Has anyone seen a Wayne "Ovation" gas pump before ?

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
These have been appearing at a few Shell stations in my area. They have a LCD monitor that shows advertisements for items sold at the gas station store as well as sports and weather. No video was being played when I was filling up this morning though. This Shell Station is in Diamond Bar at Brea Canyon and Golden Springs.

WayneOvation.jpg

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've had pumps like that in Canada for a few years now. Don't really have time to watch the LCD when you're trying to get a perfect pump.

The bad thing about those pumps are they seem to be slower than the old pumps.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
How'd I get ahead of PhotonWrangler's post? I read PW's post BEFORE I posted my own. Strange.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! Right next to In-N-Out! In Covina, on Grand and Fairway (right next to the 10 freeway) there a gas station that has LCDs above the pumps. Last time I went there, they had the channel 5 news playing. It's a CW or WC station (not sure which it is, the sign has a big 'C' and a big 'W' on top of each other).

Now that I think about it, I think I may have actually used the pump in the photo! Right across the street, in the photo, the restaurant on the corner is one of the last few Bob's Big Boys left in California.

Last edited:

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
I was just at that Bob's, but didn't go across the street for gas... Got mine right there in the restaurant! The Big Boys in Toluca Lake is good too, very historic. I'll have to watch for those pumps. Wonder if the TV Killer would work on one?
--Bob

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
tebore said:
We've had pumps like that in Canada for a few years now. Don't really have time to watch the LCD when you're trying to get a perfect pump.

The bad thing about those pumps are they seem to be slower than the old pumps.
Hmmm....... I wonder whay they would be slower ? Could it be that the advertiser wants you to take the extra time to view their ad's ?? :ohgeez:

Luckily, we don't have those here......YET.

Cliff

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Covina, on Grand and Fairway (right next to the 10 freeway) there a gas station that has LCDs above the pumps. Last time I went there, they had the channel 5 news playing. It's a CW or WC station (not sure which it is, the sign has a big 'C' and a big 'W' on top of each other).

I just passed that station today on my way to the Office Depot at the Eastland shopping center; it's a Valero gas station. The pumps appear to be older models though with monitors added to the top.

Last edited:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have them in some places in Washington. I don't pay any attention to them, even when the pump is going slower.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
yuandrew said:
I just passed that station today on my way to the Office Depot at the Eastland shopping center; it's a Valero gas station. The pumps appear to be older models though with monitors added to the top.

Did it change to Valero? I can swear that I just saw it as being a "WC" or "CW". I remember it having a red-orange and yellow sign. I'll have to take another look. I drive by there several times every day, I'll check tomorrow.

You're right though, they are older pumps with LCDs added to the top. Pretty competitive gas prices, too. That used to be a Chevron that always had outrages prices. It's hard to see the logic behind a gas station selling their gas for 20 cents more than the station right across the street from them. It's good to see a station on that corner that has sane prices :)thinking:), for once.

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
IMO, the whole point is to get you distracted so you pump more gas than you intended to.

I'm sure someone did a marketing study when they proved that "People watching the TV consistently pumped an average of X% more gas into their tank, resulting in an additional Y% in profit for the gas station."

It's not the end of the world when you over-buy something you'll use anyway, but it's certainly a caveat emptor situation.

pathalogical

Enlightened
I just filled up at Shell the other day and noticed that it was a new pump, but didn't notice the "big" screen. Do you have EasyPay in the U.S. ? It's a small tag for your keychain that activates the pump. If you forget your wallet at home you can still pay for gas, it then gets billed directly to your credit card, no running in to pay the attendant either. Very convenient.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
yuandrew said:

Yup, while filling up at the Arco across the street, I did see that it is now a Valero. They must have just changed it. I don't think it's open yet, though. It was being painted, today.