Anyone have Experience with Vibrating Tumblers?

jtice

Flashaholic
I have been thinking about getting a Vibrating Tumbler for a while now.
But I am not sure if it is really going to do what I need.

I would like for it to clean/buff Aluminum parts,
maybe clean light rust off other metals.
Take burrs off parts, mainly Aluminum.

Has anyone used one of these on any Aluminum parts? bolts? etc?
Whats the results like?

here is the one I am thinking of getting.
Cabelas Tumbler

Thanks
~John

cyberhobo

Enlightened
I'm only familiar with rotary tumblers. I find the best tool to use for cleaning/buffing and burr removal is a nice bench wheel with the proper wire wheel, buffing/polishing wheels and rouge.

Reaper

Enlightened
Been using the large Dillon vibrating tumbler for years now on pistol, rifle and tool parts. How long it takes to clean depends on the cleaning media and polishing compound you use. To remove rust and burrs on my tool parts I used a mixture of crushed walnuts (50lb. bags from pet shop) and a handful or two of bird shot. This mixture would remove any rust and such from machinery parts. How much you mix depends on the the size of the unit, how much walnuts you use and the size of shot or BB's or whatever. This also affects the cleaning time too. Here's another weird tip to get a high shine on brass (if you shoot). I add in some auto polish (Westley's works the best) to new walnut as it's vibrating until it's mixed in well. BTW, if the parts you want to do are either large or heavy, the vibrator may not do the job.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I have one from Rio Grande - I have both the "wet" and "Dry" tubs, and have used both plastic and small ceramic media in the we tub, and corncob and walnut in the dry. One issue with the small ceramic and plastic media is that they WILL jam in the hollows of parts if you do not pick the right sizes. The machines are quite loud when used with the ceramic media

Bogie

Enlightened
I have 2 one it the house for cleaning brass cases & one in the garage for cleaning bolts & small parts

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks alot for the info guys.

Most all the cheaper small ones I am looking at, like the one I linked to above, are all for dry media only.
The price goes up rather fast if you want one that can take wet media. :(

It sounds like, for the most part, these will do what I want.
I am not expecting alot from one of these small ones, but it seems it would be useful.

~John

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget that depending on how much sheen you want, it will take from several hours to several days. Don't forget polishing compound also.

jtice

Flashaholic
But, I assume that you cant even use any thick compounds in the dry only tumblers?
Or would that not be runny enough to get down in the machine?

I dont see why they arent all able to do wet media.
I know that some have automatic drianing etc.
But wouldnt the bowls on all of them be solid? and be able to retain compounds, etc. ?

~John

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
jtice said:
...snip...
I dont see why they arent all able to do wet media.
I know that some have automatic drianing etc.
But wouldnt the bowls on all of them be solid? and be able to retain compounds, etc. ?

~John

The reason is the water/soap mix (OK water and "cutting agent") gets dirty and saturated

The Wet types have a drain in the bottom (always open) - and you have a tank, and a bucket of cutting solution with a pump - basically a small fish pond pump. You adjust the amount of solution flow to just keep the media wet - just enough for best "action" - the water is constantly flowing out the drain into your bucket, where the dirt settles out.

Believe it or not, the first time you run your media (be it ceramic or plastic) you run it with the tumbler 'empty' - aka no work in there - the media knocks all it's own burrs off! you get a LOT of mud during that run

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks alot for the explanation KC21XE, that makes alot of sense now.

Sounds like I could use a polishing/buffing compound in a dry one if I wanted,
just would have to take the time to carefully clean it out later, and it may need a couple cycles,
since there is no pump and constant flow to keep the solution clean.

~John