Led kit for Maglite 2AAA

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,
One always seems to read about modding the 2AA and the Solitaire (I have a lambda led myself and love it).
Is there also such a drop in kit for the 2AAA Maglite?

Thanks,
Joris

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put an MJLED in the AAA minimag, but had to drill out the reflector so it is not quite simply drop in. It works nice though.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Terralux TLE 10 in mine, it comes in a full kit with 2 reflectors one each for the
AAA minimag and the AA minimag, its an improvement over the stock bulb and will work
from rechargeable cells

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Continuing a 5 year old thread: today I received a purple MiniMaglite 2AAA. It includes a clip to it and I find it very cute. I like the size, design and the color, and even if I have lights with better performance I would like to get a decent LED-dropin to it. Is there any available options?

Regards, Patric

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a 2AAA mini mag forever. I run mine with 2AAA eneloops and a 2AA xenon lamp, it really takes the output up a notch. It's too bad there isn't a glass lens available. The only LED drop in I know of is this TerraLUX TLE-20 http://www.lighthound.com/Terralux-TLE-20-Universal-LED-Lighting-Kit_p_2149.html but I heard the beam quality is pretty lousy. Then again, I guess it isn't that good with the incan bulb either.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply ebow86,

I have Terralux dropins for 2AA Mag. In my opinion the beam character is ok and the output also. But the hotspot is pee yellow, really awful, so if it's the same with the dropin to 2AAA, I don't want it.

Regarding your 2AA Xenon lamp, isn't the runtime pretty short?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply ebow86,

I have Terralux dropins for 2AA Mag. In my opinion the beam character is ok and the output also. But the hotspot is pee yellow, really awful, so if it's the same with the dropin to 2AAA, I don't want it.

Regarding your 2AA Xenon lamp, isn't the runtime pretty short?

I have recorded a little over 1hr of solid runtime consistently when using 2 freshly charged eneloops and the maglite 2AA xenon lamp. To me, the reduced runtime is well worth it, the xenon lamp makes a pretty noticeable difference in whiteness and I find the beam quality to be a little better than the stock 2AAA lamp. I'm sure you have some AAA NIMH's laying around, I encourage you to give the 2AA xenon lamps a try.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recorded a little over 1hr of solid runtime consistently when using 2 freshly charged eneloops and the maglite 2AA xenon lamp. To me, the reduced runtime is well worth it, the xenon lamp makes a pretty noticeable difference in whiteness and I find the beam quality to be a little better than the stock 2AAA lamp. I'm sure you have some AAA NIMH's laying around, I encourage you to give the 2AA xenon lamps a try.

Yes, I have several Eneloop AAAs so it will be good I think. Thanks for tip, I will see if I will try it.

Regards, Patric

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
I have the tle-20 running in a 2AAA mag, and it's pretty respectable. Beam pattern isn't anything special, but better than standard. The colour is nice and white in my opinion.
I run it on fairly average nimh's

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the tle-20 running in a 2AAA mag, and it's pretty respectable. Beam pattern isn't anything special, but better than standard. The colour is nice and white in my opinion.
I run it on fairly average nimh's

You mean no disgusting pee yellow hotspot, then I will try it. Just placed AAA Eneloops in the Mag 2AAA. Full output in the Quark Preon 2AAA. But in the Maglite with stock bulb: poor yellowish beam, maybe 5 lumens? or so...

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest when running the 2AAA mag on eneloops and 2AA xenon lamps I actually find the output to be quite white in color, at least for a few minutes or so. It really is surprising for such a tiny incan light.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest when running the 2AAA mag on eneloops and 2AA xenon lamps I actually find the output to be quite white in color, at least for a few minutes or so. It really is surprising for such a tiny incan light.

When I tried Eneloops with the stock bulb(really the feeling of low batteries) I just became a bit doubtful about if the xenon bulb could be such a significant improvement so I would consider it worth it. But of course I can't tell before I try. If I could find a decent LED-dropin I think it's better anyway. Mag 2AAA purple is just a small beauty! :)

Regards, Patric

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I tried Eneloops with the stock bulb(really the feeling of low batteries) I just became a bit doubtful about if the xenon bulb could be such a significant improvement so I would consider it worth it. But of course I can't tell before I try. If I could find a decent LED-dropin I think it's better anyway. Mag 2AAA purple is just a small beauty! :)

Regards, Patric

Oh no doubt that an LED is the way to go with such a tiny light, but there's no doubt in my mind that the 2AA xenon lamps make a significant difference over the stock 2AAA bulbs, just try to keep in mind it's a 2AAA incan light though. Over here in the USA 2AA maglite lamps go for less than $2 us dollars, but I've heard reports that maglite merchandise is significantly more expensive over in parts of Europe, if thats the case in your area then I can understand your hesitation.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Besides the Terralux, sinounion, tektie, niteize have LED for the little Mags.

http://www.terraluxcorp.com/terralux/Products/Portable/FlashlightUpgrades/tabid/64/Default.aspx
http://www.sinounion.com.hk/index1.htm
http://stores.ebay.com/sinounionechnologyld
http://www.niteize.com/collections/flashlights
http://www.tek-tite.com/src/products.php?c=1055

Some of the upgrades from a few years ago aren't available anymore. The 2AA xenon bulb in the 2AAA is an interesting choice, especially if using long life batteries(like energizer 4x or 8x lithiums).

My NiZn batteries start off a little brighter in my AA flashlights. 2AA NiZn would be about 3.4v charged. Great way to boost a bulb. But, these batteries have their issues.

Retinator

Enlightened
Are they (Terralux) still making dropins for the AAA's? I may pick up 2 for when the lamps blow.

The 2xAAA is a nice compact size. Lamps are hard to find for the AAA's now

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they (Terralux) still making dropins for the AAA's? I may pick up 2 for when the lamps blow.

The 2xAAA is a nice compact size. Lamps are hard to find for the AAA's now

I believe the only terralux that will work is the TLE20, and they are pretty easy to find. If your having trouble finding 2AAA lamps give the 2AA xenon lamps a try.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Junction stopped carrying them but led-replacement still has them listed for $19.95.
With many 1AAA lights now outperforming the Terralux TLE-20 there is not much demand.