favorite <$30 household flashlight?

William_H

Newly Enlightened
I was all set to order some new lights for the car and house, and I was torn between the Inova X5 and Surefire G2, but I was wondering what some other good choices are out there if I look outside the 123 box. I have a AA charger for my digital camera, so AA's are an option.

Nell

Enlightened
What about a Streamlight Poly Pro. Luxeon? I just got one for a family member. Uses 4 AA cells.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the house? A CR123 light? Not sure why, though I can see why some people think that they have to have a light with some sort of lithium battery in the car. It also appears that you're limiting yourself to AA batteries because that is the only one that you have a charger for?

What's wrong with a plain ol' 2/3D light like one of the Mag LEDs? It's okay to use alkalines, they cost much less than the rechargeables and for an LED light, the battery life is fairly long.

In the AA category, it's kind of hard to beat the SL PP 4AA Lux for either home or car.

William_H said:
I was all set to order some new lights for the car and house, and I was torn between the Inova X5 and Surefire G2, but I was wondering what some other good choices are out there if I look outside the 123 box. I have a AA charger for my digital camera, so AA's are an option.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
One that we keep around the downstairs is a 3C LEDBeam. For less than $25 shipped I got a luxeon winner- a nice, white heatsinked MagLED clone.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite around the house flash light is a Rock River 2 C light.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second that one. Don't know why I didn't think of it, I have 4 of them sitting around in the house ... :stupid:

EDIT And if he want's to use AA batteries, the c-AA adapters, or just a plain length of PVC pipe could be used to make an adapter since AA cells are the same length as C cells.

Chronos said:
One that we keep around the downstairs is a 3C LEDBeam. For less than $25 shipped I got a luxeon winner- a nice, white heatsinked MagLED clone.

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
CMG or Gerber Infinity as my reading light, used everynight. A minimag with Nite Ize dropin by the couch if the lights go out. For a CR123 light I'd go with a Brinkmann Maxfire LX. Also, a Energizer Quick Switch (2xAA,2xC,or2xD) loaded with Ds and the SMJLED PR2 by the bed, incase I need a long lasting light.

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
I prefer a floody beam for household uses. I tend to like lights with long run times on cheap batteries for most tasks. One of my handiest lights is a Minimag with an LED upgrade. It runs forever on cheap batteries and provides a very useful beam. Most tasks around the house simply don't require much light. I would think something like an Inova X1 accompanied by a SF G2 for serious or emergency use would be good.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's worth pointing out that NiMh batteries need frequent topping off charging even if not used as they self discharge. I love the things and have more than a dozen for cameras and flashlights, but I keep them topped off with a charging session every month or so depending on use.

So if you end up keeping your light in a drawr for infrequent use, it may be better to use Alkalines or lithium primaries (non-rechargeable) or at least keep a spare set of alkalines where you keep the light.

But if you use AA's in cameras already, then I'm sure you already have some good habits. Cameras are what kill all my AA Nimh's.

cutlerylover

Banned
I will second the Maxfire LX!!! My 1st good flashlight and my second most expensive right now (1st is the 2DMagLED) I was totally impressed with the light with its smooth beam and high power! I don't have much to compare it to, but I just thinks its the best for in its price range!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. I almost convinced myself to use Eneloops for such a light until I gave it some thought and realized that a set of 4 Eneloops cost $8, and a set of 4 AA Alkalines was 80¢. Fortunately, I had enough sense to come to my senses :D .

Blindasabat said:
It's worth pointing out that NiMh batteries need frequent topping off charging even if not used as they self discharge.

So if you end up keeping your light in a drawr for infrequent use, it may be better to use Alkalines or lithium primaries (non-rechargeable) or at least keep a spare set of alkalines where you keep the light.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've got a few "good lights" and several "around the house lights". They're all great for "around the house" - but it seems the ones that get the most use (excluding the "bump in the night lights", which are very bright & have excellent throw) are:

Eternalights, Safe/Pal-lights, Gerber Infinity Ultras, Inova X1s, and MiniMags with drop-in sandwiches or SMJLEDs.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
One I've always considered a good all-round light is the UK 4AA eLED. Not the brightest, but great regulation and weather resistance. Just right for close to medium distance work. Of course I'm never without one of the many great little pocket lights at night. They're getting almost too numerous to list. A few are Arc AAA, Peak Matterhorn, CMG Infinity, Eternalight Derringer, and just about any Fenix you care to name.

Geoff

Culhain

Enlightened
I use an Inova X1 every night around the house, rarely do I need more light, but the X5 is great when I do.

For car use, I like a Gerber IU for reading directions and maps, but also have a Mag LED for emergency use. The Inova X5 is handy for lost items and/or car repair.

Recently, after dark, I needed to put air in an almost flat tire. I ended up holding the X5 in my mouth, but was wishing for a headlamp or at least something lighter and less diameter than the X5.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
For a flashlight, I will add another vote for the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon. It can take a licking, and keep shining!
If you want a very useful light for $30, I would say a Princeton Tec Quad headlight is great to have. It has 3 light levels, and headlamps can be much more useful when working on things around the house or car because you will have both hands free.

Calina

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Good point. I almost convinced myself to use Eneloops for such a light until I gave it some thought and realized that a set of 4 Eneloops cost $8, and a set of 4 AA Alkalines was 80¢. Fortunately, I had enough sense to come to my senses :D .

Except that Eneloop pollute a lot less, are rechargeable and will last for years.
Everytime you use an alkaline you are tossing $0.80 down the drain.

Latest posts