Star Wars- Attack of the Clowns??

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone see the new Star Wars movie yet?

I did. Hate to say it, but I was really disappointed.

I might have enjoyed it more if a guy the size of Jabba the Hutt with ears as big as Jar-Jar Binks hadn't sat in front of me forcing me to sit in an uncomfortable position for the whole thing.

OK, the STORY was very good. I might even buy the book.

The acting was generally pretty "wooden"; it seemed as if most of the actors were bored and just saying their lines to get it over with.

Christopher Lee was about the only one that seemed to be "into it" consistently; but he is far from being a great actor at any time.

Natalie Portman (YUM!) was pretty decent for about half of her screen time, but overall, this is probably the "least good" performance of hers that I have seen.

Hayden Christensen as Anakin had a couple of scenes that he did OK in. I was not impressed overall.

Samuel L. Jackson, who can be a superb actor, has been totally wasted in both this one and in the last one. He gets a little more screen time in the new one, but might as well have not showed up for either.

Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan was good in Episode I. Mediocre at best in this one.

Yoda didn't seem as wise as usual, although he was in a couple of action scenes for the first time. Unfortunately, those scenes were over-done, yet lame.... I mean, here is a guy that can hardly walk, but in his fight scene he is doing flips and spins that would make Mary Lou Retton and Kristi Yamaguchi jealous. (Probably few of you are old enough to know who MLR is.)

C3P0 and R2D2 were no where near as "cute" (or irritating depending upon your perspective) as usual.

Bad Guys: other than Christopher Lee, the rest of them pretty much remind me ... well, never mind, I was going to make a political statement.. Lets just say they seemed more venal and wimpy than evil and dangerous.

Visuals: not impressed- the ones in Phantom Menace were much more impressive and realistic.

Special effects: The ones in the original Star Wars twenty odd years ago were more effective & believable.

Dialogue: a half dozen good lines. The rest; LAME.

Fight scenes: LAME LAME LAME.

A couple of neat looking new space vehicles.

I really wanted to like this movie. I've been a Star Wars fanatic since the first one came out. The best I can say about it is that it is an OK way to spend a couple of hours. Go to a matinee showing, don't pay full ticket price for it.

Kids that like the Power Rangers or whatever the popular new japanimation superheroes are will probably enjoy this movie more than anyone with discerning taste.

papasan

Enlightened
i too was somewhat dissapointed...i thought the acting was lame and the story moved very slowely for the first hour...from the gladiator scene on i thought it picked up quite a bit, but in an 'action' sort of way and not a 'good movie' sort of way...i thought the last one was extremely lame and the first half of this one was even worse...

i have to admit, tho, that yoda's action scenes had me smiling...laughing out loud for alot of it...very camp...

these stories don't 'flow' nearly as well as 4, 5, and 6 did...i don't feal nearly as attached to any of the characters...but perhaps because i'm old and cynical...alot of instantaious communication and almost-instantanious travel from one end of the galaxy to the other, specially the last battle...it all bugged me...

anyhow, i probably only go to see them anymore because of 4, 5, and 6...i wouldn't waste my money otherwise...

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of the acting was in front of a blue screen with the actors by them self and you could tell. They were just reciting the lines. The dialog was kind of flat. There is more action than you can grasp in some scenes. This one did feel more "Star Wars" then Episode I. But in 4, 5, and 6 the charictars had more personality it seemed.

But even after all that, I still liked the movie a lot. I think it gave Star Wars fans what they wanted after the "Disney" like feel of the Episode I. Don't go into it expecting Casablanca, go into the movie like a 12 year old waiting to drool when Yoda gets into the action, it will be a lot better. Your right though Silviron, he does all those moves and then grabs his cane and limps over to the others. Still, if your a Star Wars fan GO SEE THIS MOVIE! Don't read critics reviews before hand. I'll definitely see it again and again, no matter what anyone says.
smile.gif

I wish someone like Spielberg would have collaborated with Lucas like they did on Indiana Jones to get the script and charictars more life like. Lucas now seems to be concerned with everything but the acting. It does sum up a lot that left you guessing from Episode I. And yes Natalie Portman especially in the last half could be the sole reason to see this movie!!

Speaking of Natalie Portman, did anyone see her on Letterman last night.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Roger Ebert seems to sum the movie up pretty good.

Andre

Newly Enlightened
I just saw it today and I was not impressed. Lord of the Rings was waaay better than this. The only cool part was the Yoda fight scene.

There was one scene with Anakin and Amidala which was so, SO bad. The dialogue was just painful. People in the audience started laughing it was so bad. I can't immediately remember a movie with dialogue that bad, and that badly delivered.

Actually it reminded me of some dialogue from Ghost in the Shell, but that had an excuse since it was anime, translated from Japanese into English. Maybe something was lost in the translation. (Just did an imdb search on the movie - the stilted dialogue in the anime was something called a "philosophy break". So it was supposed to be bad?
tongue.gif
)

OK, got off track there. I also found it confusing that the clones were the "good" guys. I always thought they were bad. Then again, I think they are going to become the bad guys later. Doesn't that also make the Jedi bad guys? Where's their clairvoyance? And why didn't the bad guy kill Yoda when he was distracted? And who wrote all those totally lame C3PO head/body jokes? I bet it was one of Lucas' kids. Actually, I bet they wrote a lot of the movie. It's almost hard to believe Lucas did such a lame job on this movie.

That's enough ranting for now. I'd start ranting about the lame ending to Arlington Road but I'd be getting off track again.
smile.gif