. their also the clicky type, with adjustable hi/low being done by the twisting head.

+1 for the mcLuxIII PD as well if you can still find on on b/s/t.

oh and btw, the McLux-T is a twisty only.

xdanx

Enlightened
Nope, the PD's are availible.

As far as I know there isn't any way to get a longer PD but you can run rechargeable 123's in it.

EDIT: If you are looking for a slightly longer light I would reccomend the Aleph 19 XR-E. It is a SUPER bright light and great quality. They are availible Here but are out of stock. There should be some more soon.

Last edited:

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
xdanx, the Aleph is my runner up. If they had raw or polished aluminum I'd have my order in already.

marxs, yeah, I realize now that the McLuxIII-T is twisty only after reading through pages upon pages of posts.

I'm willing to wait for the mcree, and 4" would be PERFECT for me, but if it's another Ti model, I'm afraid of what the price might be. I was planning on topping out around $250. Maybe a little more if the right light came alone.

I just don't have the time to haunt the forums to see when Don has the mcree out, so chances are I'm totally going to miss out on it.

It's a real PITA trying to find a birthday present for me. :)

paulr

Flashaholic
PD in chrome is one of the most beautiful lights. I regret missing out on them when I had some cash. One of these days...

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Lonely Raven said:
I'm willing to wait for the mcree, and 4" would be PERFECT for me, but if it's another Ti model, I'm afraid of what the price might be. I was planning on topping out around $250. Maybe a little more if the right light came alone.
I'm willing to bet you my current PD (ok, not really) that the mCree-c (c for clicky) will be over $300, as it will be titanium. Don has really taken to making most of his lights out of titanium (he must like shiny things), so aluminum might be on hold for a while.

In the meantime, it is not possible to extend the length of the current McLuxIII-PD - you'd need an entire new body, and new piston/sleeve... it might be something Don has prototyped, but nothing he's ever sold (that I know of ;) ). As for the 1x123 Alephs, keep in mind that they are generally seen as being slightly longer than the PD, and not quite as waterproof, as they have a few more points of possible entry :shrug:... does this make me cautious about EDC'ing any of mine? Nope!!

It's a real PITA trying to find a birthday present for me. :)
I know exactly what you're talking about there... but, the upside about being picky is that you usually have some pretty cool stuff! :thumbsup:

Hope it helps... or at least contributes to the dilemna!

Welcome to CPF! :wave:

john

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Alin I'm sending you a message, if the price is right....

JCH, if the McCree-C is *around* $300, I'd spring for it as it would suit me 100% perfectly. Again, I'm just afraid they will be released and I'll totally miss out.

Thanks for the Welcome by the way! :)

Last thing I need is another hobby.....really trying not to get the mod bug.... :)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can always wait a little longer...

there will be more flashlights, maybe with the new cree LED the XR-E!!!

yes... only time will tell...

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Ahh, I misread the order page, you are right and the PD is in stock.

I thought it read that only what the Red Stars were by was in stock.
Sort of like how the Shoppe has three black stars signifying that the Aleph with the Cree was *out* of stock. *** :)

That's what happens when I sift through forums for too many hours a day...all the threads and information turns my brain to mush.

On the lighter side, I'm wondering what goes into building a light.
I'm quite skilled with a soldering iron having built and repaired a few vacuum tube guitar amps over the past few years. Assuming I could digest all the details in these lights, how they work, what parts are compatable with what...the assembly would be easy for me, it's just figuring out what works and getting the parts!

I'm still looking into that Chrome-PD mentioned above. I've not heard from Alin yet, but I'm keeping my hopes on it!

Scottiver

Enlightened
I'm sure that a titanium McCree will be at least $400. That is about what the Ti PDs were selling for. I don't remember the exact price.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think while we wait the months for all the Cree XR-E lights to come out, a Milky ML1 fits what you are looking for except for the clicky, which you probably won't miss. It goes for around $175, based on the Surefire L1 (shorter, old style, but longer than the McLux) with a beam and two levels said to be about equal to the McLux PD. The tactical momentary with twist can be easily operated with one hand due to the length and tailcap design. Good custom built light with your choice of tint and hand picked emitters.

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Well the Chrome-PD fell through. It's twice what my budget is, so it's way out of my fiance's price range for my birthday present.

I guess I'm still looking.

marxs

Enlightened
IIRC i think you can get a bare Al PD? :shrug: not sure but I remember reading a line like that in the PD order thread.