Luxeon 1 watt UV?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say it's as much violet as ultra-violet. The PDF states 395 NM, 200 mW, 6 hour run time.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Justintoxicated said:
I must be way behind the times I was not aware Luxeon has a 1 watt UV LED!

http://www.lightguys.biz/index.php?item=27&ret=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lightguys.biz%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D1%26category%3D4

I'm thinking maybe they mean Royal Blue?

The photo in that ad is wrong but the info in the .pdf is correct. The photo clearly shows a white Luxeon - note the yellow phosphor on the chip. The UV drop-in is actually based on ther Cree 7090-UV X-lamp series.

I have one of these (got it from Brightguy) and it works really well!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah click the link for the pdf and it's a cree UV. I bought one modded in a 2C purple mag and it's really cool! Shows up *ahem* stains well. :green: The 2C mag also charges GITD epoxy and stuff a lot too. And the reflector throws the beam pretty far for UV!!

If you wanted to build one like mine the shoppe has the uv cree moutned on a pcb board. and put that on an o-sink (filed flat). Of course this will run you more $$.. EDIT: I see they have PR adapters for it. I doubt it's 350ma to the led though like my 2C mag!

I have 3 2C mags now... All of them are colored leds!! lol

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a spare Hotlips with sleve I was going to mount a Lux V on but never got around to it (Lux V collecting dust... as is the O-sink) I also have an Old Silver 3C mag would that be too much power for it?

Stains huh, might be good to have if I travel!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd want a driver for it. Depending on what batteries you use (nimh or alk) you'd need a buck or buck/boost circuit. 3xNiMH might not be enough voltage after they have settled as the Vf of the UV is around 4v I belive. Hot off the charger it could be too much.. I'd go with no more than 500ma. 350ma is spec. My 2C has a NextGen350ma in it, and runs well on both alkalines and NiMH.

Yeah I was surprised the 390nm showed up stains. My 5mm lights that show up stains are 380nm or lower... yeah I'm going to pack it next trip I take.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

We sell the TerraLux TLE-5UV for $28.95 and have a pic of the actual item on the page. Also, don't forget to use coupon code cpf2006 for an additional 5% off.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/miulvikitwi1.html

First class shipping will be pretty cheap.

As PhotonWrangler correctly pointed out it utilizes a Cree 7090-UV X-lamp - a spec sheet for which is linked on the item page for those interested.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You're close, Illum_the_Nation. At 460nm, the "dental blue" Luxeons are firmly into the visible blue range. UV LEDs are generally considered to be 395nm or less. Many things will fluoresce under blue LEDs, but not as strongly as under UV.