VB-16 Cree XR-E Focussable Aspheric Lens Mod Added long throw & comparison beam shots

Amonra

Enlightened
VB-16 Cree XR-E Focussable Aspheric Lens Mod Added long throw & comparison beam shots

Take the aspheric lens out of one of these : http://lightfuture.en.alibaba.com/offerdetail/53151907/Sell_LED_5W_MR16.html

one of these : http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut651 on a star base

and put them into one of these : http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/VB-16 3W.htm

and you get this:

I busted my VB-16 :( ( a new one is in the post ) while "modding it" so unfortunately no electronics and no heatsink, but i used the empty shell of the light to see if my thoughts were right. i had to make a new HS for this test. everything was done in a hurry so nothing is refined here, you have been warned.

Enjoy

7.jpg

1.jpg

Wide focus ( head screwed all the way in )
6.jpg

Narrow focus ( head unscrewed just until the o-ring is slightly showing )
5.jpg

2.jpg

the hole in the reflector retaining ring had to be widened as it covered part of the lens.
3.jpg

As i have no electronics i cannot tell if the VB-16 electronics will work well with the XR-E but i don't see why they should not, but i will know when i recieve my new VB-16. at the moment i am DDing the XR-E from a run down 18650.

I'm really happy with this as i will have a very bright, dimmable, focussable, efficient, long running, tough, small light, with a lot of throw and a nice smooth flood beam in one very affordable package. everything i will ever need :)

Now to find these aspheric lenses on their own and build a few more of these.........

Here are some comparison shots 3m away from wall using mobile phone camera and not really that blue:

VB-16 Aspheric Left - Golston 7W 2x3.6V right
DSC00102.jpg

VB-16 Aspheric Left - Raw NS on high right
DSC00105.jpg

Here are some long throw shots from my roof, again using mobile phone camera ( forgive the crappy quality )

i really do not know the distances but im guessing that in the red circle, the beam is split onto two buildings the closest one being lit by the bottom right part of the beam is about 70 meters away and the one behind it is about 100 meters away. it is not very visible how bright the light hitting is in this photo but you can compare to the next photo ( in yellow circle ) when unlit.
DSC00110-1.jpg

in red circle the beam is again split onto two buildings the closest one being lit by the bottom right part of the beam is about 110 meters away and the one behind it is about 180 meters away. again it is not very visible how bright the light hitting is in this photo but you can compare to the photo above ( in yellow circle ) when unlit.
DSC00107-1.jpg

one also has to keep in mind that the area is lit with street lamps so the beam is less visible, this is also evident as the beam is much more visible on the darker bulidings which have less street lights reflected on them.

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Re: VB-16 Cree XR-E Focussable Aspheric Lens Mod

WOAH!!! Nice job! It was just a matter of time....
Thanks for sharing!
john

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice find IMO !

Get it working, it'll be great !

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW!!! nice work!!!! Do you think this would work on the new model VB-16?
How did you secure the optic to the inside? More pics please I might just try that. Edit: Oh I read it again and now I get it!

More beamshots please!

Awesome work!

AlexGT

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice mod. Can you do a side by side with another common light?

cy

Flashaholic

thanks for the nice links...

Amonra

Enlightened

Bombelman: i will when i recieve the new VB-16

Alex: Thanks, i do not see why it should not work in the new model, i believe only the electronics, HA3 and that it has been made to fit a protected 18650 have been changed and not the head and reflector.

CM: thanks ill try doing some with the L1P and golston8W

CY: youre welcome

Amonra

Enlightened

GOOD NEWS
I just found a supplier for these aspherical lenses

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice mod and thanks for the info and pics. How much would the lenses cost? supplier? or will you sell them?

Amonra

Enlightened

well the supplier is the same factory that makes the mr16 bulb and he is willing to sell me some out of their stock, he is also willing to check if he can get some larger size ( particularly 27mm as the one im using is 22mm ) and/or shorter focal lengths as that would help collect more light from the XR-E and reduce the travel in the head to focus, i would then also skip making the centering ring. im not certain about the price as he will tell me exactly tomorrow but it will depend on quantities and shipping, i guess there will also be a minimum order qty. to make it worthwile for him. well see tomorrow.
I suppose i could sell them but i cannot recieve paypal payment as Malta seems to be missing from that option.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be interested in the 27 mm aspheric optic depending on specs and price.

Thanks!
AlexGT

Amonra

Enlightened

i could not get through to the supplier today. ill try again tomorrow.

Amonra

Enlightened
Re: VB-16 Cree XR-E Focussable Aspheric Lens Mod Added long throw & comparison beam shots

some comparison and long throw beam shots have been added to first post
Enjoy

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Re: VB-16 Cree XR-E Focussable Aspheric Lens Mod Added long throw & comparison beam shots

That's the definition of BLINDING!
Nice work! :thumbsup:
john

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice! The cree is really suited for these optics because it puts all its light forward into them.

I got my 2.5" lens today, and tommorow I will set it up and play!! I can't wait!!

Amonra

Enlightened

I contacted the supplier of the lenses and he can supply them and he should also have a 27mm aspheric with a short focal point of about 6 or 8mm which should be perfect for the VB-16.

as for the 22mm one the price should be around $3 - $4 with a minimum of 50pcs. order.

I should get more info tomorrow.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds very interesting - keep us posted. IsaacHayes - are you going to post some shots here or start a thread elsewhere? I'm looking forward to seeing those too. I do have an aspheric lens on the way myself - about 1" diameter with 15mm focal length I got for fairly cheap to play with on the Cree.