Another CPF'er needs us.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Another CPF\'er needs us.

Found this posted by Aragorn (Trevor N.) in the buy/sell board:

"$1300 was what the credit statement said- pay or die is what dad said. so- got any spare cash and a desire to own a new toy? my pricing is good and i dont mind a trade since i can resell the item- of course trasers will get you far with me and so will 123 lights."

Looks like he's in deep poo-poo, and is apparently selling off just about every light he owns before his dad beats the crap out of him.
shocked.gif

I've already stated in that thread that I'd pitch in my last $20 to help him out. (Foodbank food isn't *that* bad.)
smile.gif

Anyone else care to pick up a bat and walk to the batter's box for this guy?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Another CPF\'er needs us.

Well perhaps like other's in this group, I learned the credit card experience the hard way. In the early 90s, when my overtime stopped, my spending habits didn't. Before I knew it, my credit card balance was several thousand dollars. When it got to the point that the monthly new interest nearly covered the minimum monthly payment, I said enough was enough. For two years, I didn't use it at all and it became like a car payment where I would pay off as much as I could every month. I even took on a side job for awhile. When finally down to zero, I swore I'd never have a balance I couldn't pay off at the end of the month and I've stuck with that for several years now.

Yes, I'd like to have an M6, nice HID light, not to mention a new P4-2.4Ghz computer but
none of that would be worth the feeling I had of being in debt over my head.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

As much as I like Trev,I feel like I would be doing the guy a disservice by giving him a handout for credit card debt.Like Geepondy,I have been there.Only my credit pile was close to $45,000
shocked.gif
I have been paying constantly for 4 years,and I am almost in the clear.A year and a half,and I will be a free man.I will,however, give him the best piece of advice that I ever got:
Stand Up!Dig Out!Move On.
My friend Paul Castronova gave me that advice when I was at my lowest,and it became my daily inspiration.
Good luck Trevor.
troy

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I'm fast closing in on the big "four O" and I can say this is one pickle I've never found myself in, so I have no idea what it's like, how he got himself in this mess, or how he would get out of such a mess.

My interest was in doing the exact same thing that has been done for me - giving a little helping hand to a fellow flashlight junkie when they've fallen and they can't pick themselves back up. I'd do the same for anyone else, funds permitting of course.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had a similar experience to Geepondy. These days I never put anything on credit that I can't pay back within the same month - although since I've advanced further in both career and salary thats a lot easier than it used to be. I hate the feeling of being in debt, and avoid it at all cost..

A credit card can be a dangerous beast if you aren't careful.

Graham

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Craig-you are a good guy and I have alot of respect for your generosity.When I said I felt it would be doing Trev a disservice,I mean that strictly as it applied to me.I would never imply that you were doing something wrong by helping him.Trevor is a good kid-I hope he isn't in too much trouble with his old man.At least he can always blame it on his youth.

Man I miss the days when I could use that excuse.
frown.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I sent Trevor an e-mail and made an offer to help. He responded, I outlined my plan, and he has not, as of yet, replied.

DonL

Enlightened

I'd had a look at his list, and if there was anything on the list that I might have needed or specifically wanted, I would have taken it off of his hands. Unfortunately, I'm in a position that I can't spend money jsut to spend money, so that didn't pan out like it could have. Not for lack of willingness, mind you.
frown.gif
tongue.gif

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

never vist the cafe and someonesays "hey their talkin' about you over there"

first of all i dont want handouts to cover my misdeeds
second i apologise for not responding to the uproar my for sale post caused- ive been busy lately

fyi im now around 500 away from freedom so things are lookin up

your support has helped alot and i am grateful for it. the offer alone gives me strength to carry on.

i did not spend all 1300 of it - heck if i had it would have been for a maxibeam.
a lot of the debt came from my new business(small but a business none the less)
i feel bad that i might be depriving anyone of anything and those that have sent donations can expect me to return the favor big time. - just ask and ill help in any way posible

craig - if that was truly your last 20 then i cant except it.

its past 2:15 and i wanna sleep so from now on i will try to get someone to cover this- must sleep - exam in a few hours

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aragorn:

craig - if that was truly your last 20 then i cant except it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep it - I insist. If I didn't think I could find food, I wouldn't have sent it in the first place. I've got some money on the way anyway (but I found that out AFTER mailing yours) so I won't be in bad shape at all. If you send it back, I'm just going to keep returning it. So save your stamps, and accept the gift like a good Flashaholic.
grin.gif

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

all right but your on my to loan list now-

ill contact you when this is over about leting you play with the :
high dome orange
12pm 500lum
and any others that i have

man talk about getting strength to go on - this blew me away- i never considered myself worthy of this - my mom told my a while back that i was wrong when i claimed that cpf loks out for eachother and would give there last buck to help a cpfer out of a pit- "i think that your exagerating- no one would do that - dont put so much faith in cpf as they are likely to let you down" is what i believe she said. i should have captured the look on her face when i told her how cpf jumped to help me even down to what craig did.

for the record i am puting the stuff in packages to send them and im starting to see a dot at the end of the tunnel(dunno if thats a train yet but heresm hoping its not!)