DROPPED K2 KROMA!!!!!!

kumar762

Banned
Alright so I decided to ride up to local store on the skateboard last night,and of cousre the kroma goes everywhere,and well when I passed by a friends house and my name was yelled at the same time I was pocketing my kroma,I was somewhat startled and dropped the light about four feet while moving.The light bounced along the asphalt and gave off flickers of red.I immediately hopped off the board and went to pick up the flashlight,the friend who yelled my name saw this happen and yelled to the rest of the bunch to call an ambulance for my light.Being a surefire it fired right up just like the day I got it but it now has some pretty ugly scratches
sick2.gif
.I don't know what to do cuz I can't be happy with this for long.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough, military Surefire lights were meant to be used in tough environments and receive some battle scars. If it were meant to be babied, then you would leave it as a shelf queen. Remember, it is ultimately a tool first :D

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
meep...it hurts to drop a flashlight...especially one that cost SO damn much.

that is why... i put a lanyard on them...

with the lanyard, the light will survive IF you have the lanyard on your hands, not hanging around the stick.

so far, i dropped all my lights :p sad , i know... my hands were slippery! what could i do :(

T4R06

Enlightened
thats what you call KARMA! (joke only)

sorry to hear your story man...
send to surefire and they will fixed

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night my dog took off after a cat and I didn't realize it untill the leash came taught. The jerk actually make me loose my grip on my M420 as seen here:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134470&highlight=m420

... the light bobbled from one hand to another and back a few times, before my hockey goally reflexes was able to get the light back under control.

I would still be crying if the light skipped along the pavement.

Sorry to hear about your Kroma.

MSax

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be a good time to try the duracoat paint in an awesome color

That sucks! Hope you get over it soon, if not I have $100 waiting to take that dinged ugly and unworthy light out of your hands LOL!

AlexGT

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeez MSax,

That thing is a MONSTER. You can probably light the moon up with that bad boy!!!

LOL

kumar762

Banned
I'll probaly call surefire and bug them about it to see if there's anything they can do.I doubt it,but maybe something. . . . .sigh . .and to think last time I placed an order on lighthound,I was gonna get an opaque cover to take care of situations just like this.
maybe on the next order.

Tremendo

Enlightened
kumar762 said:
I'll probaly call surefire and bug them about it to see if there's anything they can do.I doubt it,but maybe something. . . . .sigh . .and to think last time I placed an order on lighthound,I was gonna get an opaque cover to take care of situations just like this.
maybe on the next order.
I dis-agree. If the light stopped working, ok call Surefire and talk. If you dropped it hard and it scratched, that's not their fault. Yeah, they're a big company, but they've been good with things they SHOULD fix. Don't try to make them fix cosmetic issues from user error.

I've got some scratches on lights from drops, but I would never even ask for a new one because of that. If it didn't work, that'd be something to discuss, especially if it should have taken the beating.

Just my opinion.

kumar762

Banned
yeah I totally agree also now lets say I had a scratches on my window that messed up my beam quality then I'd act on it,but I was hoping that maybe I could buy a new bezel ring maybe?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle said:
Tough, military Surefire lights were meant to be used in tough environments and receive some battle scars. If it were meant to be babied, then you would leave it as a shelf queen. Remember, it is ultimately a tool first :D
That's great you are in the battlefield with your tax payer sponsored gear. Not so great when you are a civilian and crash a 300 bucks light onto concrete.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Tools are going to gain 'character' as you use them. My EDC flashlights end up with all sorts of gouges, chips, dents, scratches and misc Character marks.

Hard Anodised growth is one of the hardest materials going but the aluminium alloy substrate is relatively soft and will dent etc causing the HA growth to give way.

If you were not willing to accept that your EDC would show evidence of the life you subject it to (skateboarding isn't the most accident-free activity for a start) then perhaps you should have taken measures to protect your EDC such as a lanyard or bubble-wrap or whatever.

From your description the flashlight isn't broken so I doubt SureFire would replace it and I would not expect them to.

I think you'll get used to the character of your K2 and appreciate it has an EDC tool. You'll not be so concerned about mothering it either since its not longer a virgin to the activites of everyday life.

Al

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Size15's said:
If you were not willing to accept that your EDC would show evidence of the life you subject it to (skateboarding isn't the most accident-free activity for a start) then perhaps you should have taken measures to protect your EDC such as a lanyard or bubble-wrap or whatever.

Now I have an image of Howard Hughes riding a skateboard etched in my head! :lolsign:

Rando

Enlightened
Size15's said:
I think you'll get used to the character of your K2 and appreciate it has an EDC tool. You'll not be so concerned about mothering it either since its not longer a virgin to the activites of everyday life.

Al

I worked with a guy who would buy a truck and take it out in the woods for some "back country pin-striping". Not something I would probably ever do, but he said he didn't worry about denting/scratching/dinging it after that...

Size15's

Flashaholic
I remember the first time I dropped the pre-production A2 sample I was sent. Hit the bezel rim on concrete from like 3ft or something. Nice dent. My heart broke but the A2 shone on and I learnt I could just get on with it - dropping anything of value is often a difficult experience. I stepped on my £150 headphones and snapped a component. Shure are fixing them for free but even so I am gutted to have broken them.

Al

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll just have to get another one to shelf and use this one as a battle horse. Don't forget it is a tool after all. Nothing wrong with having two...make the second one a milspec.