help me pick a Fenix

jayhackett03

Enlightened
i'm interested in getting a Fenix. Give me your opinions of each Fenix, and you ideas of which Fenix is best for what job.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2S --> budget, beats any Mag-Led in every way (+ 2 stage output)
L1T --> max output in small package (+ 2 stage output)
L2T --> best light overall (brightness, runtime, battery choice, (+ 2 stage output))
L0P --> small size
L1P --> sux (compared to a L2P head on L1P body)
L2P --> with L1 Body + "2-stage head mod": L2S with better finish, individual low level
P1 --> small size, high output
E1 --> small size
Civictor --> budget, budget

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow said:
...L1P --> sux...
Have to disagree...this was the one that started it all. When it came it out, it kicked pretty much every other production light's butt for combo of output, run time, quality and cost; and still does good. That said, I prefer the civictor for having best reliability, smaller size, and nicer "feel"...

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
1. All the Fenix lights are thoroughly reviewed at FlashlightReviews.com. Have you looked there/studied those nifty reviews (for runtimes/beam throw/output)?

2. The CPF "Search" button is your friend.

3. "Best for what job" is a pretty open question. Suggest you be more specific re your illumination tool/job-needs, such as "I'm a veterinary proctologist who examines Belgian draft horses under damp/dim/ambient light conditions..."

paulr

Flashaholic
L1p works much better on alkaline aa's than the L2p head does. The L2p head can't cope with too much voltage sag.

glire

Enlightened
jayhackett03 said:
i'm interested in getting a Fenix. Give me your opinions of each Fenix, and you ideas of which Fenix is best for what job.
I you have to get only one, then the L0P-SE.
When "the best of the year 2006" thread will start I'll vote for it :)

TonkinWarrior said:
3. "Best for what job" is a pretty open question. Suggest you be more specific re your illumination tool/job-needs, such as "I'm a veterinary proctologist who examines Belgian draft horses under damp/dim/ambient light conditions..."
I'm a chocolate maker ;)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Civictor. Why?
That little beam really throws, but at the same time isn't blindingly bright up close and has a good, large spill. It makes for a very good EDC.
Not to mention it's only 27 bucks. A good point to keep in mind as I think LED lights are going to get an overhaul in 2007 (Read: Cree), so I wouldn't sink too much into it.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
L0P-SE -> L0P, E1, E0 all in 1 small light.

The Civictor is more pocketable than the L1P/L1T/L1S. The 1/4" storter makes a big difference.

schill

Newly Enlightened
yellow said:
...L1P --> sux...
nerdgineer said:
Have to disagree...this was the one that started it all. When it came it out, it kicked pretty much every other production light's butt for combo of output, run time, quality and cost; and still does good. That said, I prefer the civictor for having best reliability, smaller size, and nicer "feel"...

I have just about every Fenix model - and I prefer my original L1P to all of them. I think it's got the best beam quality and I prefer the shape of the body to those that came after (I prefer the L2P bodies to the L2T/S version too).

In fact, my L1P was my EDC until just a few days ago. I started getting paranoid about losing/damaging it and leave it at home now. I've got an L1T with me right now, but that will probably change to an L1T + CR123 adapter soon.

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened
P1 is a rocker as a nightime companion to save your *** in urban areas where public lights are not bright enough and pollute your night vision.
L0P-SE is the winner for EDC with the 3 stages. I tested it on the field and it saved me and my girlfriend from a cold night in the forest.
I like small and concealable lights.

frank777

Enlightened
The LOP-SE uses a strobing effect on the default medium intensity beam, which I don't care for. You have to turn the flashlight off and then back on again to get the regular steady and bright beam.

carrot

Flashaholic
The L2T is by far my favorite Fenix due to its selectable dual brightnesses, high output, and long runtime.

cloud

Newly Enlightened
You dont say what purpose the flashlight will be used for...
I suggest you take a look over at flashlight reviews as tonkinwarrior has posted.

Personally my choice would be for the L2T with L1T body as it gives you a choice of physical size(length) & runtimes.

For keyring EDC carry fenix LOP or EI/EO.

YMMV.. hope above helps.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
fwiw, I just received an L2S and L2T. My quick test shows the predicted 3hr run time with the L2T on high with 2x 2700mah Powerex AA cells. However a couple run time tests with the L2S and 2x 2700mah Powerex AA cells is running over 5 hrs before dropping below 1.1 v. The Fenix-Store website predicts a 4 hr run time but does not give the ampacity of the cells for that predicted run-time. Has anyone else noticed the extra run time on the L2S?

Why am I saying anything? For years I was always looking for more light output and just kept charging batteries. Now that LEDs have significant light output - maybe good enough for the "personal range" - I have been graduating to "how bright for how long?".

Tim

Late correction: When the L2S head heated up under a long run, and because I don't like to crank on the head for the high output, it switched to low brightness. My bad! actual run times are in the order of 4:30.

Last edited:

jayhackett03

Enlightened
ended up getting the L1P. the fact that it was Flashlight of 2005 kinda sold me. thanks guys. hopefull i'll like it. oh, and cause i got 15% off:)

Last edited:

jezzyp

Enlightened
L1P is great. You can mod it to a 2 stage with a little soldering - if I can make it a 2 stage - anyone can. Just do a search on here.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in a quandary too concerning Fenix. I want to get my brother a general household light. For all purposeness, like other's I think the L2T is the best bet but there is one thing I don't like about it. My brother and wife I'm sure will keep it in the kitchen countertop. I find that when you stand it up, it gets knocked down easily. I think with an L1T due to it's shorter center of gravity, it will tend to stay in place more. Regardless of which light, I think I will get them a set of Eneloop batteries and a charger. My first thought was to just get them 48 Kirkland AA batts and that would last them for surely more then a year but I don't like the alkaline discharge curve. I've read that the Huntlight FT-A2 (which I have) now has a pretty flat alkaline discharge rate but I don't think the reliability is quite that of a Fenix. On mine, the o-ring is chewed up and once in awhile the reverse clickie switch does not work and I have to shut it back off and on.

Latest posts