Sam's Club Elements

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
Well sorta anyway.

I'm sure someone here already tried this but I didn't see any postings.

AFter buying those element lights I immediately tried putting an empty Fuji 35mm film canister on instead of the reflector assembly and it fit just right.

Although it's difficult to tell from the pictures, it puts out a lot of light; certainly enough to allow reading or studying when the power goes out.

Fuji is the only brand of 35mm film I've used that uses those clear plastic canisters. Kodak, Agfa, etc all seem to use black canisters.

457790189EOBqCz_fs.jpg

457789531yNdQFO_ph.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HunterSon

Enlightened
Re: Element LED from Sam's mutates into a lantern

I posted a while ago about how a white film canister would screw onto a McLux PR-T head, turning it into an excellent lantern. I also have put the white top off of one of those small glue sticks (you can get at Staples) on my Peak Kilmanjaro AA, turning it into a nice candle.

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
Re: Element LED from Sam's mutates into a lantern (fixed)

I have an Inova XO3 as my everyday carry, and I've used it as a "torch" or even a traffic signal at work to wave down vehicles (I work as an EMT) by holding it along with a sharps shuttle (plastic tube used to store used needles); it's basically the same thing as you mentioned with the film canisters, but about five or six inches long. It would be need if someone made a tapered plastic sleeve for the XO3 that slides over the body when not in use, but pops on to the front when needed...

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
What the heck is Element???

I was at my moms house and she busts out with this light made by a company called Element. I unscrewed the top and it has a lumiled engine. I can't find sqwat about it on the web. I couldnt take a picture of it because she wont let it out of her site. It runs on several AAA's that snap into a module of some sort which in turn slides into the housing. It's bright! Blinded me good so I'm guessing at least 60 lumens. Silver housing unscrews in three places. The switch is on the side ala Mag C or D cell. Comes with a lanyard that ties into a recessed tailcap. It's nice. Let it be known that I tried to buy it from her for the sake of knowledge and she wouldnt have it.:mecry:

What is Element?!?!?!?!?

:huh2:

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What the heck is Element???

It's made by Dorcy... they are sold in two packs at Sam's Club for about $26 or $27 a pair and they are probably the best bargain in a light that size currently. I have two and one of them is brighter and greener than the other which is more violet (and only slightly less bright) and I think it's the brightest 1W light I own.

I think they are true direct drive while many of the 3xAAA lights are resistored such as the Dorcy Metal Gear. My Elements are both definately a fair bit brighter than my Metal Gear.

BlackDecker

Enlightened

I picked up a pair of the Sam's Club Element lights for $26 ($29 with sales tax)at my local Sam's Club. One of mine has a white light, while the second one is more in the violet range. For the money, one of the best flashlight bargains I've seen.

Blacklight

Enlightened

Actually these are not made by Dorcy. They are made in a factory that does a lot of Dorcy product, but the company selling these into SAMs is not Dorcy, its a trade company in Valencia CA.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

mykall said:
It's the same as this light:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/amart_gnf-008.htm

and the same as the silver light sold by Radio Shack.

MB

This is not correct, the sams 1 watt luxeon (AKA the 'element') uses a real lumileds luxeon. The head is also slightly longer, and the switch is slightly lower on the body. If i can find a digi cam I'll post a pic of it.

justsomeguy

Newly Enlightened

"Whatever"

Whatever the Element is, I am very happy with the 2 I got. $13 each. My wife took both....

I am happy with my Q3, L1P, Streamlight TL3.........better stop here. Not caught and killed yet.

S

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened

I purchased a couple Elements from Sam's Club. I pulled one of them apart and it has a nice RY0J Luxeon emitter. I'm fairly new to led's and have no modding experience, but mods to the light seem like they'd be quite easy. Although, with the nice white luxeon and the ability to use aaa nimh's, I'm not sure modding the light is really worth the effort.

baker

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh yeah... it's definately not the same as the Sapphire light from amondo. I had one of the original black Sapphires and the Element is at least two or three times as bright. I've not had a good look at the light from Radio Shack so I don't know which that one is similar to.

Here's a some pics of my Elements.

Two Sam's Elements
IMG_1574a.jpg

Element on left, Dorcy Metal Gear on right
IMG_1569a.jpg

Beamshot from 15 feet of the Sam's Element
IMG_1769%20Elementa.jpg

Same test but with the Metal Gear
IMG_1770%20Metal%20Geara.jpg

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened

Cratz2 posted the exact light. I was impressed but now that I know how little the cost was, I cant see any reason why NOT to pick up a pack... especially with the numerous AAA's I have in my junk drawer.:laughing:

onthebeam

Enlightened

Another vote for the Element. A terrific bargain and super white and bright. (Now I do admit to buying three packs to settle on the two best, returning the other two. . . )

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

onthebeam said:
Another vote for the Element. A terrific bargain and super white and bright. (Now I do admit to buying three packs to settle on the two best, returning the other two. . . )

I have to wonder if these lights will go the way of the Costco 2AA lights if people continue this practice like they did with the Costco lights. The Costco 2AA lights aren't available any more. It can't be very profitable for a retailer to carry a product when 50% or more of the items sold are returned. It works out well for the early adoptors, but not for those who look for the lights later, only to find that they've been discontinued. In this case, two out of three packs were returned.

BlackDecker

Enlightened

I only bought 1 pack of the Element lights, and although one light was slightly more violet than the other, it wasn't enough to return it. I kept them.