Converters and Cree XR-E?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
With all the modding going on of swapping in Cree XR-E's, I was wondering what converters people are using, and more importantly to this novice, how easy or difficult it is to make a Cree fit the boards.

EDIT: I should probably expand on what I'm asking: for use with Alephs, mostly 1x123 configurations, varying with heads. Thanks!

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks,
john

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just going on hazy memory of all the Cree info I've read but it sounds like you could probably swap out most Lux III's for a XR-E without much problem. While maximum effieciancy appears to happen at 350ma it seems like they've been run up around 1000ma without problem and I think Newbie had charts showing up to 2000ma. If they have been run that high they must be fairly hardy. I think the Vf runs close to your average Lux III also. I plan on putting one on a FluPic which has a burst around 1000ma. I haven't studied this thoroughly yet but I think this will work with what I mentioned. I don't think you want to swap one with a Lux V though as the voltage on Lux V boards would probably be too high.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any driver that works well in a Lux III application should be fine with the Cree.

With the Aleph system you have a couple of concerns.

So far, it seems that metal must be remouved from the LED end of any stock reflector to get a satisfactory beam.
If you trim 'X' of your reflector, then you must add that 'X' back somewhere else. If you do not you will have a reflector that rattles and is loose and /or the light will not work due to no electrical contact from the end of the battery tube to the shoulder of the LE.

So you will have to have a copper wire or some other way of closely replacing the thickness of metal removed from the reflector.

Its early days yet and I would just wait, watch and read. As we all get to experiment, the 'correct' way of modding the XR-E will be revealed and I can guarantee you that there will be 'kits' made up to convert quality lights like the Aleph.

Although the Aleph series has been officially discontinued by Don, many modders will be making parts to keep it alive for many more years.

jch79

Thanks for the advice guys - I'm so excited to get going with this that I don't want to wait! But, patience is a virtue... I suppose.

jch79

Thanks Bill... been there and done that! I already own two of the A19 Cree XR-E's. :naughty:
I just wanted to see what other people were doing!
john