U2 now available from SureFire?

Miracle

Enlightened
1 SureFire dealer mentioned that they have stock of U2

so is the U2 now available from Surefire?

:huh2:

Miracle

Enlightened
photorob said:
I'm a little confused here. Since when are U2's hard to come by. They are everywere.

hello photorob,

sorry,

I was refering to the latest batch from SureFire.

I wrote to SF a few times in the past and they said that it was heavily backordered.

Then today 1 of the their dealer said that they have the new U2s available.

So I am wondering if the latest batch of U2s are available from SF

photorob

Enlightened
Is the any difference between the old and new U2's. If you want a U2 there are plenty for sale in the B/S/T that can be had for much less then a distributer.

daveman

Enlightened
I had been eyeing the U2 for the longest time, but now that XR-Es are out, U2's lux Vs are yesterday's technology with 3 times the askig price it deserves.

Miracle

Enlightened
daveman said:
I had been eyeing the U2 for the longest time, but now that XR-Es are out, U2's lux Vs are yesterday's technology with 3 times the askig price it deserves.

hello daveman,

what is this XR-Es?

daveman

Enlightened
Miracle said:
hello daveman,

what is this XR-Es?

Assuming you're not yanking my chains, XR-Es are a new breed of LED recently (very recent) introduced by Cree, one of Lumilled's few competitors. The XR-Es are much, much brighter than any Lux I, III, or Vs from Lumilled, while using roughly half the current to generate that impressive output. These LEDs do require specially designed reflector/optics to project their beams in useful patterns, so I have only seen two lights with XR-Es as of today. But with the highest bin of XR-Es (Q3), 100 lumens a watt is now reality.
This is why I would not buy a SF, or any Luxeon based lights now without heavy discounts; they're already obsolete!

Miracle

Enlightened
daveman said:
Assuming you're not yanking my chains, XR-Es are a new breed of LED recently (very recent) introduced by Cree, one of Lumilled's few competitors. The XR-Es are much, much brighter than any Lux I, III, or Vs from Lumilled, while using roughly half the current to generate that impressive output. These LEDs do require specially designed reflector/optics to project their beams in useful patterns, so I have only seen two lights with XR-Es as of today. But with the highest bin of XR-Es (Q3), 100 lumens a watt is now reality.
This is why I would not buy a SF, or any Luxeon based lights now without heavy discounts; they're already obsolete!

Hello daveman,

thank you for the info.

I have been researching the cree led units some time ago but i did know it was called the XR-Es.

Lately I did not do much search because I am very very busy doing a massive tender for Oil & Gas. I coordinate and reply international emails from 6am to 12am. its like a 24 hour thingy.

but at least i m still breathing

:sick:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
All so true, but it will be some time before a major reputable manufacturer offers a decent flashlight using the CREE XR-E. There is a thread in the LED forum regarding "panic selling" of current LUX products that just about everyone has dismissed.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Like heck I would drop $250 on a LuxV now.

Much better things are on the way. Always thought the LuxV's output was pathetic anyways in some flashlights.

LED61 said:
All so true, but it will be some time before a major reputable manufacturer offers a decent flashlight using the CREE XR-E. There is a thread in the LED forum regarding "panic selling" of current LUX products that just about everyone has dismissed.

Sandwich Shoppe, Millermods and the rest of them that are already selling Cree XRE lights seem pretty reputable and have been excellent in my dealings with them.

A Cree based light from a larger manufacture can't be far away.

Last edited:

Mike89

Enlightened

I hardly think the Luxeon is obsolete or will be any time soon. There is still plenty a market for them. Seems many are flipping over backwards for this cree when it is still quite likely a ways before it's mainstream. Sure you can buy a modded one now if you want to pay $240 for the novelty to own one. Right now I can't in any way justify that kind of money when my trusty L2T suits my needs fine right now. $240 vs $40 is sure not giving me that much more light for the difference in price. I'll wait awhile for the price to come way down and in the meantime be quite content with what I have now.

Sorry, I'm just not in a tizzy right now over this thing like a lot here seem to be. Don't get me wrong, I like more light just as much as the next guy, but it doesn't make me frown now when I turn on what I got.

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
Mike89 said:
I hardly think the Luxeon is obsolete or will be any time soon. There is still plenty a market for them. Seems many are flipping over backwards for this cree when it is still quite likely a ways before it's mainstream. Sure you can buy a modded one now if you want to pay $240 for the novelty to own one. Right now I can't in any way justify that kind of money when my trusty L2T suits my needs fine right now. $240 vs $40 is sure not giving me that much more light for the difference in price. I'll wait awhile for the price to come way down and in the meantime be quite content with what I have now.

Sorry, I'm just not in a tizzy right now over this thing like a lot here seem to be. Don't get me wrong, I like more light just as much as the next guy, but it doesn't make me frown now when I turn on what I got.
How should I put this? Current generation of Lux IIIs and Vs are not obsolete to use, but obsolote to buy. There...

Mike89

Enlightened
Why don't you just say it's obsolete for you instead of a blanket statement that does not apply to the masses. If it was obsolete, the flashlight makers would have to start selling apples or something.

What you are talking about is not even mainstream yet (and may still not be for awhile).

It's like saying since the Cadillac hit the drawing board, the Chevy is already obsolete. I think it's a bit premature to just write off the Luxeon just yet.

Last edited: