cree vs luxV With NEW Beam Shot(11-7) and other images

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to jopin the rush here are my observations from two almost identical flashlights. as you can see here.
sideview.jpg

One is a cree one is a LUX V
as you can see here:
topview.jpg

the beam shot says it all here: (at aboyt 8 foot)
beamshot.jpg

That about does it unknown cree bin blows doors off similar flashlight with Lux V at close to an amp.

As promised here are the beamshots tonight using fresh one day rested RCR123a's
freshcell.jpg

It still looks like the same story to me just a little different form primaries.

Yaesumofo

Last edited:

m1999

Newly Enlightened
Re: cree vs luxV With Beam Shot and other images

Impressive. I'm sure that Cree will overtake LuxV market, especially flood lights. Is Cree good enough to get LuxIII market, most popular LED today? The question is: can Cree light be focused into spot as Lux III can be. With small reflector or optics of course (2-2,5cm)?

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

m1999 said:
Impressive. I'm sure that Cree will overtake LuxV market, especially flood lights. Is Cree good enough to get LuxIII market, most popular LED today? The question is: can Cree light be focused into spot as Lux III can be. With small reflector or optics of course (2-2,5cm)?

only with optics, cree make also a 20mm optic that give a tight spot of 8° of divergence

m1999

Newly Enlightened

davidefromitaly said:
only with optics, cree make also a 20mm optic that give a tight spot of 8° of divergence

Only optics - why? What about nice bright sidespill from textured 1" reflector?

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it's too early to conclude "only with optics".

Almost any light source can be focussed like a Lux-III given the proper reflector. We just need more XR-E specific reflectors researched and built!

WP

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd be curious of the result if, the reflectors were switched. The Lux V appears to have a heavily orange peeled fairly shallow reflector, designed for flood, and the Cree appears to have a smoother orange peeled deep reflector, designed for throw.

At any rate, nice job yaseumofo! Looking good! :thumbsup:

Dave

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast

45/70 said:
The Lux V appears to have a heavily orange peeled fairly shallow reflector, designed for flood...
I'm pretty sure the Lux V reflector wasn't "designed for flood". It was designed to be small, so it doesn't feel like you're trying to carry a Mag2C in your pocket head first. It is a consequence of its small size and the relatively large size of the emitter that it results in a flood beam.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ty_Bower said:
I'm pretty sure the Lux V reflector wasn't "designed for flood". It was designed to be small, so it doesn't feel like you're trying to carry a Mag2C in your pocket head first. It is a consequence of its small size and the relatively large size of the emitter that it results in a flood beam.
Nevertheless, I just thought it would be interesting to see the results, as the two reflectors pictured, are of obvious different design. :)

Dave

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, you sure the 5w led is getting 1amp? whats the battery in there? R123a? Is it charged? lol Sure looks like something is wrong with that 5w, even the side spill is anemic!

lotsalumens

Enlightened

I doubt there is anything wrong with the LuxV light in the photo. My A19 1x123 Cree totally blows away my big Surefire L5 in both throw and overall output. It's closest to my HD45 WWOT and has similar throw. That kind of throw and output from a tiny Aleph is really amazing. This is a fantastic little emitter!

Charles

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, yaesumofo. Although I'd already ordered one before I saw this thread, I definitely would have ordered after seeing you beamshot!

greenLED

Flashaholic

McGizmo posted pics comparing an XR-E to a SF L6, IIRC - I don't think this LuxV is subpar or anything.

lotsalumens

Enlightened

LightBright said:
yes, and where are people getting them?? I just want the bare LED

I think there is a group buy going on somewhere. Maybe look in the custom lights area. These A19s came from the Shoppe.

Charles

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Isaac. Fresh primaries in both. by itself the Lux V is a very impressive light (especially for it's size). Next to the cree it is not.
From my perspective these lights couldn't be more similar.
The Cree does the same thing to my lights with KL4 heads.
I love my KL4 heads it is just that muck better.
My only wish is that it is a 2 stage light. When used with my 2 stage switches the low is way too low.

I will not be getting rid of any of my lux III flashlights any time soon.
But I have a whole big bunch of luxeon emitters both premium III's and V's I don't know what to do with now. I can't see going back any time soon.

Yaesumofo

IsaacHayes said:
Wow, you sure the 5w led is getting 1amp? whats the battery in there? R123a? Is it charged? lol Sure looks like something is wrong with that 5w, even the side spill is anemic!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

lotsoflumens, hey voltnet man! ;) That's pretty crazy, it seems as though either the LuxV is over rated (not 120lumens typical) or the Cree is underrated!! From what I'm hearing it seems that the cree when current is doubled from 350ma to 700ma the jump in lumens is way better than say the jump from a luxeon1 s-bin doubling the current.

Just seems mind blowing that this little led is such a hot performer. I'm still kind of thinking in the back of my head it's not going to be that great. I have a cree sitting here just waiting for my heatsink. I have a feeling I'm going to be going "holy @#$!" when I do fire it up!

It looks like it's waaaay more than 2X as bright as the LuxV, when if you go by the ratings it should be about equal!! All with 1/2 the power!! :drool:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast

yaesumofo said:
Fresh primaries in both...
Is it possible to fully drive a Lux V off a single primary CR123A cell? At minimum, you'd need to pull 1.67 amps from a 3.0 volt cell, and run it through a 100% efficient driver to get five watts to the Lux V. I just don't know of any primaries that are up to the job, nor do I know of any drivers that are 100% efficient.

Of course, I don't mean to undermine the Cree. It is simply fantastic how it can make so much light with so little power.