LED Bulb for 1156

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a new flag/whip for my ATV and it uses a nice cheap 1156 bulb which is very bright.

The flag is for riding sand dunes to alert others when your cresting a dune, I also like to turn the light on the ship when stopped at the top of a hill or dune at night.

Now the 1156 bulb just screws into the top and is not protected but I am looking at the following lights and I was wondering which is best.

I'm trying to save power here while still having a nice bright whiplight. My 4 30 watt HID"s are killing my battery and adding the whiplight and Luxeons under the ATV just pushed it over the top

http://allproducts.com/ee/lastertech/13-led_light_1157ex.html

http://www.luxeonstar.com/sub_category.php?id=178&link_str=178
(1 Watt)

or maybe
http://superbrightleds.com/specs/115x-xLX3.htm
(3 watt)

Ayone have any recomendations or alternatives?

Christexan

Enlightened
Reds and ambers will give you brightest bang for the buck (but red isn't as "noticeable" to the eye, so amber is a better choice for a "beacon" light). The bright white LEDs we rave about are great, but take a lot more power for equivalent luminosity. If wanting to "be seen" rather than "to see", go with amber LEDs.
My understanding is you want this at the top of your whip to replace the 1156 bulb (by nature, a "round throwing" bulb, emits in all directions)... the problem with all those LED links is they are intended mostly as "top throwers" (for tailight replacement, projecting straight out the fixture rather than sideways off the reflector), if my understanding is correct, you need something side-throwing, to project around the whip so people can spot you (not up at the sky)... if I'm reading correctly, none of those are going to be suitable for your usage (except to keep people from landing on top of you from above). You would need somethign "ball" shaped (or put the 1156 LED bulb inside a ping-pong ball maybe?)... to cast the light out laterally, as a standard 1156 bulb does. An LED unit with 5mm LEDs mounted around the equator for example.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Christexan you are correct, however no1 is making anything like that!

I do still think the light would be noticable especialy when riding (Flag is not straight up and down most of the time + it is a fiberglass whip) I know it won't light the ground as well due to it's beam pattern, and I would assume use the cheap 1156... but as it is now the 1156 is drawing too much power (especialy to leave it on when stopped) so I just use this fake LED glowstick thing which is not very bright. I want something really bright and I think the multiple 5mm LED's are ok, but I really like the way Luxeons look Light emitted from a single point.

keep in mind, out in the desert it's pretty dark, unless you have a light, and often very dusty. Side emitters would be perfect, and I even think that there is even a version somewhere I can't find right now that uses them, but they are also VERY fragile from my understanding, probably not ideal for a harsh environment......

The 1 watt version it looks as if the luxeon is replacable but more exposed, the superbright LED's version I am not so sure?

I also have no idea what kind of circuit is in either of these lights so I don't know which is more eficient etc, perhaps the 3 watt is actualy more efficient? It's possible!

The first link would be ideal but it may be unobtanium...

frenzee

Enlightened
Justintoxicated,

I actually bought some of the non-Luxeon version from superbrightleds.com. They are far inferior in light output compared to even a single LuxI. I have also noticed that some of the 5mm and pirhana type LEDs they use burn out after just a few minutes of continuous use. If the one in your first link uses a Luxeon (from the lumen numbers it looks like it is), I would get that and replace the LED with a side-emitting or batwing LuxI. Or if you can afford it, get the Luxeon III versrion from superbrightleds.com and replace the led with a side emitting one. That will give you more lateral flux.

BYW, despite the lumen numbers, IMHO, the red Luxeons are far brighter to the nake eye than the ambers, in both daylight and night time, but that's just my opinion.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, Well I guess I could replace the LED with a side emiting, but unless it is covered (like the first link) the side emitter may be too fragile? I'm not sure if the superbright's version is replacable either but the 1 watt version does indeed look easy to replace. However coming up with side emitting luxeons may prove difficult and expensive, so I am not really sure if it is a viable option. I have never actualy worked with a side emitter.

I sent an email about getting the one in the first link, but I have a feeling These are not actualy available unless they are purchased in bulk (no idea really)

If I'm going to have to replace the LED, it will definately have to be a red-orange :)

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
the more I look at these the more I think I can build one myself lol.

Just not sure what I would use for a cheap efficient regulator :( Probably better to just buy one. The last link http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/1156_3watt_r_wm.jpg has an interesting heatsink, but I have no idea what regulator they are using and it looks more hand made than the superbright LED's I wish I could get free samples and do a review lol.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I went with the Terra Lux version because it appears to have better regulation (sometimes I have over 12 V) and hopefully it will consume less power than superbright LED's 3 watt version. Got it for $27 shipped (OUCH) from Zbattery.com.

I'm thinking to put something like a ping pong ball, or some kinda bulb protector, over the top to help diffuse the light.

CanadianGuy

Newly Enlightened
How about www.ledtronics.com ? Their LED automotive bulbs look to be far superior than most on the market.

I saw an old el camino once with LED brake lights, and it was only about a 1.5" round red dot. Terrible...