Walking light?

Stormstaff

Newly Enlightened
My wife and a girlfriend of hers have started walking, sometimes close to dusk. I'd like to get her a flashlight to carry with her. I'm looking for something to not break the bank and something she'll carry so it would need to be fairly compact.

Suggestions please.

Thanks for your time and help!!!!!

Danbo

Enlightened
Inova XO is one of my favorite smaller, carry sized lights(now, if I can only get my wife to give me mine back!) :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Fenix L1T or L1S - small, compact, dual-stage (hi/low), and runs on common 1AA battery. Difference is in coating, premium tint bin, and AR-coated lens. Civictor V1 also a good choice if you want it a bit smaller and cheaper, but single stage only. See fenix-store.com for good deals.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How often will she walk, and for how long each time? A SL propoly lux is a nice choice, but if she goes often, she will be changing batteries. If size isn't a problem, a Magled 2D would offer closer to 20 hrs runtime on a set of batts, compared to the SL's 4 hrs. All depends on what she will do for care and feeding...

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
photonhoer said:
A terrific light for this purpose would be the Streamlight PolyPro 4AA Lux light. Check out www.flashlightreviews.com for this light - very bright, rugged, low cost, and very reasonable size.

This light?? It is rated 2 out of 5..

flashlightreviews.com said:
UPDATE JULY 2004: After hearing numerous complaints from readers and users of this light I am downgrading the review rating. This is because of multiple premature failures on the part of the LED module. You may notice that the numbers on the Throw vs. Output chart are pretty high for a light with only 7 LEDs. That is because they are being driven with so much current that the LEDs are overheating and many people are experiencing premature failure of the LEDs.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Fenix L1T or L1S. Both are small, slim, use cheap batteries and cost $35-45. Bright with good runtime, too.

wmirag

Enlightened
Start with a stock SureFire G2 for $30. If she continues to walk, upgrade the G2 with a 3W-LED. If she REALLY likes walking, get her the ultimate walking light: SureFire L2.

W.

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
Depends on how she'd use it. For quick bursts/spots, I'd say the SF G2. For constant on when it gets dark, then I concur with the SL PP luxeon or a maglite 2c LED.

Stormstaff

Newly Enlightened
I'm liking the look and specs of the Fenix lights. Before I place an order, do members get a discount?

Coop57

Enlightened
Before you order a Fenix you need to ask yourself/your wife a few more questions. Will she need to use this light as a defensive weapon? If possible (dogs / badguys) you might want to consider a larger light like a MagLite 2C LED. Long runtime, nice throw and nice weapon heft. Just a thought.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Stormstaff, for your/her requirements, I second Danbo's advice re the Inova XO LED. Just make sure it's the new version. The rugged XO's tail-switch may also be the easiest for your wife's fingers to manipulate.

The nifty Fenix L2T (better runtime than the L1T) is a possibility, but its clicky tail-switch may not hold up to the constant on-off use that many night-walkers tend to initiate -- or should be doing -- instead of thoughtless, battery-draining constant-on.

The multiple recommendation's for Surefire's bargain-priced G2 Nitrolon incan also make good sense if her walks (at dusk) are in areas of vegetation-shadowed ambient light that can wash out most mid-power LEDs. However, unless she'll habitually carry extra batteries, the G2's 1 hr. (45 min. peak) runtime becomes problematic.

I've tried over a dozen lights for our particular night-walk requirements. I want a light with a beam that (a) punches through tree-shadows and ambient light to act as my Early-Warning Radar -- alerting me as to what dangers may be lurking beyond, (b) is bright enough to warn aggressive cars/drivers who may not see us, and (c) can MAYBE temporarily stun a nasty stray dog (of the 2 OR 4 legged variety) until I can bring a better weapon to bear on the problem.

Urban parks and suburban walk-paths are magnets for Muggers/Rapists... and naive Victims. Does your wife also carry (at least) a good brand of O.C. peppergas?

While I occasionally use an Inova XO3 or SF A2 (i.e., when wet or foggy conditions dictate this), the light the works best for me 90% of the time is the great SF L5 LED. It's pricey ($150+) but its magnificently balanced beam (wide flood + good throw) touches all the bases. The L5 is built like a tank and makes an emergency impact weapon. I figure our lives are worth the extra $100 cost (plus another $25/yr for batteries) over lesser lights. I also carry a Fenix P1 (keychain) and SF E2L (pocket) as back-ups -- and I've had occasions to need 'em.

I understand family budgets, but I fail to grasp corner-cutting on crucial safety items like tires, weapons, and flashlights. For me, it's about priorities.

Good luck with your search. Your wife is lucky to have you prepare her for the realities of the Real World.

ginaz

Enlightened
what kind of batteries do you want to be using? 123's are expensive unless you order them online. if you don't keep a supply on hand you can't rob a remote for the evening walk. i'd recommend a AA light and amongst those: Fenix L2T, PT surge, Minimag LED.

Stormstaff

Newly Enlightened
After more thought on my part, I'm going to stay away from the 123's for this light for the reason given above. AA's will be easier on the budget.

If nothing else, if she doesn't like what I get her, I'll have another light for myself and I'll have to try again
rolleye11.gif