Changing Lens on TM301X-3?

Mike89

Enlightened
I just ordered the Nuwai TM301X-3 cause I wanted to have an LED flashlight using 2 123a batteries. It looks like a nice nice light and about the only thing I didn't care for was it has a plastic lens instead of glass. I ordered a glass lens for it from flashlightlens.com.

Now how hard is it going to be to change it? Looking at my Fenix L1T, it doesn't seem like this is going to be easy. Doesn't even look like it's made to remove.

Any help appreciated. I'm not a modder so I don't want to screw up a perfectly good flashlight.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've replaced mine in the 301X-3 and similar Q3. I used strap wrenches to get the bezel off, but many people boil the head (in a zip-lock bag!) to soften the thread lock before just using gloves to get it open. The strap wrenches are not easy to get to work right the forst time, but once you figure out that they have to be very tight and the light very clean, it works well and repeatably.
After removing the bezel, you unthread the aluminum reflector with c-ring pliers or a thin tipped set of needle nose pliers in the two holes in the bottom. Or just use regular pliers on the outside of the reflector - it will mar, but will be hidden inside the light. Once you do that, it all drops out easily. Clean some of the threadlock off and you will be able to easily take it apart by hand to replace the LED later.

Mike89

Enlightened
I had a feeling this was not going to be easy. I'll have to think about this when I get it. Dunno if I'm ready for this. I don't have a pair of c-ring pliers so I'll have to get those. Worried about damaging the LED during this process. I don't have the steadiest hand in stuff like this.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's easy and you can use a regular pair of pliers to take the reflector out, it will just mar the back of the reflector (nowhere near the shiny surface). You will see once you get it open. This is an easy light to mod. There is little chance of damaging the LED. This is the first light I ever took apart too a good one to start with.

Mike89

Enlightened
Those must be some small strap wrenches you have. Never seen any small enough to grip something only an inch or so in diameter. Plus that bezel only looks to be about a half inch wide so it seems the strap wrench would have to be of a less width than that.

Last edited:

Mike89

Enlightened
Got the light and the glass lens and changed it out. I actually twisted off the bezel just by hand. Taking the reflector out was harder. It was screwed in pretty tight, use some small vice grips on it. Now I got my glass lens.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Mike89 said:
Those must be some small strap wrenches you have. Never seen any small enough to grip something only an inch or so in diameter. Plus that bezel only looks to be about a half inch wide so it seems the strap wrench would have to be of a less width than that.

I think Lowes had some small enough.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update on the strap wrenches. I got two of them, one to hold the body the other to turn the bezel. Worked alright on the Q3, but broke one strap on the 301X-5. The straps are rubber and you can see them stretching when under tension. Figured a way to hold the body with a small Channel Lock without maring it. Even had to do the boiling trick to get the reflector out of the 5 watter.
The glass lenses are a visible improvement in the light output.