Opinions/Facts on SF L2

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I do not have any personal exp. with these, so any info on durability, switch type, beam type, etc. would be very much appreciated. I am looking for a multi level light that could throw about like a 6p in an led if such a beast exists. Thank you for your help.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L2 doesn't really have a beam like the P60 does. Perhaps a better LED beam to compare to the P60 would be the U2/L5. But then I don't feel that outdoors LEDs beams that have the same intensity profile as incandescent beams have the same ability to illuminate at the same distances that incandescents so to my eyes its a mute point.

I carry an L2 as my EDC and prior to that carried an A2. Even though I love the A2 I find the L2 most suitable and appropriate to my uses of light. One of these uses is no longer seeing things at any distances outdoors at night which I guess is why I can accept an LED light over an incandescent.

I really like the L2's two-stage switch - the concept and application makes using the L2 so simple. I find I don't have to lockout the two-stage switch when I carry it clipped inside my pocket. Unlike a standard or clickie switch I don't find that the two-stage switch activates accidentally nearly as often. Even then it only activates on the lower output level which is no big deal for the convience I have of having at least the low output always available.

In terms of form-factor and ergonomics the L2 (and the A2) are about as perfect in terms of dimensions as my hands could ask for. The bodies are long enough that I don't grip part of the bezel in my hand. This means that I have a more secure grip on the flashlight and its less fatiguing to hold it and use the push button pressure switch. I also find the L2 (and the A2) are more secure clipped inside my pocket compared to the L4/E2L for example. It doesn't tend to get caught or snagged on things and tends to hang flatter against my side rather than lean/tilt out at an angle.

There is no flashlight I'd rather EDC and I don't know of any on the horizon that will be able to easily replace it.

Al

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find my L2 the best for area flood lighting out of all of my torches. It has high output and the 2 stage feature is very handy. I also like the dual action of either two stage clickie or two stage twistie. I think it is a great part of my collection.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
Thanks. I was not sure whether the beam was set up for flood or throw. I liked the range of the 15/100 lumens though. I don't neccesarily need huge throw in this light, but did wonder what kind of range it had. Also if it had enough spill to be useful. Thanks again.

MoonRise

Enlightened
The L2 is a darn nice light, but it will not throw all that far. "Far" being a very relative term. For walking outdoors and illuminating your path and things within 30-40 feet in a mixed-light suburban-type environment, the L2 is just fine on low. Need more light? Just activate HIGH and you have 100 lumens instantly. The beam does not have a central hot-spot, it is all a medium-wide flood. Need to light up most of the side of a suburban house at a distance of less than 80 feet or so? The L2 on 100 lumen HIGH will do just that. Need (or want :naughty:) to uniformly light up a 30 foot wide road within 100 feet? The L2 on 100 lumen HIGH will do just that.

Indoors, in typical house/office use, the relatively wide flood beam from the L2 is about perfect. In large spaces or outdoors, the beam is so wide that it gets lost easily.

The physical size and layout and the two stage switch are very nice. The length of the light fits my hands nicely and allows the bezel-end to protrude from a closed fist grip and not have the beam obscured by said hand at all.

Indoors, or relatively close range outdoors, the L2's medium-wide flood is darn nice. The beam characteristic is ALL medium-wide flood, no real central hot-spot.

A P60-type lamp will easily out-throw an L2, just because it is putting a lot of the lumens into a central hot-spot with a quite usable corona/spill as well.

A multi-level LED to throw about like a P60? A U2 would be close, but I think the beam is wider/softer with the U2. A Pelican 3W-HA would be close in hot-spot reach, but that is only one level. A VB-16 with the 4W drive-level would be close, but a little lower overall lumen output.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Cal. said:
I am looking for a multi level light that could throw about like a 6p in an led if such a beast exists. Thank you for your help.

Maybe the SureFire Kroma would fit that description (not sure as I don't own one).

The SureFire A2 Aviator is approximately equal in throw to a 6P.

The Night-Ops/Blackhawk Gladius is a multilevel light that throws almost as well as the 6P.

You might also check McGizmo's Aleph series. They are 2-stage and can be had in a variety of configurations. The Aleph 3 head will outthrow a 6P. Not sure, but you might be able to get these with the new Cree super LED.

Scott

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 is one nice light for walking imho. I used it for hunting before I started using the 27LT. Also, you can use a LITH ION in the L2 which is very nice. It is my favorite SF light.

EV_007

Enlightened
You can't go wrong with the L2.

Nice low light and powerful high beam that lights up thngs pretty well within your immediate surroundings.

The nice even illumination is what sold me on this one.

This is one of my everyday carry lights I rotate in quite often.

The A2 gets slightly more pocket time but the L2 keeps it company now and then.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since most everything that can be said about the L2 has already been said, I will just add that it is one of my MOST used lights and I highly recommend it. Good luck.:)

wmirag

Enlightened
One thing was not mentioned:

The switch can be used three different ways.

1. Press for momentary low then press further for momentary high.

2. Twist to latch low, twist further to latch high.

3. And the most useful to me is...
twist to latch on the low beam and then press for momentary high when you need the extra light.

I absolutely love this light on walks.

W.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
Thank you so much. My current EDC is an L2P w/ 123, which I find very useful. However, many times I wish I had a low on it, as well as something much more on high when needed. I had never seen an L2 in person, so am very glad for some info. Thanks.