Laur Weaponry writes back on my Duracoat question....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been considering doing the Duracoat thing to a light or two (like the Aleph 1.5x123 body I have coming) so I emailed them asking what finishes are the flat/dull finish and what procedure they'd recommend for doing aluminum flashlight bodies. This is their response:

"All DuraCoat colors are flat except Gloss Black, HK Black, HK Blue/Gray, Gun Blue, and Black Oxide. For the very best in performance you should degrease with our TruStrip, then blast with 60 grit aluminum oxide, blow the residual blast media dust off the parts and immediately coat with DuraCoat."

Anyone want to add anything?

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
How flat or how glossy the end product comes out also depends on how much hardener you add. I forgot the exact ratio, but the more hardener, the glossier the finish comes out. I coated my KL1 + Aleph 2x123 + SF clickie tailcap in OD green. :thumbsup: Came out good and flat. Would be nice if Lauer provided customers with actual finished product samples. What you see online can be quite different from what your coated items ends up looking like. I thought ACU deep gray green would turn out darker than it ended up as. OD green looked really dark onscreen, but when I finally applied it, it looked lighter. Both were flat and that's how I wanted them.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Aleph body on the way that I want to try match to the KL1 head/Z57 tailcap that I have... trying to decide which color would be best...