15 passenger vans

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I'm looking for a 15 passenger van. A quick Google showed a few sources and lots of warnings. One of the sources was E-Bay. Has anyone bought a vehicle through them? I hesitate at getting a flashlight (I've gotten two). So this is several steps up in concern. Also rear AC isn't a need in Northern MN but rear heat is. Going to CA or FL is an option for pick up but the right configuration might be harder to find.
Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know one person that bought a vehicle (a "bread truck" type thing) through eBay, and he wasn't too thrilled with it, although not too unhappy either. He had hoped for better but was prepared for worse.

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless the seller happened to be local (or at least within a couple hundred miles) and I could see the thing before I bid. At least for a "transportation" vehicle. If I were a collector / restorer, I might be willing to buy from across the country.

Just like anything else on eBay, you "pays your money and you takes your chance". There are good sellers and bad sellers, and good deals and bad deals.

Brock

Flashaholic
Try checking with the state, they often sell older used passenger vans used for State Schools and prisoners
smile.gif
But seriously a friend of mine bought a extended van from the state of WI pulled out all the seats and it still runs after 5 years. You could also check other states near you, just a thought.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I have a 12 pass. van for sale. It runs like a champ, but the body is a little rusty
It is a Ford clubwagon.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I guess 15 Segways are out of the question...this is a van conversion site; http://www.sportsmobile.com/ -- they recommend certain brands for converting to 4-wheel drive, not what you are looking for I know, but you might be able to pick up alot of info on the large vans available and their engines...

Tombeis

Enlightened
Witsend:

I don't like giving advice because usually no one listens to me.

But, after many years and many vehicles, I have found that buying through a dealer near you is a interesting and fruitful concept.

My dealer for the last sixteen year, is a Chevrolet dealer five minutes from my house.

Over the years, my family,and I, and many of my friends have purchased their vehicles from this dealer. I have also tried to steer
service work to this dealer because I have found them fair in price and exacting in their work.

The dealer appreciates the business, and in turn provides all of us with good deals, and great service.

The service part is really inportant. I had one instance when a switch in a four wheel drive system went out with more then 50,000 miles on the odometer. The repair would have cost over $600.00. It was covered by warrenty. A three year 36,000 mile warranty.

Another time the dealer replaced five aluminum wheels twice in three years. The wheels finish was damaged by road salt. Not your typical warranty service.

When I ask the service manager or the write up people for something the answer is "Anything for you Tom."

Dealers with whom you have a good working relationship can do good things for you.

So. Don't buy tour vehicle from the Florida dealer when you live in Minnasota! Look around. Ask your friends where they deal. Find a dealer who is good and sells the brand you like.

Talk nice to the service people when you have a problem. It pays in the end.

That's enought preaching for tonight.

Tom