new maglite 3watt 2AA

krazy89

Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I'm new here...

I just saw the new maglite 2AA 3watt on sale and just wondering if there is a end cap button that works for it.

I've heard that the IZE ones aren't compatible with it??? i just plain don't know.

Also, if anyone can point me in the direction to a shop (i'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada) or an online store that will ship to me, for the end cap button, that would be great.

Thanks,

KraZy

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You heard right, none of the third party switches for the MiniMags will work with the MiniMag LED lights without modification. The MiniMag LED uses a longer spring in the tail cap, and also has an anodized section on the inside of the barrel that prevents the third party tailcaps from completing the circuit to make the light work. If you want to use one of the current third party tailcaps, you'll need to make some modifications to either the switch or the light to make it work. Personally, I like using the Kroll switch because I can take the spring from the MiniMag LED and use it to replace the spring on the Kroll switch.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
As has been pointed out in other threads on this subject, the TerruLUX clickie works fine by just lengthening the spring; no other mod. They had been on sale for $3.95 on the LED Supply website, but probably sold out since I don't see them on the website anymore. I've done this on both the 2cell AA and 3 cell AA versions, no problems. I've even tried it with the Nite Ize clickie and it works although it's a bit more difficult to lengthen the spring.

Harvey

krazy89

Enlightened
Thx for the info Harvey,

This sucks... that's the only thing that's stopping me from buying this light.

But, i guess a mod will come out sooner or later... i can live with twisting it on/off for now...

Thanks,

KraZy

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
get a Fenix L2S,
the 2 AA Minimag-Led is the direct competitor and much WORSE in every respect

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if the Terralux switch is any different than the Ram switch that it resembles, but stretching the spring isn't always a good idea as it will eventually retract and you can get flickering if the spring is too weak to maintain solid contact after stretching.

Insofar as a "mod" though, you can do that now. There just isn't a switch that you can just buy and drop in right out of the package.

krazy89 said:
Thx for the info Harvey,

This sucks... that's the only thing that's stopping me from buying this light.

But, i guess a mod will come out sooner or later... i can live with twisting it on/off for now...

Thanks,

KraZy

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That almost sounds like spam.
Unless you're advertising for Fenix, can you cite a few of the "WORSE in every respect" points?
Don't forget the famous Chinese warranty either :D

yellow said:
get a Fenix L2S,
the 2 AA Minimag-Led is the direct competitor and much WORSE in every respect

Last edited:

krazy89

Enlightened
I haven't read up on the Fenix L2S yet... but since there's so much praise for it... i might look into it...

anyone know what store/online shop is in the vancouver, bc area? or ship to vancouver, bc??

thx.

KraZy

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try fourseven's Fenix-Store.com, good guy, ships worldwide, all shipping is included in the price of the light. Don't know if Fenix lights are available in any stores.

krazy89 said:
I haven't read up on the Fenix L2S yet... but since there's so much praise for it... i might look into it...

anyone know what store/online shop is in the vancouver, bc area? or ship to vancouver, bc??

thx.

KraZy

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone bothers to save it, putting the spring back into the original tailcap and then using the twist on/off head would probably be more effective than using aluminum foil (which is subject to falling out if you don't tape in it, and it makes a lousy spring :D )

flashlife said:
Just stuff the tailcap with aluminum foil and go back to twisting ?... :) :)

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I'm a Fenix fan, but the L2S doen't beat the 2AA minimag in every aspect, IMHO. The Minimag is brighter and throws farther, is focusable and basically fool proof(not to mention more than $10 cheaper).

The clicky problem can be solved by making a simple spacer to go in behind the batteries. I used a piece of 7/16" aluminum rod cut to about 1/4" in length with a layer of heat shrink tubing around the outside to keep it from making contact with the inner battery tube, seemed to work quite well for me.....tried it with the Nite Ize IQ switch and the basic Nite Ize switch...both worked fine.

In addition, you may have to knock the anodizing of of the very end of the body tube with some fine sandpaper....I didn't have to with mine but I'd read that this can be an issue.....

krazy89

Enlightened
hey guys.. thanks for all your info...

i've basically narrowed it down to 2 models... either the Maglite 2AA 3watt.. or the L2T... which is a more fair comparison.. since the L2S is only a 1watt bulb...

The biggest thing for me right now is price and availability... the mag i can get almost anywhere.. at about $20 CDN... the L2T is like $45 USD... which is more than double the price!!!!....

I think for the time being.. i will get the mag... it agrees with my wallet the best... although i like the L2T more.... i love the end cap push button ....

Thank you everyone,

KraZy

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 2AA Magled and like it quite a bit. My only complaint is that the spill beam is too small! It is only a little more than half the size of the Fenix L1P (or most other lights). This makes it less useful and also makes it look less bright when being shined at the ground.

Either way for $24 it is a pretty good deal, and has awesome runtime on two 2650 duracells. If you are only going to buy one light I would pick up a Fenix. It is a superior light with a clickie and with full regulation on two levels. The output will be similar, but the Fenix will appear much brighter.

krazy89

Enlightened
Hey guys...

i know Fenix are better lights... but.. considering they are twice the price... i don't know if it's really worth it...

Can anyone tell me where is the cheapest (reliable) place / online store to get Fenix lights? at fenix-store it's like $45USD for the L2S (1 watt)

The MagLED i can get for $24 CDN.... which is pretty much half the price...

Also, can someone clarify if the MagLED is regulated? it says that it has boost circuitry (from flashlightreviews.com), is that the same?

Thanks,

KraZy

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MiniMag LED is not regulated, but the output is noticably brighter. If regulation is that important to you, then the Fenix may be worth the additional cost. If you're looking for a light that will continue to be supported more than a couple of years down the road you'll probably be better off with the MiniMag. While the MiniMag is not regulated, an option that you may choose is to use NiMH batteries instead of alkalines, as the NiMH batteries have a steadier (flatter) discharge curve during its life-cycle that will offset some of the variations that you might encounter with alkaline batteries. That having been said, some people don't even notice the variations while using alkalines, so it may just be a matter of personal choice.

krazy89 said:
Hey guys...

i know Fenix are better lights... but.. considering they are twice the price... i don't know if it's really worth it...

Can anyone tell me where is the cheapest (reliable) place / online store to get Fenix lights? at fenix-store it's like $45USD for the L2S (1 watt)

The MagLED i can get for $24 CDN.... which is pretty much half the price...

Also, can someone clarify if the MagLED is regulated? it says that it has boost circuitry (from flashlightreviews.com), is that the same?

Thanks,

KraZy