Ruby (the cat) updated photo

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
Reading some of the posts here lately reminded me to update Ruby's story. Some of you may remember my fishing story that I posted when I found this little starving cat. You can read my mildly entertaining original post here for all the details. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112478

Six months have past and she is looking a lot better these days. She is still just a little bit of a thing, but her hair has come back and she looks much bigger than she really is (about 5 pounds). She has adjusted to being indoors and now runs the house. Putting the dog and the two other cats in their place when she deems it necessary.

Before:

img02701tv.jpg

And After: (six months later)
picture067640x480gg7.jpg

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
lolsign.gif

I know, I know. Bedraggled and little on the uh, homely side. Not a cat I would have chosen. If she were a person you'd definitly steer clear. But she does have a great personality, loves lovin' and is a spoiled family member now. What are you gonna do?

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tooner, groom the cat a few minutes every day.. the long-hairs can't do it all themselves; they need your help. Mine's a short hair, but he loves a minute of the flea comb several times a day.. it really helps with furballs too..

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could only laugh after reading through your first thread (lol, I skipped it before because I thought it
was about a lost flashlight on your fishing trip or something), and seeing the 2nd pic here.
Glad she is recovering, you did good Tooner :)

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
We do groom her. It just doesn't look like it. She gets a combing every day. She will not let us get to her belly very often. She doesn't like the brush much, but is ok with the comb. Although her hair has grown back, it isn't what you would call nice. It seems a little on the dry frizzy side. Probably from her previous lack of nutrition. We also have to scrub her face every day with baby wipes as her face is flat and she can't eat her food without wearing it.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tooner, oops. I thought that might be the case..I guess I was just hoping ;) ..sorry if I mispoke :goodjob: :thumbsup:

(..maybe some mousse and a blow dry? ;) )

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Tooner said:
We do groom her. It just doesn't look like it. She gets a combing every day. She will not let us get to her belly very often. She doesn't like the brush much, but is ok with the comb. Although her hair has grown back, it isn't what you would call nice. It seems a little on the dry frizzy side. Probably from her previous lack of nutrition. We also have to scrub her face every day with baby wipes as her face is flat and she can't eat her food without wearing it.

Tooner, you're an angel for rescuing her and bringing her back to health. As for her dry frizzy fur, have you tried a lecithin supplement?

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Maybe she'd look better if you trimmed the longer hair back a little so that it was more uniform?

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
All
Thank you for the kind words.

PhotonWrangler
Thank you for the suggestion. No, we haven't been giving any supplements. Just feeding high quality food. I have never heard of lecithin before so I googled it, but didn't find any independent veterinary info on it. I will ask the doctor next time we see him if he recommends it, or something else. I do think her coat is improving on it's own, albeit slowly. Do you/have you used it for your pet?

Lightmeup
Are you volunteering to come over give a cat a haircut? Bring your own gloves and band-aids.
grinser2.gif

TedTheLed
It's cool. I do appreciate the suggestion, and I know she is kind of a scruffy looking thing.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vet recommends giving cats a teaspoon of olive oil every day to prevent hairballs. It also helps with their coat. If the cat licks it up by itself, that's great, but don't try to pour it into her mouth as it might get in her lungs.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Tooner said:
All

PhotonWrangler
Thank you for the suggestion. No, we haven't been giving any supplements. Just feeding high quality food. I have never heard of lecithin before so I googled it, but didn't find any independent veterinary info on it. I will ask the doctor next time we see him if he recommends it, or something else. I do think her coat is improving on it's own, albeit slowly. Do you/have you used it for your pet?

Lecithin contains some essential fatty acids and is supposed to be good for an animal's coat, among other things. I don't have a pet currently, but if I did and it had problems with it's coat, I'd be using this.

Good luck!